Need input on AVON TECH Ra Replacement

dtheo

FUBAR Enforcer
Established Member
So, I got a set of AVON TECH R's, 275/40/17's and had them mounted today. Well, the freakin tire shop RIPPED one of my new tires!! First, they claimed my rim was bent and it was letting air out. So, I had him remount it again, and what do I see inside?.........I HUGE 4 inch rip tear off of rubber, it was cleary obvious they did this and they admitted to it. Here is the problem, TIRERACK, the only distributor of the tire no longer sells these tires and claims that there is none to be found. So, how do I find one tire of a discontinued line tire and if that does not work, what tire brand would be a good replacement for one tire?.....or do I need to replace 2 tires so atleast they match performance. I'll be running in a DE in 3 weeks so I got time, and I don't want to buy 4 new tires either. Thanks for help.

:dw:

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
I would definitely buy two of something as close in grip and feel as possible to the Tech R. Then just save the one left over for a spare if an accident occurs or one gets corded before the other.
What would be a good match, I have no clue. Are they treaded? What is the wear number?

I have run Kumho 700s(front) and 710s(back) on different ends of the car with good predictable handling. I now run 710s on both ends.

Just remember it is always safest to put your highest grip tires on the back.

gcassidy

One more lap!
Established Member
Dave, I ran the Tech R's for a season (DOT slicks, treadwear 40), but have no experience with the RA.
BUT....I was using the Tech R when the new ones came out, and read a fair bit about them. Most of the comments were that there wasn't much difference. I'd still get 2 if you can, and hopefully someone will have a better answer.
Good luck.

dtheo

FUBAR Enforcer
Established Member
after much debate from the guys at tirerack, we decided on Khumo V710's 275/40/17 for rears. They think this is the closest tire to use given the specs between the two.

The tire shop ended up ruining 2 tires!!!! Now they owe me $540!!

TroyV

Brakes only slow you down
Established Member
V710's are immensley better than tech R's.. You're smart to run them on the rear. V's on the front with the techs on the back will have your car oversteering really bad. I have a good amount of experiecne with both tires.

gcassidy

One more lap!
Established Member
after much debate from the guys at tirerack, we decided on Khumo V710's 275/40/17 for rears. They think this is the closest tire to use given the specs between the two.

The tire shop ended up ruining 2 tires!!!! Now they owe me $540!!

Dave, just a thought.....Don't Go There Again! :fart:

That is a bummer. Are they gonna pay up?

dtheo

FUBAR Enforcer
Established Member
yes, they are going to pay up, I am going to bring my receipt from TireRack tomorrow!! Bastards owe me bigtime for this hassle. Thanks for all the help guys, it was truly a learning experience.

Users who are viewing this thread