road race style pan

Dirk

Established Member
What oil pan do you guys use and while I'm there should I install a windage try?
Or is there a pan with the windage try included?

I'm getting the Aluminator engine and wonder if I should install such a pan.
If so, can I reuse the oil pan gasket?

N/Angel

Crazy Swiss Chick!
Established Member
Premium Member
Canton sells the road race 7qts oil pan. best fit I've seen and the most used.
Windage tray is separate from Canton.

If you have the cash to spend definitely get the oil pan.

the gasket can be reused if it's in good condition.

Dirk

Established Member
Isn't the Canton to "deep", it looks that way on the pictures.
My car sits very low and I don't want to scrape the pavement with it.
I thought about the Moroso Model: 20547 with 6qt.?

N/Angel

Crazy Swiss Chick!
Established Member
Premium Member
I've heard a couple of people not liking the fitment of the moroso.
the canton sits low. but I had it on my car with the KW coilovers on a VERY low setting and I never scraped anything.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
IMHO Canton is the way to go.:thumbsup:

You will hit the K member or the bolt heads on an MM K member brace, long before you ever get near hitting a Canton road race pan.

I have the steel road race pan and windage tray. I feel it is an excellent longevity modification for anyone who likes turns.

IMO it should be considered required when going to sticky high G tires.
The actual fill amount of the "7" quart road race pan, with new filter is about 8 3/4 quarts.

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
I have a Canton road race pan that came as original equipment on my 2000 R. I've hit the pan twice, luckily it's steel and not aluminum, after I lowered the car on coil-overs with a complete MM front suspension and K-member. I hit it the first time at the Milwaukee Mile on the transition to the infield and again at Grattan. I have not gone back to those tracks since.

I may have an aluminum Moroso drag style pan available soon. It looks like I have to go to a dry sump system for my new bullet install! :rollseyes

FWIW

:thumbsup::coolman::beer:

sunburned

I miss my torque
Established Member
gcassidy has a canton pan on his '98 Cobra. His car isn't super low, but he does do a lot of road racing.

steve121

Established Member
IMHO Canton is the way to go.:thumbsup:

You will hit the K member or the bolt heads on an MM K member brace, long before you ever get near hitting a Canton road race pan.

The Canton pan on my R hangs below the MM k-member and brace on my car.
IMG_2599-1.jpg

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
I run a stock K and mildly cut stock springs.

But I can see wanting to be VERY careful with a tubular aftermarket K in an ultra low car.

But if you think about it, even with a stock pan, you would still be fairly vulnerable.

I think I'll take the slosh protection and just try and keep the biotch on track!(so far, so good)

I'm not really all that fast, I just like to have fun with it, and I would like to have fun with it for many years.

Perhaps some skid bars could be welded in to protect the pan and engine?:shrug:
Seems like a worth while mod to me if you think some "track offs" might be inevitable.

MFE

Established Member
I installed the Canton trap-door 7-quart pan when I did my K-member this winter. I've had it to 2 track events and I no longer notice any pressure drops in hard corners. Totally happy with it. I got mine on Ebay and it came with a girdle, windage tray, and a dipstick, for about what just the pan lists for on Canton's site. Then I sold the girdle and windage tray ;) I also used the stock dipstick because the Canton pan is dimpled to clear it and there's no need for a different one if you're not running the girldle and tray.

Mine does not sit lower than any portion of the MM K-member or its bracing, even though I'm using Energy Suspension mounts that mimic the lower "convertible" and post-89 hardtop mounts, and if it did, and I were worried about it, I imagine it wouldn't be too hard to fashion a skid plate.

DSCN2469.gif

DSCN2477.gif

racebronco2

Established Member
I friend has an aluminator engine in his 03 cobra and the shop had to slightly raise one side of the engine so that the pan would clear the mm k-member.

brkntrxn

Inappropriate Motorsports
Established Member
I have a Canton on my 99 (with stock K-member). I have been two off at VIR and straddled a set of gators. The gators ground the head off one of the bolts in the 4-pt G-load brace, but never touched the pan.

gcassidy

One more lap!
Established Member
The only problem I had (which you won't) was not being able to use my stock convertible brace under my stock k-member. I doesn't clear the Canton pan. We had to cut it and re-brace it, which works, but gives me even less ground clearance.
But I have the comfort of knowing I have 1" of square Dearborn steel to grind through before hitting the pan. :D

Dirk

Established Member
oops,
I'm running a 03 Cobra convertible, so will I see the same problem with the stock convertible brace under my stock k-member with all aftermarked oil pans?

Dirk

Established Member
Would I see any benefit from the oil pan and windage tray while doing high speed runs?
Or is it just for a good pickup in corners?

Users who are viewing this thread