coolant system nightmare. help.

rrpederson

lookin 4 parts
Established Member
hey svtp,
a while ago i had some know nothing mechanic, try to change out the lower pulley on my cobra. well, unfortunately for me the outcome is that dumbass bent my stock lower pulley and didnt even finish the job. but that isnt the issue here. the issue is that in his moronic attempt to get the damned thing off, he emptied and removed the radiator, and replaced the fluid with that gold five year crap that ruins cars like ours. unbeknownst to me, i ran it, not knowing that it was slowly boiling away and or mixing with the green coolant, and leaving crap and residue in my coolant system. well by now i have had a coolant flush and the coolant was replaced with the correct product, the green stuff. now, my car intermittently overheats, seems like every few months, this will be the third time i think. now, my questions are:

1. should i have regularly been changing coolant more than every few months?
(i mean hypothetically if dumbass hadnt put that crap in there.)
2. has anyone else done this or had this happen to them?
3. does anyone know how long this stuff will be in there for?
4. does anyone know of a process or something that will rid my coolant system of the residual crap?
5. does anyone know the number to the guy that whacked nancy karrigan?
6. im completely kidding, although i am pretty mad about this.

if there is any info out there that any of u might have, please take a minute and help me out. this is a headache. i cant count on my car now. thx for any help u guys might be able to afford. sry for the long post. i needed to vent.

richie

Last edited:

04MystiCobra

Tuning L&M heart
Established Member
Coolant doesnt need to be changed that often, especially not every couple of months. I cant remember what my car had but I did have both types, one for the HE and the other for the motor. I know you're not supposed to mix them. I dumped both and went aftermarket in both of my systems.

spincobra03

Established Member
agreed with bleeding it out. I cracked my coolant tank and had to pick up a new one and was not properly bled and continued to overheat.

coild

Established Member
The gold coolant is what your car is supposed to have. Check your owners manual. When re-filling, make sure you fill thru the crossover plug. These cars are very picky about ANY air in the cooling system.
Do a search on burping the cooling system; you'll find it is totally different than the older cars.

Ocho Cinco
Established Member
Mine was a nightmare when i had air in the system. I was so pissed. That crossover tube is the key. But i did get lucky when i took the car to the shop to get a tune and the thermostat upgraded. The charged they administered came with the service of them bleeding the coolant system for air. :) There is a special tool that makes it easy.... I just used the ol funnel in the cross tube.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
AIR

After cool down top off via the cross over plug only... do this 3 or 4 times(drive cycles).

Either coolant is fine... just don't mix them.
If you change types a through flush out is required.

Odds are you still have some trapped air in the system.

firemanmike

FIREMANMIKE
Established Member
Jimmysidecarr said:
AIR

After cool down top off via the cross over plug only... do this 3 or 4 times(drive cycles).

Either coolant is fine... just don't mix them.
If you change types a through flush out is required.

Odds are you still have some trapped air in the system.

Same here!!! Open that crossover tube up and fill it there!!!

racebronco2

Established Member
I do mine a little different, i get the car to normal temps and turn off the car. I loosen the burp plug till all the air is out and the water just starts to squirt out.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
racebronco2 said:
I do mine a little different, i get the car to normal temps and turn off the car. I loosen the burp plug till all the air is out and the water just starts to squirt out.

That would work too...

But it's a little dangerous for my heat sensitive little delicate fingers...:-D

Users who are viewing this thread