Lets discuss strokers...

RussZTT

Established Member
So I am pulling the motor out of my 03 Cobra here in a few weeks due to number 5 cylinder keeps hitting the snooze button. This is my everyday driver so of course I need a reliable car that I do not have to worry about anything going wrong. Don't race it much (twice in a year) but if I want to take it to the track, well I don't want to worry about it.
Anyway, talked to an engine builder friend and he was telling me NOT to go stroker. I wouldn't mind having more CI since I want to go turbo down the road. How reliable would a stroker be? Does it put alot of pressure on the bottom of the pistons then wear out the oil ring like the 347's are known for?
Thinking of building a teksid block, .20 over JE pistons with the stock Cobra crank and rods.
So what are the pro's and cons of going stroker?

Thoughts?

EDIT: I want to go stroker with the Teksid block, OR just go teksid with the parts I listed above or just stay stock.

Last edited:

RussZTT

Established Member
Found a Teksid bare block from a 93-98 Lincoln Mark VIII for $400 shipped. Good?:shrug:
I want to make sure my 03 internals will fit too.

GodStang

Established Member
Why Teksid? Why not Aluminator? I guess price? I have been running a stroker for 3 years and have never had a problem. Not sure if the stroker is worth the extra money on a PD blower but it may be on a Turbo down the road.

RussZTT

Established Member
Why Teksid? Why not Aluminator? I guess price? I have been running a stroker for 3 years and have never had a problem. Not sure if the stroker is worth the extra money on a PD blower but it may be on a Turbo down the road.
Yes the price. :)

blackvenom77

killer cobra
Established Member
There are a few stroker cobra's running around my area but their motors are fairly new. Haven't heard of any problems yet but time will tell. I plan to get a aluminum stroker from ModularPerformance at the end of the year. I've got a 97 Teksid waiting in the garage :rockon:. I'll ask John what the pro's and con's are and report back.

RussZTT

Established Member
There are a few stroker cobra's running around my area but their motors are fairly new. Haven't heard of any problems yet but time will tell. I plan to get a aluminum stroker from ModularPerformance at the end of the year. I've got a 97 Teksid waiting in the garage :rockon:. I'll ask John what the pro's and con's are and report back.
Awesome yes let me know :rockon:

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
The Mark 8 block will fit.

The skirts of stock stroke 4.6 pistons come out the bottom of the bores at BDC. If the piston to wall clearance is too loose when cold, a clearance sometimes used on a 2618 alloy forged RACE PISTON in the interest of longevity during the heat of racing, then they may be at higher risk of cold scuffing on a street car.

The best 4.6 stroker IMHO is the high deck 5.4, which has the longer cylinders to support the skirts through the entire stroke.

On a street car I would just do a clean up bore on a Teksid(20 over or less) and be happy with it.

If you really want inches get a used 32V Navi engine and build that.
The cranks are as good as ours but the rods and pistons are not.
Some have even used our heads with adapters on the taller wider 5.4 block.

There are plenty of 4.6 big bore strokers out there that have not had issues, but I think a stock stroke would be cheaper and more durable.

Just my humble opinion.

RussZTT

Established Member
The Mark 8 block will fit.

The skirts of stock stroke 4.6 pistons come out the bottom of the bores at BDC. If the piston to wall clearance is too loose when cold, a clearance sometimes used on a 2618 alloy forged RACE PISTON in the interest of longevity during the heat of racing, then they may be at higher risk of cold scuffing on a street car.

The best 4.6 stroker IMHO is the high deck 5.4, which has the longer cylinders to support the skirts through the entire stroke.

On a street car I would just do a clean up bore on a Teksid(20 over or less) and be happy with it.

If you really want inches get a used 32V Navi engine and build that.
The cranks are as good as ours but the rods and pistons are not.
Some have even used our heads with adapters on the taller wider 5.4 block.

There are plenty of 4.6 big bore strokers out there that have not had issues, but I think a stock stroke would be cheaper and more durable.

Just my humble opinion.
Jimmy, thank you that is something that I was looking for. I would love to build a 5.4 but that would take some time and more money than I can spend at this time to make it work. I wonder how much it would take to convert to a 5.4? :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread