question about new DFX

crizzut

Established Member
I just installed the DFX 6 puck clutch package, everything feels normal except it seems there's no way to get it into first smoothly. It seems from a stop I have to keep the RPMs close to 2k when I fully realease the clutch or else the car will buck a lil bit. Is this normal for a 6puck DFX?

Jpjr

Established Member
crizzut said:
I just installed the DFX 6 puck clutch package, everything feels normal except it seems there's no way to get it into first smoothly. It seems from a stop I have to keep the RPMs close to 2k when I fully realease the clutch or else the car will buck a lil bit. Is this normal for a 6puck DFX?

Yep. Welcome to the wonderful world of on/off clutches :) It should get better with break-in...

03yllwguy

Daily driven since 2003
Established Member
Completely normal... I drive stop and go traffic daily and got used to it real quick...

BWH2003

Established Member
When I put mine in for the first time it acted like that. It was probably the worst clutch I had ever put in. Took it all out and discovered that the pressure plate wasnt flat. From inside to outside it had a .008 difference. Then I looked at the disc and realized that after about 50 miles only the top 10% of the disc was touching. It didnt even come close to contacting the remaining 80% of each puck. I thought that was ridiculous and called centerforce. They told me that its completely normal and that over time the pressure plate would heat up and warp itself straight. I still think their crazy. Im supposed to drive the car around with 10% of the disc pulling a 3700 lb car for 500 miles?? Either way I got a second pressure plate and it was still way off so I took it to a local clutch shop and had then cut it flat like it should be from centerforce. Stuck it in the car and problem solved. It barely chatters with only 30 miles on it and no more odd first gear starts. Before I would have to rev the shit out of it to keep it from shaking the whole car. Now all I do is take off like I did with the stock clutch. And it stopped chattering between gears like it did when only a small bit of the clutch was engaging.

All I know is if you buy a centerforce package look at your pressure plate. Put a straight edge on it and you will see daylight towards the center of the mating surface. My guess is that some people recieve pressure plates that are maybe only .002 to .006 off and dont have this issue. But for people like me that recieve it .006 to .012 off, they seem to have horrible issues. Some like extreme chatter, chatter between gears, etc. This theory would explain why some have such good luck with their dfx vs the others that have major problems.

For reference my first pressure plate was .008 off from outside to inside and the second was .010. If I were you I would take the clutch back out and verify that it is seating in. Its easy to tell if your pressure plate isn't right. Just look at the disc and look where its pucks are wearing at. Hopes this helps some of the people I have read about with issues with their DFX.

Last edited:

Dana

Bluesmobile
Established Member
BWH2003 said:
... From inside to outside it had a .008 difference. I thought that was ridiculous and called centerforce. They told me that its completely normal and that over time the pressure plate would heat up and warp itself straight...

Good find.

What person from CenterForce told you this story?

03yllwguy

Daily driven since 2003
Established Member
Very interesting info... on a side note, when I launch my car and power shift to second, there is almost like a slip or waht feels like a hesitation and then it feels like the clutch grabs it's nuts off... is anyone else getting that slip from their clutch? I'm only pushing 477 at the tire...

03dsgsnake

Established Member
not to bust your bubble on your choice,but had one and even after 5months of brekin same crap:bash: now i have the spec3 and after only 200 miles all broke in no chatter and really smooth, but there will always be either on or off with after market, just ease up the rpms to 2000 and let out you should be fine and lol

Users who are viewing this thread