Car was dead this morning

Knoxville COBRA

Established Member
I went to start my car and it was totally dead no dash light,buzzer,stereo nothin, So i jump started it and no dumby lights where on i thought maybe the battery light would be on if my altanator took a dump. I installed a new die hard gold battery in 2-07 so i dont think the battery just died, So i took it for about a five mile drive hoping it would charge but no such luck it would not turn over when i got home. I guess im going to get my altanator checked tommorow morning and go from there. I have a 2.76 w/stock lower for about 8k miles now would that kill my altanator and if so what size pulley should i put on the altanator?:shrug:

wvmystichrome

Established Member
I'd say you lost a cell in the battery. I had that same thing happen last year in my Conti. When a cell finally eats thru and goes out. No more battery, charge or juice.

Tom's_03SVT

Established Member
Knoxville COBRA said:
Not yet im going to check it tommorow and then take a trip down to sears.

do you still have the plastic flap pieces attached to the back of your hood vents?

Tom

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
My alternator died too...

I'm putting on a 3.2 alt pulley to slow it down a little. My car sees a lot of high RPM usage. High 6s and 7k regularly.

The 289 Cobras and GT350s used to spit V belts off over 7k... we used to put bigger alternator pulleys on them too. They were only about 55 amps though... so that may be why I don't remember many alt failures... just slung belts.... in both drag cars and road racers.

I'm also going to put a couple extra ground wires on the engine... just because.

I seriously doubt we are looking at a drenched alternator issue here... or failures would tend to align themselves with rain events... which I have not been seeing. Plus I believe the alt is back too far to be affected by rain run off coming through the vents while parked.

At speed no significant amount of water is going to go though there because of the the air coming out off them.

I think they are just more of a grocery getter alternator than a racing one.

Just my humble opinion...

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I have to agree with Jimmy. I think you have a bad alternator.

FlaSeaDude

Building a Perfect Beast
Established Member
Mine did the same thing a couple of months ago. I fired it up with no problem, put down the windows and the top, and cruised up to Publix to pick up a few groceries. I found a great spot right in front of the store, so I left the top and the windows down while I ran in the store.

When I came out and put the key in the ignition....nothing. :eek: There wasn't even enough juice to put the top or the windows up. I called my wife and she drove up to the store, but the battery was so dead that I couldn't even jump start it. I then called a fellow Cobra owner that lives nearby and he let me borrow his battery. I traded out the battery in the parking lot (I'm sure the GM crowd thought this was hillarious :lol: ) and the car fired right up.

The next day I took the battery back to NAPA (it was only 2 months old) and they determined it was a bad battery. They replaced it and I've had no other problems... :pepper:

Users who are viewing this thread