Buell riders dragging knees in the mountains

Wrench

Established Member
FIREBOLT :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

One of the most under rated bikes on the market. A true monster

04SVTF

Established Member
Under rated for a reason...that motor blows. If HD would actually get on the ball and make a twin up to par with the other manufacturers, they'd have a sick bike. Nice bike...nimble, radial brakes are cool, just a crappy powerplant.

blowfishRus6

Established Member
crappy powerplants?? my dad had a thunderbolt and it would run a ninga 1200 up in till 120 when then the ninga would start to leave but the ninga winds out to 16,500rpm when the buell only reved to 7,000. the ninga would just keep winding out gears and slow start to leave. i think the buell makes more tourk also. plus tha firebolt is even faster than the thunderbolt. there pretty good for harley davidson...considering they only make crusiers besides the buell..this is speaking from actual experence....PLUS...no other import bike sounds as sweet as a buell does..its amarican muscle for ya

04SVTF

Established Member
That motor is a out of a sportster( a heavy cruiser)...old design...low redline...sorry to say, but if you put that bike up against a ZX10r(ninja) or a zx6r(ninja) it'll get smoked...with a competant rider that is.

The xb12r has something like 84lbs of tq. and 104 hp. A new 600 puts out almost the same...little less tq. A new R1 puts out 80lbs of tq. and 185 hp. So yeah..I'd say the powerplant is lacking. Look how well Buell does AMA FX.

Wrench

Established Member
but not one of thos bikes handle like the firbolt. The R1 is for wheelies only....turns like a turd. You are trying to compare apples and oranges. You keep your rice bike. The only one I ever cared for was th TL1000. Another V powerplant. The newer firebolt with a 1000cc plant is no pushover. Naturaly a 1200 will have a better plant, but the ninja or the busa would never be able to keep up if you were to put a couple of turns in the road. There is a reason you don't see those bikes racing.

Last edited:

04SVTF

Established Member
R1....for wheelies only? C'mon. Do some research on the "wheelie machine" before you say something along those lines. Look at the lineup in AMA...Tell me how many Buells you see...and out of those buells..how many finish in the top ten.

I'm not gonna deny that the xb12r is nimble...but that's the only thing it's got going for it.

I have a TL 1000S(for another month anyway)...it'll mow down a zxb12r any day of the week.

Sanchez

Don't Panic
Established Member
04SVTF said:
That motor is a out of a sportster( a heavy cruiser)...old design...low redline...

The block is the same, but the top end is different. The Buell version of the engine puts out a lot more horsepower than the Sportster version.

sorry to say, but if you put that bike up against a ZX10r(ninja) or a zx6r(ninja) it'll get smoked...with a competant rider that is.

Only in a long straight line. A 2003+ XB Buell will out corner just about any other bike on the road. Bike magazine actually rated the Firebolt #1 in its top 50 cornering bikes of all time.

The xb12r has something like 84lbs of tq. and 104 hp. A new 600 puts out almost the same...little less tq.

You're only comparing peak numbers. Sure a new 600 will put out 100+ horsepower, but it has to rev up to 15k rpms to do it. Those bikes are dogs down low. The Buell will peak at 1/3 the revs. It's like comparing a high-winding 4 banger to a V8. Sure, if you spin the 4 cylinder high enough, you'll reach the same peak numbers, but how much fun is it to drive?

Sanchez

Don't Panic
Established Member
blowfishRus6 said:
PLUS...no other import bike sounds as sweet as a buell does..its amarican muscle for ya

Hell yeah. I love having a bike that sounds like a cammed out muscle car.

Wrench

Established Member
04SVTF said:
R1....for wheelies only? C'mon. Do some research on the "wheelie machine" before you say something along those lines. Look at the lineup in AMA...Tell me how many Buells you see...and out of those buells..how many finish in the top ten.

I'm not gonna deny that the xb12r is nimble...but that's the only thing it's got going for it.

I have a TL 1000S(for another month anyway)...it'll mow down a zxb12r any day of the week.
I had an R1, and while they are more then powerful, the handling is left wanting. I would much sooner ride the RC51 over that bike any day of the week. Don't get me wrong the R1 was fun but just not friendly. As for the TL....that is why I mantioned the bike. Another of the truely under rated. But I don't think it would " MOW DOWN " the xb12r. I would say the Buell is a little under powered, but it handles like a dream.

fatboy01

Gonzo
Established Member
If you buy any of the top rated sportbikes; R1, R6, 600RR, zx10r, zx6r, GSXr.... I'd say 95% of the riders will never be able to use the bike to anywhere near what it was built to do. Those bikes are straight racing machines. An AMA rider could take a bike off the showroom floor, put some slicks on it, adjust the stock suspension, put a on a new slip-on, and a chip (all of which are common street mods, minus the slicks) and would put up decent competition against the other machines. For the street, the race bikes are silly in my opinion. Take them to the track and enjoy the performance.

If your carving up some backroads, get somethin light and nimble, like an SV650. Most riders can get all they could want out of a motorcycle with a bike like that. Rider friendly, better ergonomics, ect. But lots of people want the biggest, fastest, most powerful bike. But who needs a 9-sec bike on the street?

04SVTF

Established Member
fatboy01 said:
If you buy any of the top rated sportbikes; R1, R6, 600RR, zx10r, zx6r, GSXr.... I'd say 95% of the riders will never be able to use the bike to anywhere near what it was built to do. Those bikes are straight racing machines. An AMA rider could take a bike off the showroom floor, put some slicks on it, adjust the stock suspension, put a on a new slip-on, and a chip (all of which are common street mods, minus the slicks) and would put up decent competition against the other machines. For the street, the race bikes are silly in my opinion. Take them to the track and enjoy the performance.

If your carving up some backroads, get somethin light and nimble, like an SV650. Most riders can get all they could want out of a motorcycle with a bike like that. Rider friendly, better ergonomics, ect. But lots of people want the biggest, fastest, most powerful bike. But who needs a 9-sec bike on the street?

Agree 100%...

Seems like guys buy litre bikes, just to say they have one. I got one cause I'm lazy and like the powerband of the 1000 twin :lol1: have to ride the 600's like you hate em...not to fun for city riding :lol1:

Iman01

Established Member
I thought they were going slow, until I saw how much that camera bounced. That road was not smooth enough in the corners to go too crazy.

That was cool relating the 4cyl vs V8 to the inline 4 vs big jug twins.

The Buell puts power down where you will use it on the street, down low. Makes for a fun street bike. The inline 4's put down nice race bike power, high winding, with lots of top speed. On the street when you are doing 120 on 2 wheels, you really should get out of it. If you hit anything on a bike at that speed, you lose.

Slo3kgtVtr

Established Member
93LXHatch said:
Who Cares? Honestly, does it really matter as long as they like it?

BTW link dont work.
Sorry, the link works for me. I just want to dispell any misconceptions that buell's out-corner sportbikes all-together. It's simply not true.

Sanchez

Don't Panic
Established Member
Slo3kgtVtr said:
Sorry, the link works for me. I just want to dispell any misconceptions that buell's out-corner sportbikes all-together. It's simply not true.

The PDF you linked showed the Buell as the fastest bike of the bunch ...

PerformanceBikesSeptember2004.png

... and by the widest margin. True, it wasn't the fastest in every corner, but it was the overall winner by more than a second.

TicketMaster

Venemous,
If your not impressed meet me at deals gap, or if you would rather the safe route, come on down to Jennings GP with your 165 hp yamaha and I will pass you in the corners at speeds you can only achive in a straightaway!

Whats up Sanchez! Thought I would Chime in. :lol:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread