Sylvania Silvertar vs Stock Halogen ( pics! )

REX-RACER

Testing w/ the live data!
Established Member
So I spent this afternoon getting the car ready for a 1-1/2 week road trip coming up this weekend. Since the first leg is going to be a night drive about 800 miles starting around 10 p.m. I decided to try out a pair of the Sylvania Silver Star Ultra halogen bulbs that I've heard so much about. In reality the headlights in my '01 are some of the best headlights I've seen in a car that has non-HID headlights so I was curious to see how much different or better these would be.

To make a comparison I changed out one light and took these pics for a side-by-side comparison. There really was a distinct difference but it may not show up the best in these pics cuase of my crappy camera. The interesting thing I didn't know here was that the passenger side bulb I left in for comparison sake was apparently a replacement Sylvania bulb apparently replaced before I bought the car.

old=passenger side / new=driver side:
headlights_old2.jpg

headlights_old3.jpg

headlights_old.jpg

both new bulbs:
headlights_new2.jpg

headlights_new.jpg

headlights_new3.jpg

( now comments about my messy garage! :( )

As you can see there is a significant difference in brightness of the bulbs. Of course it could be due to the fact that the old bulb was 3+ years old and faded somewhat, but frankly the SilverStar Ultras appear to have the closest brightness to HIDs I've seen. I took a little ride after dark and these lights show up highway signs significantly brighter than the stock lights and at a greater distance! For $50 I'd say this was definitely a worth while improvement! :thumbsup:

As a side bar, I have to say replacing the headlamp bulbs in this car is the easiest I've ever seen. The hardest part is getting the pins out that secures the lens assembly. Once you figure out how it's done, both bulbs can be changed it less than 10 minutes! The Ford engineers actually got this one right!!!

DuffManRHA

The cake is not a lie.
Established Member
i have a set of these in my fox, and while i can't say they compare to HIDs, the part that i liked was that the light seemed "cleaner" in that everything was more clear when driving at night down various roads... plus a tad brighter :)

Eric

ex-PJs snake

That Others May Live
Established Member
Nice write-up, Rex-Racer.

As for this mention--that you left yourself open to:
REX-RACER said:
( now comments about my messy garage! :( )
Umm, yeah, I am not going to say anything other than mention that apparently you l-o-v-e pizza and collecting plastic bottles. ;-)

Good luck and be safe on your upcoming road trip. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

quick01snake

Your View
Established Member
i have the regular silverstars for headlights and fogs...i've been hooked on them for about 3 years now....they provide better light, and they look much better as well...BTW i think the stock bulbs are regular sylvanias...

REX-RACER

Established Member
ex-PJs snake said:
Umm, yeah, I am not going to say anything other than mention that apparently you l-o-v-e pizza and collecting plastic bottles. ;-)

Good luck and be safe on your upcoming road trip. :thumbsup:
The pizzas are Sunday "football food"! :-D Actually that's my "be kinder to the environment" project. All that cardboard and the empty plastic bottles go to the recycling center once a month, which is actually today . . . one day too late for the pics though. :( :lol1:

quick01snake said:
i have the regular silverstars for headlights and fogs...i've been hooked on them for about 3 years now....they provide better light, and they look much better as well...BTW i think the stock bulbs are regular sylvanias...

Huh, I didn't know you could get the fogs too, but then I didn't really look. I figured I'd gives the headlights a test first. I'll leave it to you Hamilton to do a comparison of the regular SilverStars and the Ultras! :thumbsup:

ROADFOOLSRIDE

Local Pavement Ripper
Established Member
I made the switch from Silverstarts to a HID conversion. Once you get used to the Silverstarts they even seem dull. I'm sure steping up to the Ultra will passify the urge from getting HID, and the cost.

REX-RACER

Established Member
ROADFOOLSRIDE said:
I made the switch from Silverstarts to a HID conversion. Once you get used to the Silverstarts they even seem dull. I'm sure steping up to the Ultra will passify the urge from getting HID, and the cost.
How much was the HID conversion and where did you have it done?

MachME

2V Power
Established Member
When i put mine in, i coudl tell no difference looking at them.

But once i got in the car it was way white.

Now, i dont use fogs lights bc there stock lol.

Good, cheap mod, onyl took what 5min?

pest36

Established Member
i might have to get some when i get some extra cash, i hate the stock headlight bulbs.

and speakin of messy garages... you've never seen mine. i'll be lucky to get my car in there for the winter.

Users who are viewing this thread