Can I get a new OEM Battery for my R?

wheelhopper

Established Member
Looks like the battery in my 95 R is on its last leg. I would like to get an OEM one. Anyone know if I can still go to Ford to get that or am I out of luck?

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
Looks like the battery in my 95 R is on its last leg. I would like to get an OEM one. Anyone know if I can still go to Ford to get that or am I out of luck?

A replacement Motorcraft is available. I think it is a BXT-58 or something like that. It does not look like the original BX-58C that came in the car from the assy. line, but will serve the same purpose.

R

wheelhopper

Established Member
I was trying to retain the original look if possible. Even though my car is modified, alot of it was done before me. So I am trying to keep what is left original OEM or NOS. Do you think that a different battery will make a difference value wise since my car is already modded?

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
I was trying to retain the original look if possible. Even though my car is modified, alot of it was done before me. So I am trying to keep what is left original OEM or NOS. Do you think that a different battery will make a difference value wise since my car is already modded?

IMHO, no.

I would just put a current Motorcraft BXT 58 in and be done.

However if you feel the expense is justified there is a company(s) that will cut open your old worn out battery and put in the new goodies from your new battery into the original case from your old battery. Or perhaps they supply new inards for you as well.

Usually this is something seen on cars much older than yours that are being judged on the show circuit for originality.

It will be expensive since it will be custom built.
The newest off the shelf repro batteries I could find for you were up to 1972 Autolite hard rubber case jobs.

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member

To some people buying these cars, at least an original core Motorcraft battery is a "plus" at sale time. It can be installed at a judged show, and replaced when it is time to leave, however, I think a correct replacement is of equal value to MCA judge. I agree that at least a correct replacement should be used if you are at all interested in a "correct look".

I did some checking around a couple of years ago on getting original cores redone. It seems the companies who were doing this "rebuild" of original batteries are quickly being put out of business by the EPA, there were facilities in Tampa and Orlando that did battery rebuilds 5 years ago, they no longer do this because of EPA regulations. I have seen Autolite batteries, screw-on caps and all, just like the vintage Fords used, but they are reproduction "new" batteries, not originals that have been rebuilt.

R

wheelhopper

Established Member
I'll just save the old one, and install a different one. This way if I go to sell it the new owner can have the original battery. I do buy my cars to drive anyway.

DAVESVT2000

Established Member
FYI, I once saw a guy once who took a blow dryer and removed the decals on his original battery, and applied them to his new battery..

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
FYI, I once saw a guy once who took a blow dryer and removed the decals on his original battery, and applied them to his new battery..

It is these MOTORCRAFT letters that will be hard to replicate. That is not a problem on a 00R since it uses a battery blanket, but there is no hiding the battery under a blanket on the 93 and 95R's. And then there is the "eye" on the top of the battery, another one of those "hard to replicate" items.

Picture1121.gif

R

Last edited:

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
Another difference that I have noticed is the battery caps themselves, some are flat with no lettering, some have MOTORCRAFT lettering..............

I have seen it both ways on 93 and 95R's with original Ford assy. line Motocraft batteries still in place.

Both BX 58C's

Flat cap w/o letters.................
Picture1123.gif

Taller, more narrow cap with letters...........
Picture1125--1.gif

R

Last edited:

wheelhopper

Established Member
Just checked my battery and it looks like I have the BXT 58. So somebody has already switched out my battery. Guess I can get whatever I want now.

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
Just checked my battery and it looks like I have the BXT 58. So somebody has already switched out my battery. Guess I can get whatever I want now.

Nothing the matter with a Motorcraft BXT 58. It looks right at home when the hood is open, as opposed to an Interstate, Optima or other non-Ford battery.

R

Last edited:

Slow95Cobra

Certified in SVT by Ford
Established Member
i would just go factory motorcraft then, since you dont have the factory. it wouldnt bother me one bit if one had a ford replacement. batteries and tires dont last forever

firemanmike

FIREMANMIKE
Established Member
I'll just save the old one, and install a different one. This way if I go to sell it the new owner can have the original battery. I do buy my cars to drive anyway.

+100

Just save the old one. If you want to show the car, you might be towing it anyway, so who cares if the batteries weak. And if you want to be sell the car with the "original battery" you'll have it to give the buyer. If its so important to them, let them get it rebuilt or whatever!!!

Users who are viewing this thread