Car sits higher now...need springs!!!

SCT2003

2012 3.7 & 1986 NOTCH
Established Member
Well...since I removed some weight(150+lbs) from the rear of the Cobra...it seemes to sit much higher now!!!

The gap in the front well is only 2" while the gap in the rear is 4"!!!

I want to purchase some springs but most have a bigger drop in the front. What should I do to bring the height down??? I don't want it much lower in the front and the rear needs at least a 2" drop.

Some people say to cut the springs since they are "linear" in design. Is this an option??? I've always thought that by cutting your stock springs, you make the car look better but at the cost of poor handling performance.

The car looks like a 4X4 big time...any suggestions???

Thanks...

Later...Dave

Last edited:

T-Pain808

I Love Asian Girls!!!
Established Member
I would cut the springs. First save yourself some money, plus you don't know what drop your gonna get losing 150 pounds.

SCT2003

2012 3.7 & 1986 NOTCH
Established Member
I would cut the springs. First save yourself some money, plus you don't know what drop your gonna get losing 150 pounds.

Well...

How well will the car handle with "cut" springs???

Looks are important but performance is everything!!!

Later...Dave

T-Pain808

I Love Asian Girls!!!
Established Member
I'm not sure. Alot of guys post that there cut springs ride good, but haven't seen too many that say they perform. I got H&R race myself. I like um but they are bouncy as hell. But so where the stock springs. I know this ain't a caddy, I think you'll like the H&R race.

Before
dsc00083nz9.jpg

After
dsc00154bu3.jpg

17's to 18's but new rims and tires where exact same height going from 40 to 35 series.

I-CAN-STANG

cut em' off at the knees
Established Member
Have you thought about coilovers? Get them front and back so you can set the ride height where you want to.

ravenknight

Never enough
Established Member
I just cut my springs 1 coil and the ride is the same and handling seems slightly better, since any time you lower the center of gravity. Its not bouncy and springs are still firm. I have to tweek some since I wanted a rake in the rear and got the rear slightly lower than the front but thats a long story, just depending on how low you want to go. I cut 1 coil in rear and 3/4 in front and I would recommend 1 coil all around and go from there.

mustangmuscle

Established Member
I'm riding on cut stock springs, also. Ride and performance is awesome, removed approximately 7/8 coil at all 4 corners.

Save the money to go towards other mods, and cut away!!:rockon:

SCT2003

2012 3.7 & 1986 NOTCH
Established Member
What's the best way to cut your springs???

Saw, dremal, torch, plasma cutter, XXXX???

What did you guys use and how hard was it???

I've heard that the torch and plasma cutter route will weaken and thus destroy the springs in the process.

Any opinions on this???

Thanks...

Later...Dave

SCT2003

2012 3.7 & 1986 NOTCH
Established Member
Have you thought about coilovers? Get them front and back so you can set the ride height where you want to.

I thought of them but since I don't see the track or twisties that much...I wanted to spend the money else where!!!

That would do the trick but they can be pretty pricey huh???

Later...Dave

SCT2003

2012 3.7 & 1986 NOTCH
Established Member
I just cut my springs 1 coil and the ride is the same and handling seems slightly better, since any time you lower the center of gravity. Its not bouncy and springs are still firm. I have to tweek some since I wanted a rake in the rear and got the rear slightly lower than the front but thats a long story, just depending on how low you want to go. I cut 1 coil in rear and 3/4 in front and I would recommend 1 coil all around and go from there.

Is the pic in your sig the way the car looks with 1 coil cut all around or is it 1 rear & 3/4 front???

Thanks...

Later...Dave

ravenknight

Never enough
Established Member

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
1/3 coil in back
1/4 coil in front

Weighty changes = Battery in truck, full tank of gas, LFP rad, Whipple 2.3, Global west full competition SFCs, Auto Power 4 point road race style roll bar, I weigh 175.

What it looks like... ( Photo is not level BTW)

PB1000131.jpg

Handles great! If you cut much more than this be prepared to have the bump steer re-done.

Sticky Kumho 710s make the car load it's suspension harder(lean)
It's only a little bit better than stock but I drive it on the street quite a bit.
The NVH increase is very minimal.

TWS2007pcahillcountry038.jpg

SVTkel

SVTKel
Established Member
1/3 coil in back
1/4 coil in front

Weighty changes = Battery in truck, full tank of gas, LFP rad, Whipple 2.3, Global west full competition SFCs, Auto Power 4 point road race style roll bar, I weigh 175.

What it looks like... ( Photo is not level BTW)

PB1000131.jpg

Handles great! If you cut much more than this be prepared to have the bump steer re-done.

Sticky Kumho 710s make the car load it's suspension harder(lean)
It's only a little bit better than stock but I drive it on the street quite a bit.
The NVH increase is very minimal.

TWS2007pcahillcountry038.jpg

Good post. I was wondering what the limit I could drop it without worrying about doing other mods.

Users who are viewing this thread