What are these things on wheels?

Joe524

Established Member
I dont have pics of them but on the inside of all 4 of my wheels there are these 5" long x 1/8" thick metal strips fastened to the rim well. they have perferations in them and each little square says 1/4"oz 7gm on them. I took one off and it left a white residue on the weel like it was double sided sticky taped with that thick white foam adhesive. if anyone knows what I'm talkin about please let me know, ill try and get pics. later

NYstanger

Established Member
That would be bad. You wanna leave those there. lol Those are the balancing weights so your wheels/tires don't shake. Shops put those on nicer rims to not scratch the finish with the ones to bang onto the lip.

Joe524

Established Member
hahah well in that case I better figure out how to put it back on!! I've never heard of anything like that. I figured it was just making the wheel look tacky although I could barely see them from a few feet away. I mean its so tiny I can't believe they make that much of a difference. thanks for the insight. next time i'll think before acting, or atleast post a thread

Steel Horse

Established Member
take it to a shop and have them rebalance/ or make sure you get all the tape and glue off the weights you peeled off and off the wheel and put some 3m double sided tape on the weights and stick them in the EXACT same spot you removed them from.

99 KOBRA

Speed Racer
Established Member
That would be bad. You wanna leave those there. lol Those are the balancing weights so your wheels/tires don't shake. Shops put those on nicer rims to not scratch the finish with the ones to bang onto the lip.

I feel bad that I was laughing so hard when I read this thread. I really think you should have the wheel balanced again.

BoostFiend

Say NO to FUPA!
Established Member
lol Yeah, leave em on there dude. Not a good idea to just be peeling random stuff off without knowing what it does.

Joe524

Established Member
thats what i get for being a noob. so like is my wheel gonna fall off or something and should i not be driving it?

granny03

Established Member
no its not going to fall off as long as you did not take off the lug nuts . just get it balanced again so you dont have any vibration

Joe524

Established Member
welp, its official, i feel like an idiot. lesson learned for sure. i only took it off one wheel, and some of the residue is still on there, ill reapply asap and have it rebalanced. thanks for helpin me out though

Juruense

Banned
When you have it rebalanced if you do not specifically request the stick on weights they will use the more unsightly clip on type.

T-Pain808

I Love Asian Girls!!!
Established Member
That hard core weight reduction, what's next shaving metal off the block.

Users who are viewing this thread