Fix for crappy a/c vent louvers???

sloopjonb

Established Member
I'm sure this has been talked about, but I can't find it. I have gotten so irritated by those cheap plastic louvers rattling that I took them out just to enjoy the silence. My car is completely tight, but with those louvers in, it sounds like a piece of crap. What have folks done to get those stupid things to be quiet?

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I've never heard of this issue before. I have to believe you are one of the few who unfortunately have an issue. My only suggestion is to take it to a dealer to see what can be done. It might be just a replacement of the adjustable louver on the vent, or it could be something mechanical inside.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Son of a gun. I found a TSB for this issue that I never saw before.

04-5-3
CLIMATE CONTROL - RATTLE NOISE FROM INSTRUMENT PANEL VENTS - DIFFICULT TO ADJUST

2004Serpent

Established Member
easy fix is you can just take some sticky velcro and use just the soft side and place a piece on the sides of the vents to make it a lil more tighter worked for me, double sided sticky foam tape will work too just remember to just peel one side only to leave the other side smooth so the vent can rub on the smoothside

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
2004Serpent said:
easy fix is you can just take some sticky velcro and use just the soft side and place a piece on the sides of the vents to make it a lil more tighter worked for me, double sided sticky foam tape will work too just remember to just peel one side only to leave the other side smooth so the vent can rub on the smoothside

Yes and if I might add...
At the pivot points before reinstalling your vent registers... put a small rubber(nitrile) O ring on each end. This makes the vent more solidly mounted, dampens vibration, and also makes them stay where you put them.

Mine have been totally rattle free since this modified version of the TSB was done while the car was still under warranty.:thumbsup:

sloopjonb

Established Member
Thanks everybody!!! I will try your suggestions, and if that doesn't work, I'll see Ford about the TSB (thank you, Bob!). They have pretty much rattled from the beginning - I don't know why, but after 5 years it really started to bug me. It is the ONLY noise in the entire car, except for my exhaust and supercharger - LOL Geez, FIVE years! How time flies!

Users who are viewing this thread