stronger IRS?

snkevenom

Established Member
ok i have a 99 cobra and i am trying to sale my vortech sq e-trim kit and once i do i am going to be doing alot of stuff to my car, my question is what all would i need to make my IRS strong enough to with stand 600+ whp i know i need level 5 half shafts but how much do those run? and also what else?:shrug:

Tom's_03SVT

Established Member
do a SRA, you can get a used on for a couple hundred bucks. the LVL5 half shafts are anywhere from $1400-1800.

ok i have a 99 cobra and i am trying to sale my vortech sq e-trim kit and once i do i am going to be doing alot of stuff to my car, my question is what all would i need to make my IRS strong enough to with stand 600+ whp i know i need level 5 half shafts but how much do those run? and also what else?:shrug:

Look up a member named POSTBAN. He has a 'pill' in his signature for IRS improvements and then another 'pill' for a solid axle swap on these cars. There you go bud. I did your search for you.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Tom's right.

If you are more into drag racing, a solid rear axle will be much more reliable and less expensive over the long run.

The 99s have 28 spline axles too I believe. The 03/04 Cobra IRS is the strongest one. The 01 has 31 splines but lacks one of the braces and has less firm bushings, than the 03/04.
Even then drag racing, even on a stock engine, can and does break parts back there when it hops or on a sticky tire hard launch.

It can be done if you want to retain the IRS, but you are looking at Delrin bushings, better axles(31 spline w/31 spline axle gears), added bracing(Mathis and cover brace), AND BE READY TO BUY ADDITIONAL AXLES because even the level fives have been known to break.

The handling and ride quality will suffer some converting to a SRA. But for heavy drag duty it is the way to go.

For street, autocross and open track a Delrin bushed IRS can't be beat! It is the only way to rock! IMHO

snkevenom

Established Member
thanks guys that helped alot but it more going to be a street beast with a masterpower t70 on it so not going to be at the strip that much the streets are alot more fun

GodStang

Established Member
Ditch the IRS ditch the IRS ditch the IRS. I am the biggest IRS far on here and I am going through LVL 5s like they are going out of style. 2 months and less than 100miles and I am on my third set of lvl 5s. I have spent well over $2.5K in modding my IRS and I am yet to make it more than 15 feet down the track. Broke them on first launch. Now I am stuck with an IRS that I can not get anything for. I am out all that money and now can not drag race it. Also the latest lvl5s broke BOTH abs sensors. Now they have to be replaced on top of that. The worst headache EVER!!

snkevenom

Established Member
oh damn that sucks, how much am i looking at for a solid rear though and how hard is it to bolt in cause i am still trying to sell my vortech blower kit and the money i get from that will be gone just to build my engine to be strong enough for higher boost i really want this motor done right the first time cause i cant really afford blowing it in two and my rear end for that matter as well

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member
Ditch the IRS ditch the IRS ditch the IRS. I am the biggest IRS far on here and I am going through LVL 5s like they are going out of style. 2 months and less than 100miles and I am on my third set of lvl 5s. I have spent well over $2.5K in modding my IRS and I am yet to make it more than 15 feet down the track. Broke them on first launch. Now I am stuck with an IRS that I can not get anything for. I am out all that money and now can not drag race it. Also the latest lvl5s broke BOTH abs sensors. Now they have to be replaced on top of that. The worst headache EVER!!

Man I think you need to add up your IRS tickets again. I got way more than that in mine.:lol: We both know it will hopefully be worth it when they are finished.

GodStang

Established Member
Man I think you need to add up your IRS tickets again. I got way more than that in mine.:lol: We both know it will hopefully be worth it when they are finished.

Sorry man just a little pissed about the whole deal. Car shows and track days and dyno days are coming up and I am on blocks for 2 months now.

ss04vv

Established Member
if you werent all the way in SC i'd offer you some cash for your IRS godstang. how much RWHP are you running/race weight/launch RPM's of the car to be breaking level 5's.

GodStang

Established Member
if you werent all the way in SC i'd offer you some cash for your IRS godstang. how much RWHP are you running/race weight/launch RPM's of the car to be breaking level 5's.

No idea. The lvl 5s do not last long enough to find out. It was a 5500rpm dump on the first snap. Stock weight. KB 2.8LH pulleyed for 23psi (seeing 18psi) Crower Stage IIIs, VT302 Billet Stroker so it does alright for power.

The second set were a 1/4" to short and I cut both my ABS sensors with the ABS sprocket gear thingy. Hence the reason I am pissed.

DrYeRLiNt

Horse From Hell
Established Member
No idea. The lvl 5s do not last long enough to find out. It was a 5500rpm dump on the first snap. Stock weight. KB 2.8LH pulleyed for 23psi (seeing 18psi) Crower Stage IIIs, VT302 Billet Stroker so it does alright for power.

The second set were a 1/4" to short and I cut both my ABS sensors with the ABS sprocket gear thingy. Hence the reason I am pissed.

Sell me your IRS, i'll put it in my 67 Rustang!

snkevenom

Established Member

why are you only seein 18psi do you have that much blow through on those cams or some thing?

GodStang

Established Member
why are you only seein 18psi do you have that much blow through on those cams or some thing?

Cams, LTs, and extra cubes lower your boost. So with the 3 combined I lose about 5psi. Nothing uncommon.

DrYeRLiNt said:
Sell me your IRS, i'll put it in my 67 Rustang!

I may take you up on that.

snkevenom

Established Member
oh ok thats cool. got annother question any one or know any one looking for a centriv kit only has a 1000mi on 3month old head unit? came off my 99 cobra it a sq e-trim?

Users who are viewing this thread