Belt reinstall trouble.. 3.5 whipple w/ stock lower

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
I ground one stop off my tensioner... the one that limits travel in the tension direction.

But now I am wondering If I did the wrong one... because I can't get this belt back on. stock 3.5 Whipple pulley and stock lower.

The Whipple instructions are not real clear. :read:

It says grind the stop off but it does not say which one... :shrug: :kaboom: :

Then the step #60 "Reinstall s/c belt.".... gee thanks... WTF..

I have a "breaker bar from hell" on there and I don't want to break the tensioner.

Any tricks??
Grind the other stop?
Can't use the stock belt?

I'd like to put this belt to bed before I put myself to bed...

Someone most be running a 15 pound Whip set up... How did you get the belt back on???

SickBlackMach

Throttling back
Established Member
I slightly notched the other stop you are talking about... the one that limits how much travel it has in the "loose" direction.

Granted, I don't have a whipple tho. I've done it to a few guy's cars where the belt was supposed to be the correct size and it ended up being just a hair too small.

Last edited:

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
SickBlackMach said:
I slightly notched the other stop you are talking about... the one that limits how much travel it has in the "loose" direction.

Granted, I don't have a whipple tho. I've done it to a few guy's cars where the belt was supposed to be the correct size and it ended up being just a hair too small.

I took it back off and notched it a little(though didn't see any witness marks)..
Lubed the tensioner w/ WD40... and tried again.. it moves easir but no more travel than before....... it almost seems it's hitting the I/C hose... is this possible???:shrug:

beltinstallwoes.jpg

LT1KILLER

dirt man
Established Member
Yeah I came to the realization that the stock belt is just too short even if you notch the tensioner, I am running a 77.4 right now with an idler and 3.25 pulley.

kirks5oh

kirks5oh
Established Member
the whipple instructions suck bigtime. i'd get a shorter belt if i were you

evans03c

1% evil, 99% hot air
Established Member
I say scrap the stock belt. I decided to get several belt sizes and just returned the ones I didn't use. I think it ended up being a 76.5 but that was with only 3 of the Billetflow idler pulleys. I still need to go back and get a longer one so I can put the last idler on.

AMB

Established Member
Belt Reinstall

Jimmysidecarr:

I remove one of the IDLERS, install the belt on the tensioner, then reinstalled the idler. It is alot easer to install the belt over the idler than the tensioner !!!

AMB

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
I got a Gates/NAPA 080755 to go on.

BUT... I still need to see the standard routing of the I/C hoses on the front of the engine.

Can anyone help me out with a PIC of the front of the engine???

:( :cryying:

GetBitBiatch

Is that your gf's car?
Established Member
if you have the 4 piece idlers, take the top on off that wraps the belt tighter around the upper pulley first. run the belt the right way, then use the pulley to push the belt down and slip the idler onto the mounting bracket.

NFCstang

I probably don't like you
Established Member
GetBitBiatch said:
if you have the 4 piece idlers, take the top on off that wraps the belt tighter around the upper pulley first. run the belt the right way, then use the pulley to push the belt down and slip the idler onto the mounting bracket.

That't exactly what I did...

Users who are viewing this thread