what all can be done for weight reduction?

03cobrarocks

Established Member
I was wondering if we could start a thread that says what all you can do for weight reduction/wieght distribution on these cars for a reasonable price...

so help me out with any of the ones I forget...

this is what I have found so far

removal of spare tire and jack... about 30-40 pounds free mod

removal of something inbetween the exhaust... about 12 pounds free mod

rear seat delete kit and remove the seatbelts in the back... 60 pounds about $200

racing seats up front.... depending on what brand save 30 to 50 pounds and anywhere from 800+ dollars

solid axle... I beleive you save about 160 pounds... I am not going to do this mod tho but I have heard a wide range of prices

coilovers and k memeber... have no idea how much wieght but dunno if its worth the cost

battery relocation kit... takes off about 30 pounds off the front for I think 140 dollars

please correct me if I am incorrect in any of my above statements... and please add any other wieght mods you can do that arent completely ridiculous (like no a/c, no powerstearing, etc)

Screamin Cobra

Slam'd Cam'd Z06
Established Member
you could go on a major weight loss diet :beer:
LAY OFF THE BEER!!! ...j/k :coolman:

I think you pretty much covered it, other than maybe carbon fiber body panels if possible...hood, etc.
BBS has a wheel that weighs less than most other wheels.
Thats about all that I would say is possible, unless you shave everything off on the outside (vents, wing, windshield wiper) and delete the Air Condition.
...and kick your wife out the car.

Last edited:

GodStang

Established Member
Cobrabob has a nice write up of what can be done to lose weight on his website.

GodStang

Established Member
zinc03svt said:
What is the removal of "something between the exhaust mod"????

The weight that hangs between the exhaust from the pumpkin. I removed mine and had no ill effects.

mosconiac

Established Member
From CobraBob's website:
To reduce the amount of weight on the Cobra, the following items may be removed:
1. Jack and lugwrench: 6.0lbs
2. Spare tire and hold-down: 27.0lbs
3. Stock battery: 37.5lbs
4. Rear seat: 37.0lbs
5. Rear seatbelts: 5.0lbs
6. Supercharger pulley guard: 2.0lbs
7. Differential weight: 7.5lbs
8. Mach460 head unit: 5.5lbs
9. Mach460 rear enclosure w/amps: 22.0lbs
10. Mach460 front speakers: 5.0lbs
11. Front driver seat: 62.0lbs
12. Front passenger seat: 43.0lbs

Total Deleted Weight: 262.5lbs
This mod was developed by Mjchip

Here's a GREAT old thread with gobs of info (well, the first page anyway). The "differential weight" is also called a "dogbone".

http://www.mustangworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=259967

Last edited:

OmahaStang

Established Member
Does anyone/site make a fiberglass/carbon fiber rear 'trunk lid' for our cars?
I know they make one for the 'fox' coupes but that design is much easier!!

Just curious is all for I've seen the carbon fiber hoods etc..Not to Hijack the thread either..

Also what about for the 'serious' racer to remove the side mirrors and replace them with some light weigh aftermarket ones and or manual ones.

Last edited:

Swervedriver

Established Member
The exedy clutch only weighs 24lbs shipping wt. The stock clutch fw pp weighs something like 50+ lbs.

Wheels can make a HUGE difference in weight.

1/4 tank gas...

There's a 4lbs weight in the clutch fork.

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
Others have already mentioned lighter wheels, this reduces rotating mass, and unsprung weight. That is where I would start as well. I would also relocate the battery to the trunk, this takes weight off the nose of car and puts it where its really needed, over the rear tires. I would leave the spare tire and jack for just that reason.

03cobrarocks

Established Member
03Sssnake said:
Others have already mentioned lighter wheels, this reduces rotating mass, and unsprung weight. That is where I would start as well. I would also relocate the battery to the trunk, this takes weight off the nose of car and puts it where its really needed, over the rear tires. I would leave the spare tire and jack for just that reason.

yes I am thinking of moving the battery soon.. but there is no reason for me to keep my spare in the back becuase I have a freaking 10w7 in a huge ass box back there... I need to get a smaller box so I can take the sub out when I race :bash:

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Tiger-racing.com has carbon fiber body parts(road race focused parts)....

This is the famous Carol Hollfelder hand controls car..
She was injured in a motorcycle accident in 87... Amazing person!!! and an amazing driver!!!

http://www.tiger-racing.com/images/sale_pic.jpg

Tiger Racing is now offering a limited list of custom bodywork for late model Mustangs. These pieces were developed for the World Challenge GT series with ultimate weight saving, strength and function in mind. All parts are constructed out of the highest quality carbon and kevlar honeycombs in the market today. These parts are made of the proper materials and are real carbon race parts that are all vacuum bagged, not fiberglass pieces with a layer of carbon cloth on the outside for the carbon look.

We also have a number of vintage, exotic and race cars for sale.

sale_pic.jpg

TacticalKaos

Established Member
Obviously go for a set of light weight wheels as lightening moving parts as a much larger effect. Other than that carbon fiber every thing you can and remove everything non-essential. If you're really serious about it take out the AC and radio as well as the door panels and dash. I know a guy with an STi that took a plasma cutter to his car as soon as he got it home from the dealership (he's filthy rich and had his parts waiting in his garage when he got home). He cut every piece of metal he could out of the thing. I almost cried. Riped the carpet out, the dash, absolutely everything. Granted its an absolute animal of a track car but it's pretty funny on the street. First car I was ever in that I could hear the gas sloshing around in the tank because of no insulation or rear seat.

Users who are viewing this thread