Ford GT GT3 racecar at the Ring

DBK

Re-retired
Established Member
GTSpartan said:
What powertrain is used?

Will that be in ALMS?

FIA GT3. They just fielded it so I'm not sure what will be in there. Matech is fielding three and I think PSI is going to field one or two also.

The Kuttner-Doran GT in ALMS will be a GT2 car and it'll have a 5.0 liter N/A version of the production motor. I think KD is selling 4 or 5 of their cars in an effort to fund a GT1 car for themselves in the future.

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
DBK said:
FIA GT3. They just fielded it so I'm not sure what will be in there. Matech is fielding three and I think PSI is going to field one or two also.

The Kuttner-Doran GT in ALMS will be a GT2 car and it'll have a 5.0 liter N/A version of the production motor. I think KD is selling 4 or 5 of their cars in an effort to fund a GT1 car for themselves in the future.

Yeah, just checked the FIA website. Lots of good cars in that series, and won't be nearly as expensive to be competitive as GT1 in ALMS. Frankly, I think it's a smart move for the ALMS car to drop down to GT2. IMO, going for GT1 would have been fighting a losing battle against the vettes.

Should be some real good competition with the Viper CC, Z06R, Lambo, and now the GT.

Are they going to use the same 5.0L motor as ALMS? I would be very surprised to see a s/c used.

DBK

Re-retired
Established Member
I'm not sure what they'll use over there. I think the rules are more lax in FIA GT3.

GT1 will probably happen eventually. Someone will want to run it because the GT is a very good start for a racecar. Aluminum chassis and midengine. The C6R is great and all, but you pour $50,000,000 into a race season budget against little privateers, and you better win.

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
DBK said:
I'm not sure what they'll use over there. I think the rules are more lax in FIA GT3.

GT1 will probably happen eventually. Someone will want to run it because the GT is a very good start for a racecar. Aluminum chassis and midengine. The C6R is great and all, but you pour $50,000,000 into a race season budget against little privateers, and you better win.

Yeah, I figured they will at least try. To be fair, Ford did the same thing back in the 60's with the GT40 that chevy is doing right now with the C6R. Throw more money at the race program than anyone else can.

One of the major downsides to racing these days is money always seems to win out.

Users who are viewing this thread