say boom

Roushman

Tampa Whipped and more
Established Member
Out running it last night and hit top of third shifted into fourth and it was like the car hit a wall I got off the throttle and my boy pulls along side me and says a hudge cloud of black smoke was shooting out of the back. We get off the highway and pull over. The car is making a loud ticking noise which gets worse with throttle applied. I run by Coastal dyno shop and Sam tells me the rod is spun or something like that....I kind off faded off as he spoke of rebuilding the short block and the about 7k price tag............still can't believe it:nonono: :nonono: :nonono:

I have no spare car this is my daily and no lump of cash sitting in a shoe box.

kirks5oh

kirks5oh
Established Member
sucks. $7k is wayyyyy too much. you can get a better built motor for much, much less.

mavereq

Established Member
kirks5oh said:
sucks. $7k is wayyyyy too much. you can get a better built motor for much, much less.

that is probably what it will cost with all the labor involved (r and r)

Roushman

Tampa Whipped and more
Established Member
All mods supporting ported blower. 513rwhp. Yea for all the new parts which will be all upgrades will cost about 4500. The rest labor.
I checked my oil and it was barely showing if at all.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Any idea what you oil level was before the mishap? You didn't mention oil leaking out when it happened. Sorry to hear about this. One of the risks with this car. The motor is strong for sure, but we've seen all too well unfortunately that they can and do break. :(

Roushman

Tampa Whipped and more
Established Member
CobraBob said:
Any idea what you oil level was before the mishap? You didn't mention oil leaking out when it happened. Sorry to hear about this. One of the risks with this car. The motor is strong for sure, but we've seen all too well unfortunately that they can and do break. :(

I did not before nor after ever see any oil leaking. I was on the highway when it happened though so who knows. I added 3qts in after and no leak. Bob what do you suggest for a short block rebuild parts wise?

Roushman

Tampa Whipped and more
Established Member
55k miles and Coastal Dyno did all the work. Shop is well know.

What if I sold it in this condition what could I get for it?

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
What do you consider ... "all supporting mods for a ported blower"???

I'd like to see them... it may help someone else from doing the same thing.

Sounds to me like you detonated and took out some pistons.

Now I'd like to get an idea why...

Many things can cause it...

Too much timing for the available octane/boost level

Hot spots in the cylinder head chamber face, glowing exhaust valves , too hot pugs ... etc.

A spike in IAT2s ..

A hot engine...

Oil vapor getting into the intake air will drop octane dramatically...

A little forensics now can help save you repeating the same thing on a built motor.

Just trying to help ya out if I can.. If the mods are secret then so be it.:shrug:

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
Al Papito FTW! Save up and get a new built short block.

Fuerza

Established Member
Roushman said:
I did not before nor after ever see any oil leaking. I was on the highway when it happened though so who knows. I added 3qts in after and no leak. Bob what do you suggest for a short block rebuild parts wise?

I priced out parts for a rebuild on VT's website a while back. Here

Engine rebuild
-ARP 2000 Rod bolts $56.05
-ARP Main Stud kit $94.05
-ARP Head Stud kit $198.55
-Federal Mogul performance Main Bearings $94.05
-Federal Mogul Performance 4.6/5.4 Rod Bearings $75.05
-CP Forged Pistons/Rings 17cc 3.572 bore $850.25
-2 Cometic MLS Head gaskets. 2x $113.05

This really only apply if your stock rods, crank, block and heads are in working order.

Sorry about the bad luck. :(

EDIT: I just read that you spun a rod bearing.....so the stuff I posted isn't going to be enough...Sorry.

Last edited:

F8LSNAKE

Established Member
My recent rebuild using my rods and crank with a new aluminum block and having to do some headwork all new manley pistons was just over 5k from Proline. Without the aluminum block and if my heads would have been ok it would have been 3700. Good luck, hate to hear it happen.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
There is some good advice posted above, starting with Jimmy's. You most certainly do want to try to find out what caused this. And when planning your engine build, consider what your plans (present and future) are for the motor. JMO. On the bright side, look at this as getting you a more solid motor with greater room for power growth in the future.

Roushman

Tampa Whipped and more
Established Member
thanks for advice all. The really low oil seems to be the problem here. No one has a better cause I guess untill it gets opened up.

Still taking offers

Last edited:

WDW MKR

Established Member
Sounds like too much heat sent a piston into your cylinder wall. It's happened to others. Could have been the result of too much timing, beating on a hot car w/out engine cooling mods, or an engine that came on the tight end of very tight factory piston-to-wall clearance spec. Your oil is only low because the interal damage sent a bunch of it out the tailpipes.

Users who are viewing this thread