those with 11" wide wheels, what offset?

venomous99

Established Member
im trying to determine what the correct offset will be for 11" wide wheels. this will be going on a non-irs cobra so there isnt an issue with any IRS bolt/brackets.
ive run 17x11" and 315s with no spacers but forget what offset the wheels were.

Top_Fuel

Person of Interest
Established Member
Guys with CCWs should know. Aren't those wheels 11" wide? :shrug:

krisco243

Established Member
i would call ccw for what offset the use for the cobra, i have them but just told them the aplication and was never told what offset was given.

venomous99

Established Member
yeah ccw has 11" wide wheels but im not going with those wheels. did some searching on this and found that a 27mm offset will work on a 11" wheel. this was from american racing's website which ive confirmed on a set of AR XR Lemans that were 17x11 on my 95gt. the wheels fit perfectly and only required the quad to be flipped.

krisco243

Established Member
yeah sorry, i didn't mean to buy them(although they rock :rockon: ) i just ment to ask them what offset they use for the platform. they were very helpfull each time i contacted them.

venomous99

Established Member
i originally was going to go with CCW but their prices have gone up and actually when i questioned them about the 19x11" wide sp5000s fitment they mentioned that i may need to add a small spacer for clearance. the optimal offset(which i forgot) was not possible with the type of process and slug they use to create the wheel or something of that sort. im not a wheel processing expert but thats what i was told by the owner john.

the wheel manufacturer im going with will have their recommended offset but i want to confirm the offset they come up with.

Christian

Ready To Run
Established Member
The offsets to run a large tire (315 BFG or 335), you'll want to have a wheel with a 22mm offset. The backspacing should be or about 6.25" - I believe. The infamous SSR GTR3s as well as Racing Harts and Volk Racing wheels (Japanese models) come with this and are able to accomodate a 335 without the use of spacers. I believe the offset applies whether it's an 18 or 19" wheel. 26, 27 or 28mm for the rears will more than likely be on a 10 or 10.5" wheel and will require a spacer if running the larger size tires - keeping in mind that the largest 19" tire is the Goodyear Supercar tire which, I think, comes in a 325 30 19 or is it a 345??? It comes on the Ford GT. Most will run 305 or smaller.

As for the CCWs... their Classics in 18x11 variety, most likely, will be th 22mm offset. I had 335 Pilots without spacer and no rubbing - even when the suspension was completely unloaded.

Hope this helps:beer:
Christian

venomous99

Established Member
Christian said:
The offsets to run a large tire (315 BFG or 335), you'll want to have a wheel with a 22mm offset. The backspacing should be or about 6.25" - I believe. The infamous SSR GTR3s as well as Racing Harts and Volk Racing wheels (Japanese models) come with this and are able to accomodate a 335 without the use of spacers. I believe the offset applies whether it's an 18 or 19" wheel. 26, 27 or 28mm for the rears will more than likely be on a 10 or 10.5" wheel and will require a spacer if running the larger size tires - keeping in mind that the largest 19" tire is the Goodyear Supercar tire which, I think, comes in a 325 30 19 or is it a 345??? It comes on the Ford GT. Most will run 305 or smaller.

As for the CCWs... their Classics in 18x11 variety, most likely, will be th 22mm offset. I had 335 Pilots without spacer and no rubbing - even when the suspension was completely unloaded.

Hope this helps:beer:
Christian

christian, the best offset running wide tires on a 10.5" wheel would be a 22mm which is the same on the SSR GT3 and RH C4.
offset is a measure of the distance from the wheel center to the mounting hub surface. once u change the width of the rim, the offset component will likely change.
with a 11, you'll likely want a 27mm offset which is a lil less than 7" of backspacing. i ran this setup on an old 95 gt which sported american racing xr lemans in 17x11 with 315s. only had to flip the quad to make this work and didnt even have to roll the lips. i couldnt find this info earlier but tracked it down on a site.

let me know if u change your mind on those volks for the ones im getting. :-D

Christian

Ready To Run
Established Member
venomous99 said:
christian, the best offset running wide tires on a 10.5" wheel would be a 22mm which is the same on the SSR GT3 and RH C4.
offset is a measure of the distance from the wheel center to the mounting hub surface. once u change the width of the rim, the offset component will likely change.
with a 11, you'll likely want a 27mm offset which is a lil less than 7" of backspacing. i ran this setup on an old 95 gt which sported american racing xr lemans in 17x11 with 315s. only had to flip the quad to make this work and didnt even have to roll the lips. i couldnt find this info earlier but tracked it down on a site.

let me know if u change your mind on those volks for the ones im getting. :-D
Thanks... I did some looking on the 11" and you're absolutely right! I should have waited for the ones you're getting... can't wait to see them... I just got word that the rears will be here in a couple of days. You better post some pics when you're setup:beer:

Christian

rACeRs

Established Member
18x11 ccw 6.75" backspacing, with these wheels and 315 bfg's I had to roll the crap out of my fenders

17x10.5 afs 03-04 cobra replicas 6.91" backspacing, no rolling needed to run the 315 bfg's. The added backspacing works good.

I would run as much backspacing as you can if you want to run the bfg 315's (a wide 315)

:beer:

venomous99

Established Member
rACeRs said:
18x11 ccw 6.75" backspacing, with these wheels and 315 bfg's I had to roll the crap out of my fenders

17x10.5 afs 03-04 cobra replicas 6.91" backspacing, no rolling needed to run the 315 bfg's. The added backspacing works good.

I would run as much backspacing as you can if you want to run the bfg 315's (a wide 315)

:beer:

the reason why the ccw were 6.75" was to clear the IRS bolt. on solid axle stang the 7" would be fine as i ran that with AR XR lemans which are 17x11. surprsing you were able to run the 17x10/5" cobras with no spacer. I ran a similar offset(28mm vs the 27mm on the AFS cobras) on 18x10.5" saleens on my former 03 cobra and needed to run a 1/8" spacer to clear the bolt..even then it was really marginal.

BuffDigits

Bling - Bling
Established Member
well i can comment that the offset on a SSR GT3 works fine, I have 335/35/18's on SSR's with no spacers and only a dime sized piece taken off the irs bolts :)

venomous99

Established Member
yeah the ssr uses a 22mm offset ON A 10.5" wide rim. offset changes when you increase the width the wheel and is the reason why the 27mm offset on a 11" wide wheel is correct.

2kx2

Established Member
LOL, why wouldn't you do it again? What problems have you encountered? Would a wider wheel have alleviated any of the issues, or a narrower tire?

BuffDigits

Bling - Bling
Established Member
couple reasons

1)335 pilot sports are freakn expensive and on a 700hp car nothing is going to last long so no point
2)335's do not correctly fit on a 10.5 inch rim, sure you can shoe horn then on there but your not getting any better traction then you would with a smaller tire.
3)they are too wide if you want to get the car nice and low in the rear, the fender(outer) would rub the tire (thank god I dont have spacers) anytime I hit a bump or had more then 1 person in the car, so I had to jack the rear end back up to prevent the fender from slicing open my 375 dollar(each) tires.

already have my replacement tires that are not installed yet
BFG KDW 2's, half the price, better tread wear rating, better rated in wet and dry weather, readily available (in case you pop one unlike the 335)

BFG's are wide so I went to a 255 front (same width as 275 pilot), and 295 rear (less then an inch smaller then the 335, i said bfg's were wide right?)

but small enough I can lower the car a bunch more (get my handling back)
its a size that actually fits so ill get the full contact patch now (unlike the 335's) and I didnt have to spend a fortune on them.

pilots rock in handling and rain, and are not great in dry weather.

so been there done that, wouldnt do it again.

DKS2814V

Moderately Modified
Established Member
BuffDigits said:
couple reasons

1)335 pilot sports are freakn expensive and on a 700hp car nothing is going to last long so no point
2)335's do not correctly fit on a 10.5 inch rim, sure you can shoe horn then on there but your not getting any better traction then you would with a smaller tire.
3)they are too wide if you want to get the car nice and low in the rear, the fender(outer) would rub the tire (thank god I dont have spacers) anytime I hit a bump or had more then 1 person in the car, so I had to jack the rear end back up to prevent the fender from slicing open my 375 dollar(each) tires.

already have my replacement tires that are not installed yet
BFG KDW 2's, half the price, better tread wear rating, better rated in wet and dry weather, readily available (in case you pop one unlike the 335)

BFG's are wide so I went to a 255 front (same width as 275 pilot), and 295 rear (less then an inch smaller then the 335, i said bfg's were wide right?)

but small enough I can lower the car a bunch more (get my handling back)
its a size that actually fits so ill get the full contact patch now (unlike the 335's) and I didnt have to spend a fortune on them.

pilots rock in handling and rain, and are not great in dry weather.

so been there done that, wouldnt do it again.

+1, I had a conversation at work about this very topic today...

The pilots aren't really worth it in my opinion.

Users who are viewing this thread