Car Help Needed - Bronco

astrocreep96

Inevitable
Established Member
Premium Member
So, I have a '72 Bronco that's not starting for me.

Built motor, all new stuff. It sits in a storage garage and I start it up about once every 3 or so months.

I went to start it today as I'm getting ready to list it for sale, but this time it wouldn't start. It won't even sputter and try to get going. It just turns over and over. Oil pressure is good, fuel is getting to the carburetor just fine.

I'm thinking that an ignition wire (probably the one coming from the coil) is loose, maybe the contact separated from the wire itself inside the sheeth. It has an MSD ignition coil, 6A ignition box, wires, and a Pro Billet distributor.

Nothing has happened since I last started it, so I'm kind of stumped. I'm thinking maybe I snagged that wire and pulled it a bit.:shrug:

So, people of SVTP: help me out. I haven't had too much time to monkey around with it as I'm going out of town tomorrow, but I want to have a game plan when I get home.

Oh, and requisite picture of said Bronco...

dsc0014im9.jpg

astrocreep96

Inevitable
Established Member
Premium Member
They are sweet. I'm going to miss this one when it's gone, but I'll build another one some day.

On another note, ttt. I need help!!

Matts00GT

Mongoloid Mike
Established Member
If it's getting power and it's getting fuel, then it has to be electrical. Is it getting spark or have you not checked?

VirtualSVT

lolololololololololol
Established Member
Def pull a plug wire and set it on something metal and see if its sparking...

I've never had good luck with MSD wires...never had a set last more than 5K.

astrocreep96

Inevitable
Established Member
Premium Member
I haven't checked the plugs, I'm going to pull one when I get back and see if it sparks when the car turns over.

The MSD wires may be to blame, but I don't think they have over 500 miles on them.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
I love those trucks too!! Too bad they didn't come with either galvanizing or electrocoating, they rusted out so bad in Syracuse, you just could not find a good one without going out of state.

You will just need to verify all the basic functions are operational.

Cranking speed(you already know what normal cranking speed is), fuel,(good fuel and the correct amount of it), spark (nice hot blue spark w/ very little or no yellow).

Any one of these get out of line and it won't run.

Fuel verified could also be too much fuel if the float/s has saturated or corroded and sunk.

jerrad

RIP Gump
Established Member
Its simple all you need is spark, air, and fuel. How hard could it be? lol
I say check for spark, if there is none check distributer/coil. If you have spark make sure your getting fuel from the carb, not just to it from the tank but see if it's actually going into the intake manifold.
GL
Jerrad

WutApex

Wut Apex!?!
Established Member
Shoulda bought a Scout!!:poke:

jk. It's probably ignition related. I know (before the new ignition system I have now) that we had the infamous "gold box". If the same symptoms you decribed occured, that would be the first suspected culprit. I always carried a spare.

on a side note - I'll be looking to sell mine soon too. In recent years the price for those old Broncos shot WAY up. I wish the same would happen to the old IH's

Last edited:

T-Bolt

Official 'ring tow rig...
Established Member
I bet that MSD box is the culprit. I have a friend who has gone through 3 or 4 in a couple months. He finally gave up on them. Check it.

astrocreep96

Inevitable
Established Member
Premium Member
Update:

Easier than I thought it would be. I think maybe a float or something was stuck from sitting for a few months. I sprayed some starter fluid into the carb and it sputtered. Tried a couple more times and it fired right up. Runs well and it's now for sale!!

Thanks for the advice, guys.:beer::beer:

Juice33

Patently Awesome
Established Member
Let's see some more pics! I love the old Broncos and I have always wanted one.

Users who are viewing this thread