Z06 trouble. . .

lllTimmerlll

Established Member
Buddy of mine has an 02 z06. Just did a cam, plugs, wires, longtubes, full exhaust, custom tune, cai, shifter. Car is puttin down 448rwhp. How do I beat it...His corvette guy says it should run in the 10s. I do ok, but i'm not Mr Moneybags, so about $2000-2500 is what I can work with. . .Whats my best option. Right now I have a Bassani Catback and CAtted X. K&N CAI, Mass air meter. Those are my only performance mods. Whats the best way to go, Steig port? i'm guessing. . .2.8" pulley set up? Also, I live right near Big Daddy Performance, thats where I would go to get the work done. . .I hear they are very good, and reasonably priced.

Stangcharger

forged 4.2L v6
Established Member
steig and a 2.8 pulley should get you close to him. assuming you hit 500rwhp with it. thing about those corvettes is they are light and id say you need 50rwhp more than him to be even. 3200lb car racing a 3700lb car. 10rwhp per every 100lbs.

you could prolly afford longtubes with that budget as well. need a BAP and maf extender for the steig. stock ones are good to about that 490-500rwhp range.

iBiTe03

Established Member
the new steig stage 5 port, 2.76 upper, gt pumps, stage 1 fpdm, injectors, and a tune...what MAF do you have already?

Last edited:

99riocobra

i like ice cream
Established Member
Stieg stage 4 port, 2.8/2.76 pulley, idler, bap, plugs, and mafia. get your car tuned with that and you'll have a very good race!

lllTimmerlll

Established Member
the new steig stage 5 port, 2.76 upper, gt pumps, stage 1 fpdm, injectors, and a tune...what MAF do you have already?

I'm sorry, that was actually a mistake. No MAF on the car, that was on the old car I had that. My bad. . .and not to sound dumb, but what is stage 1 fpdm?

iBiTe03

Established Member
I'm sorry, that was actually a mistake. No MAF on the car, that was on the old car I had that. My bad. . .and not to sound dumb, but what is stage 1 fpdm?

FPDM-Fuel Pump Driver Modual...required when upgrading to bigger pumps because the bigger pumps can overheat your stock one. if you did a stage 5 and all the other mods you would def. be maxing out your stock pumps..and injectors and MAF lol..MAF id go with a SCT 2600 along with the tuner:rockon:

Ray Hilton

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
10's with 448 rwhp? I think that's pretty optimistic. Unless it's got some killer weight transfer and optimal traction. Also don't forget our cars pull some very respectable torque with minimal mods. And its torque that moves weight. I have just a 2.76 upper, exhaust (stock manifolds with no long tubes) and a filter and I'm at 485 torque to the wheels. Those figures are quite common among other Terminators on this board. Anybody can SAY my car or his car runs 10's and who knows MAYBE it does but don't be intimidated by talk. Start with the easy to do stuff and work up from there as needed. JMHO
Ray H.

Screamin Cobra

Slam'd Cam'd Z06
Established Member
I'd blow the Z06 off and save up about another grand or 2 and buy a Kenne Bell or whipple with all supporting mods. Otherwise, I'd just run a pulley/tune/inake/exhaust/tires with driver mod you should hang with him really well. A buddy of mine barely edged out a cam'd 03 Z06 with just a 2.8 pulley/intake/tuned/exhaust and he's not the best driver in the world. I know a lot of things are possible but honestly, you would have to be a HELL of a driver and like Ray H said, weight reduction to make a 10 sec pass in just a 448hp C5 Z.

whtgt02vert

turned to the darkside.
Established Member
10's with 448 rwhp? I think that's pretty optimistic. Unless it's got some killer weight transfer and optimal traction. Also don't forget our cars pull some very respectable torque with minimal mods. And its torque that moves weight. I have just a 2.76 upper, exhaust (stock manifolds with no long tubes) and a filter and I'm at 485 torque to the wheels. Those figures are quite common among other Terminators on this board. Anybody can SAY my car or his car runs 10's and who knows MAYBE it does but don't be intimidated by talk. Start with the easy to do stuff and work up from there as needed. JMHO
Ray H.

Its possible with one hell of a driver(i.e: Ranger or J ROD over on corvetteforum.com) The Z's arent like the cobra's theyre light on their feet and dont require 550+ to get them into the 10's. I understand cobra's can get into the 10's without 550+hp but that is when the weight reduction comes into play. Good luck tttimer just make sure u also have sticky tires.

PWORLDSTANG

Bring 'Em Out
Established Member
I'd blow the Z06 off and save up about another grand or 2 and buy a Kenne Bell or whipple with all supporting mods. Otherwise, I'd just run a pulley/tune/inake/exhaust/tires with driver mod you should hang with him really well. A buddy of mine barely edged out a cam'd 03 Z06 with just a 2.8 pulley/intake/tuned/exhaust and he's not the best driver in the world. I know a lot of things are possible but honestly, you would have to be a HELL of a driver and like Ray H said, weight reduction to make a 10 sec pass in just a 448hp C5 Z.

+1. Keep saving, buy the supporting mods and a Twin Screw.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
IMO don't sweat what your neighbor has, or doesn't have. Just enjoy what you have and what you're wanting to do or not do with your car. You start trying to compete with others powerwise (or for bragging rights) and the cost on your pocketbook and on your Cobra could be more than you're bargaining for. There will always be someone faster. That's one reason why I was very content when I had a 457rwhp/489rwtq combo. It wasn't the fastest around, but it was far from slow, too. I was very content. Never stressed about someone being 1-up on me. JMO.

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member
Just find a good local svtperformance.com buddy to show up and show him his rear Cobra bumper!:rockon:

lllTimmerlll

Established Member
Yeah I thought 10s were very optimistic myself, but thats what his tech claimed. High 10s of course. I guess just the pulley mods, along with bap, maf, tune, injectors, plugs and maybe longtubes should do the trick for now. Def need a stage V steig port I think as well. HP wise, i should be looking in the neighborhood of 500 correct?

iBiTe03

Established Member
Yeah I thought 10s were very optimistic myself, but thats what his tech claimed. High 10s of course. I guess just the pulley mods, along with bap, maf, tune, injectors, plugs and maybe longtubes should do the trick for now. Def need a stage V steig port I think as well. HP wise, i should be looking in the neighborhood of 500 correct?

for the money and hassle you will spend on long tubes you wont show much hp or tq gain unless you are 600+, spend the money on something else...there are plenty of guys running 500+ with stock manifolds...you should be well over 500 with those mods

Ray Hilton

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Cobra Bob speaks wisely. Everything is relative. I would also not waste time and money on long tubes just yet as others have stated. Too much hassle for the return you get. Good luck and let us know how things turned out.

Ray H.

lllTimmerlll

Established Member
Cobra Bob speaks wisely. Everything is relative. I would also not waste time and money on long tubes just yet as others have stated. Too much hassle for the return you get. Good luck and let us know how things turned out.

Ray H.

I def. understand where cobra bob is coming from. Honestly, Its not so much just to beat him, I'm just sick of the car being a cobra with just cai and exhaust. Time to step it up, I want alot of boost and alot of HP. Well at least as much as i can get out of an eaton with a port. :banana:

dragon40k

Established Member
IMO don't sweat what your neighbor has, or doesn't have. Just enjoy what you have and what you're wanting to do or not do with your car. You start trying to compete with others powerwise (or for bragging rights) and the cost on your pocketbook and on your Cobra could be more than you're bargaining for. There will always be someone faster. That's one reason why I was very content when I had a 457rwhp/489rwtq combo. It wasn't the fastest around, but it was far from slow, too. I was very content. Never stressed about someone being 1-up on me. JMO.

AMEN !! I have a friend with a vette who has spent a bunch of money one mods to try and keep up with me. He beat me at the track(thats the only place we race) after a couple dozen runs and I finally installed the pulley/tune I had and he hasn't been close since. Its killing him, but it never bothers me even a little to lose.

To the op. Only do the mods you wanted to do in the first place. Don't let your buddy pressure you into it. As CobraBob says there will always be someone faster.

Users who are viewing this thread