Did a test drive ...

Daffy

My cars own me.
Established Member
OK so I went to another dealer who had an 08 vert (looking for $10K over :shrug:) to see again if I could get more comfortable in the seat. I look at the car for about 1 minute & they ask if I want to take it for a test drive ... in my best Mike Myers impression - "exsqueeze me, baking powder, uh, yes please".

65 degree beautiful day, took it out with a brand new sales woman - I must look very trust worthy or something. I was respectful of the fact that this will be someone else's car but drove it enough to get a feel for it.

Summary -

Cons
- it does "feel" heavy and little vague or floaty, but for a vert, not bad
- uhh, that's about it for cons!

Pros -
- drove smooth, although a little heavy feel, it felt good, solid
- power, traction in 1st, 2nd, and 3rd is limited, the power feels great, and this thing needs better wheels and tires & yes, traction prob's IMHO are a Pro when it's caused by tons of power.
- fun, it was a blast to drive, it really felt good with the power, fishing the tail out in 1st & 2nd was so predictable and controlled, this is a very fun car.
- I experienced NO wheel hop in this vert, I even tried to generate it so I could see how it compared to my 03 Term, getting loose in 1st thru 3rd no wheel hop, all smooth, I was shocked, it was great.
- AND, I was completely comfortable in the car, it just took so jockeying around with seat, but once I got it, it was fine, no issue.

Bottomline, I'm now even more envious of you current owners. We can talk muscle & performance cars all day long & which is better for what - but this car is a perfect 10 in the fun to drive category, which is my #1 factor.

Now ... to figure out my plan towards ownership this year.:rockon:

chuckstang

Established Member
thats awsome but if you add a black gt500 to your viper and cobra collection, I will have to kill you and take your cars!

FiaCobra

Established Member
Wow, can't believe they let you sit in it, let alone drive it !!

I was able to sit in a mustang GT and that was it.....lol

Stripe Delete

Crazy SVT Poser
Established Member
OK
1st & 2nd was so predictable and controlled,

Everyone has traction issues with this car but you bring up a good point.
Its amazing how much control you have with the GT500 when you are sorta out of control spinning through all gears.:burnout:

I noticed you have a Viper and when I drove one I felt completly the opposite of the above. Still a bad-ass car though but pretty wild on the street.:rockon:

Daffy

My cars own me.
Established Member
LOL, actually I sold the Termy, tough decision but I set my heart on the 500 and committed by selling my baby.

Stripe Delete - exactly. The Viper, although less so than the GenII RT/10 I had, are pretty unforgiving. I hit the track so I could get a better feel of driving it near the edge. But it's like an overgrown go-kart, squirlley can be fun, but push it & it can come around on you before you know it. The 500 is so playful, hang the butt out & play with the throttle so smooth. I'm now seriously jonesing for this car. I've got $27K from my termy but need to make up the rest, can't wait to have two SNAKES in my garage again.

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
65 degree beautiful day, took it out with a brand new sales woman - I must look very trust worthy or something.

- power, traction in 1st, 2nd, and 3rd is limited, the power feels great, and this thing needs better wheels and tires & yes, traction prob's IMHO are a Pro when it's caused by tons of power.
- fun, it was a blast to drive, it really felt good with the power, fishing the tail out in 1st & 2nd was so predictable and controlled, this is a very fun car.
- I experienced NO wheel hop in this vert, I even tried to generate it so I could see how it compared to my 03 Term, getting loose in 1st thru 3rd no wheel hop, all smooth, I was shocked, it was great.
eemmm, what? where is this dealership you speak of?! would they let a 19 year old kid "test drive" a shelby???

Daffy

My cars own me.
Established Member
eemmm, what? where is this dealership you speak of?! would they let a 19 year old kid "test drive" a shelby???

Good question, I couldn't believe they asked me, it was almost weird. They had to move things around in the showroom to get it out & when they asked I said I was just looking so I could test fit myself in the seat not to buy. I happened to be in khaki's and a leather bomber jacket too - not a fashion day, folks say I look 35ish, so could be age or just a cool guy on the showroom floor, I dunno, I actually said thanks but no the first time they asked - he then asked again so I didn't look a gift horse in the mouth twice.

chuckstang

Established Member
well who cares about your age, you got something going for you, owning a viper and a Term and maybe a Condor :D

Users who are viewing this thread