Helmet Issue

SVTmojo

Track Junkie!
Established Member
Well, I am getting more and more involved in open tracking, and can't put off getting a good helmet any longer. For the past 3 years when autocrossing I have just used my M00 Shoei helmet that I love. And when I would do my one open track event a year I would either borrow my fathers or a friend's helmet for the weekend.

Well, I have been all over the internet looking at SA 05 pricing, sizing, styling, etc, but I have a pretty big head, and want to try some on prior to pulling the trigger. So I drove over to my local Jegs, and tried on a few. Everything from a $199 ZAMP to a $499 Simpson. I also tried on an RCI and an Impact.

First off, the visual field compared to my Shoei in all the helmets was horrible at best. Secondly, I have never tried on 5 more UNCOMFORTABLE helmets in my life. I don't know if I would have been able to wear any of them for a 30min session. Some XL (ZAMP, Impact), and some XXL (simpson, RCI), but they all were tight in the front of my forehead, and super hard and uncomfortable. I kind of expected the cheaper helmet to be that way, but the 500 buck simpson voyager was the worst of them all.

Guess I am just looking for some suggestions as to what you all are wearing, and where you got them from. I would like to try on a Bell and a pyrotech (spelling?), but I don't know where else to try on helmets. Thanks guys

gcassidy

One more lap!
Established Member
I can't help in your area. But I tried on a few at OG Racing here, and found a Bell SA that fit just right. But after 35 years of riding bikes, I think I'm a cheap date. Most helmets fit me OK.
I don't think it's a matter of cost. Just all heads are different, and all helmets are different. Are there other speed shops in your area that you can run by? It's worth finding a good fit.

Good luck.

rtomlin

Member GCassidy Fan Club
Established Member
I feel ya on the Shoei. I bought one when I purchased my bike in 2000 and agree that it is a super comfortable helmet. I've got a big head too (no commentary please Greg :nono:) and like Greg I spent about an hour over at OG Racing trying on helmets. The one that fit best and that I ultimately purchased is a G-Force Pro Force 1 full face - size XL. I found the Simpson helmets weren't overly comfortable for me either.

As for the field of vision issue, SA rated helmets allow a narrower field of vision than M rated helmets do. I honestly don't notice it any more, although I don't honestly remember whether I noticed when I purchased the helmet a couple of years ago.

Keep looking - you'll find one that's comfortable. :beer:

Rick

David Hester

Established Member
I second the G-Force line. I wear a 7 1/2 and have one of their Hybrid as well as their full face.
I used Bell, Simpson, G-Force, Shoei, and Arari over the years. I had a Simpson Rx...(pharmacist. get it. Rx..) that I really liked, but I think the Arari fit best. That was 20-25 years ago, though.

truebluecobra

Been there - Done that...
Established Member
G-Force Pro 1 XL here and happy with the fit but as far as field of vision like stated above, I think you will get used to it. I am happy with mine, got it at APex performance for 249.00 with a helmet bag.

BlackBolt9

Asphalt Donuts
Established Member
I have a Simpson Bandit that I bought from SRacing.com. Nothing fancy and I like it, it seems to fit better the more I wear it, kind of like a pair of nice leather shoes it needed a little breaking in I guess. Greg Schings and his dad I believe own the shop http://www.sracing.com/ and Greg was my frist instructor so that led me to buying a bunch of stuff from him. They are great people who know what they are talking about and will help you out in any way they can. They are located in Lexington, KY though.

I will probably buy from http://www.racer91m.com/servlet/StoreFront which is Dean Martin's website since I am working part time for Rehagen Racing now. They are located in the Detroit area.

ponyracer

Established Member
G-force here also. it was down to fit and price, g-force won. pick it up from Summit Racing on sale $129

Last edited:

SVTmojo

Track Junkie!
Established Member
well, I after trying on everything jegs had to offer, and not being happy at all I went the on-line route. I ordered a G-Force Pro and a Bell M4. I will see which one I like, then send the other back. Should be here this week!

SKMCOBRA

Just the Facts
Established Member
I have a Pyrotect open face which is made by Bell. It's their entry level helmet but is fairly comfortable and has a removable padding liner so you can wash it if needed. They come in black and white and just about every online company sells them for $149.

sunburned

I miss my torque
Established Member
I like my cheap Zamp helmet. Never worn it for very long periods of time, but drag racing and autocrossing last year. It worked just fine and seemed to be comfortable for the few minutes at a time I was wearing it. Guess I'm thinking way more about the driving I'm about to do over how comfortable my head is.

BlackBolt9

Asphalt Donuts
Established Member
I like my cheap Zamp helmet. Never worn it for very long periods of time, but drag racing and autocrossing last year. It worked just fine and seemed to be comfortable for the few minutes at a time I was wearing it. Guess I'm thinking way more about the driving I'm about to do over how comfortable my head is.

I don't know anything about those helmets so I don't know their quality but you said "cheap" which usually means inferior as well. At the speeds you can reach on some tracks how much is your head worth? Just a thought:thumbsup:

2004mmmach1

On The Road Course
Established Member
Sorry but not trying to take over thread but I want to purchase a helmet also for road racing but would like to know some opinion on the helmet with open face or close face which one is better for the track.

rtomlin

Member GCassidy Fan Club
Established Member
Well... this is an issue which has been widely debated in all kinds of forums. For every person recommending a full face helmet you will find just as many saying that open face helmets are the only way to go, especially if your driver air bag is still intact.

Full face helmets provide more protection by virtue of covering more of your face - full chin bar, eye protection (if visor is actually worn in the down position). Being hit by a piece of debris at speed is at best painful and can be far worse. Some folks complain that a full face helmet makes them feel claustrophobic, restricts their peripheral vision or is "hotter" than an open helmet. Some heavy breathers out there sometimes complain that it can be uncomfortable with the bar in front of their mouth or they fog up the visor (which can be remedied).

On the other hand, an open face helmet does not cover as much of your face and typically does not have a visor, so if you want eye protection, you will need wear either goggles or glasses. Proponents of open face helmets cite a report suggesting that a driver's airbag deploys with enough force to drive the chin bar of an enclosed helmet up into the driver's jaw causing broken jaw or worse. Here one link to corner-carvers. Personally, I am skeptical, but I will let you make up your own mind.

Personally, I wear a full face helmet. You may decide to go with an open face. Ultimately, of course, the decision on what you are most comfortable with wearing is something only you can answer. Good Luck! :rockon::beer:

Rick

sunburned

I miss my torque
Established Member
I don't know anything about those helmets so I don't know their quality but you said "cheap" which usually means inferior as well. At the speeds you can reach on some tracks how much is your head worth? Just a thought:thumbsup:

SA2005 rated and fits my head just fine. Not spending $500+ to use a helmet 4-5 times a year because it says Arai or Sparco on the side of it. Besides, going 110 in a straight line at the strip or 40 around a cone in a parking lot doesn't put me too much in harms way.

Oh, and its full face all the way for me. I'll take all the protection I can get, especially if I'm ever running with the top down.

BlackBolt9

Asphalt Donuts
Established Member
SA2005 rated and fits my head just fine. Not spending $500+ to use a helmet 4-5 times a year because it says Arai or Sparco on the side of it. Besides, going 110 in a straight line at the strip or 40 around a cone in a parking lot doesn't put me too much in harms way.

Oh, and its full face all the way for me. I'll take all the protection I can get, especially if I'm ever running with the top down.

Sorry, I didn't mean to direct that comment at you. I was just throwing that out there for others that were reading up on the topic.

FWIW I spent around $400 for my Simpson.

I am also a full face guy, of course I got it just in case I got into an open wheel car at some point, the guy I bought it from had a Formula Vee and I had thought about getting into that for awhile.

Users who are viewing this thread