The Good, The Bad, The Ugly

dgussin1

If I offend you, IDGAF
Established Member
Let's start with the Good: I made it to the track and got a new best on street tires and ET Streets.

The bad: I did it without the metco pulley.

The ugly: After being installed, the metco pulley came off the blower snout (due to it being .002 too large) and screwed up the belt, so this is what I had to work with as a belt the entire day. I was not making much boost as you can tell by my mph. I am on the stock pulley.

shelby105.gif

video: http://videos.streetfire.net/video/9311ddeb-d033-4dfe-8d36-9877015cdf45.htm

Here are the slips

on 26x10.5x16 ET streets

also had a 11.606 @ 118.73, 11.62 @ 118.18 and other 11.7-11.8's.

on 295/35/19 bfg kdw2 street radials

my previous best on ET Street Radials was:

and on street tires

Last edited:

SteveEvo8

Established Member
Hey great times regardless of the problems!!!

I am sorry to see what the pulley did to your belt. I do not know much about metco but did they say that pulley would work no problem? Please pardon my newbness to the GT500 market.

Looks like you are on track to be in the 10's in no time!!

Kudos once again:thumbsup: :thumbsup: .

Steve

dgussin1

If I offend you, IDGAF
Established Member
SteveEvo8 said:
Hey great times regardless of the problems!!!

I am sorry to see what the pulley did to your belt. I do not know much about metco but did they say that pulley would work no problem? Please pardon my newbness to the GT500 market.

Looks like you are on track to be in the 10's in no time!!

Kudos once again:thumbsup: :thumbsup: .

Steve

nobody else has had problems with the metco pulley. I would guess it was the cross tolerances from the snout size to the hub size of the pulley. It was .002 off, but that was enough for it to not be held on strong enough. 11.59 on the stock pulley with a slipping belt isn't bad if you ask me.

PilledV8s

Established Member
dgussin1 said:
nobody else has had problems with the metco pulley. I would guess it was the cross tolerances from the snout size to the hub size of the pulley. It was .002 off, but that was enough for it to not be held on strong enough. 11.59 on the stock pulley with a slipping belt isn't bad if you ask me.

Great video footage...what did that H/C/sprayed GTO run?
What the heck did that C5 have on it, that thing started hauling asp in 3rd..
again, great video footage.

oh yea, get that belt fixed

dgussin1

If I offend you, IDGAF
Established Member
PilledV8s said:
Great video footage...what did that H/C/sprayed GTO run?
What the heck did that C5 have on it, that thing started hauling asp in 3rd..
again, great video footage.

oh yea, get that belt fixed
c5 was h/c/i auto, stall, gears, blah blah. he ran 10.8 @ 125 w/ a 1.4 60'. The GTO ran a 11.7X off the bottle and 10.9 on the bottle. It's h/c/i, gears, auto, stall...pretty much same as vette. he said 430rwhp off the juice (150 shot).

mds370

Established Member
that sucks about the belt and pulley issues. Still looks like you made the best out of it !! I'm heading back fri and sat to see if I can get a low 12 before starting the mods. Sunday is the last day of racing at my local track

Doc GTO

Local 10 sec Caddie
Established Member
Great times even with the problem. I though we never see fast GTOs at the track???? I'm confused! =-)

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Dave:

I'd say you did pretty well with the equipment you had to work with? Pulley and belt gets you 10's me thinks?

Good luck on the endeavor!

:thumbsup: :coolman: :beer:

JETSOLVER

Where is Coletti?
Established Member
Did you get the rear arms on? If so, do you think that a 1.6 60 is as good as gets in more or less stock trim? And thanks for being the early adopter, I KNOW its not easy....

Fastlane Cobra

Established Member
Great times for so few mods. AWESOME!!! I guess I will get one of those newer Cobras ( or Shelby) next. I have to have fun playing with my suspension in my 03 first. I want to do coil overs and upgrade the IRS. Thanks for the inspiration.

dgussin1

If I offend you, IDGAF
Established Member
11ride4life said:
Ggreat times especially considering the belt problem!
Did you get my PM?
thanks... I didn't see your PM.

mds370 said:
that sucks about the belt and pulley issues. Still looks like you made the best out of it !! I'm heading back fri and sat to see if I can get a low 12 before starting the mods. Sunday is the last day of racing at my local track

Good luck this weekend! A tune will definitely get you there, it really wakes the car up!

Doc GTO said:
Great times even with the problem. I though we never see fast GTOs at the track???? I'm confused! =-)
the goat was quick, but it was heavily modded and he still couldn't keep up unless he was on the 150 shot. He was with a few others that were running 14's.

ac427cobra said:
Dave:

I'd say you did pretty well with the equipment you had to work with? Pulley and belt gets you 10's me thinks?

Good luck on the endeavor!

I agree! I just found out GLD is open this weekend, I may hit it up and get my 10 second pass. If I go, you've gotta come down.

JETSOLVER said:
Did you get the rear arms on? If so, do you think that a 1.6 60 is as good as gets in more or less stock trim? And thanks for being the early adopter, I KNOW its not easy....

I did get the rear arms on, and they made the suspension feel much tighter. Those with the panhard bar made the car handle much better. The best way to describe it would be that before I would put the front end into the turn and then the rear would follow...now I put the front end in and the rear stays with it. And the driveshaft doesn't hit anymore.

The way I have my suspension set up makes it harder to launch than stock. I feel if I had the stock suspension, I would have some 1.5's...which I still don't think is out of the question with my setup.

Stripe Delete said:
Still great times.:)

Dave when do the strips close up there for winter?

That was Byron's last day. GLD is still open.

Fastlane Cobra said:
Great times for so few mods. AWESOME!!! I guess I will get one of those newer Cobras ( or Shelby) next. I have to have fun playing with my suspension in my 03 first. I want to do coil overs and upgrade the IRS. Thanks for the inspiration.

Thanks! Here is a good link to check out to see a good starter package for an IRS car. http://www.modularfords.com/forums/reference-forum/suspension-plans-any-suggestions-22007.html

Tucker said:
Dave, did you contact Aaron and get things straight?
Keep me posted.
Great times for a 4 rib...

Jay
they overnighted me a second pulley which had the same problem. I drove around for a minute before it walked off and saw ~14psi on the gauge. I am about to call them again, am I wrong in thinking they should get a belt for me too?

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
dgussin1 said:
I agree! I just found out GLD is open this weekend, I may hit it up and get my 10 second pass. If I go, you've gotta come down.

Dave:

I'd love to but this weekend I hope to be painting my race shop!?!? :-D

Not my idea of fun, but it needs to be done! :(

Good luck if you go! I hope the weather holds out for you?!?

dgussin1

If I offend you, IDGAF
Established Member
Spoke to metco, they are sending me a new pulley and are going to start making all of their hubs smaller from now on. He didn't offer a belt, so I called the dealer and ordered one. $68 for 2 belts.

Users who are viewing this thread