Overheating Problem...Question looking for answer

SB VENOM

Loves Boost
Established Member
So I drove my 2003 cobra home the other night to see a bunch of steam as I parked....apparently I had just started to leak a bunch of coolant. Being 1 a.m. I could not tell where it was coming from, so the next morning I let it get up temperature and it came pouring out from the small hole on the top of the cap...sort of like a pressure release hole. I swapped caps with my GT which have the same PSI rating and it didn't come spewing out. Problem solved, wrong. Took the car to get gas and it did the same thing and started to over heat. Is this just the thermostat being stuck shut? It doesn't seem like it would be many other variables....who has an answer for me? Thanks guys

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
So I drove my 2003 cobra home the other night to see a bunch of steam as I parked....apparently I had just started to leak a bunch of coolant. Being 1 a.m. I could not tell where it was coming from, so the next morning I let it get up temperature and it came pouring out from the small hole on the top of the cap...sort of like a pressure release hole. I swapped caps with my GT which have the same PSI rating and it didn't come spewing out. Problem solved, wrong. Took the car to get gas and it did the same thing and started to over heat. Is this just the thermostat being stuck shut? It doesn't seem like it would be many other variables....who has an answer for me? Thanks guys

So is this a bone stock 03 you've had since new?:shrug:

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
I've had it since the beginning of this year... its got mufflers and a K&N

OK so you have not cracked into the cooling system recently... that helps.

Check your electric cooling fan first. It should be running if you put the A/C on Max.

If not see if it is seized. Don't lose any fingers in the process.:-D

SB VENOM

Loves Boost
Established Member
By electric fan do you mean the fan that blows air to help cool the radiator? Because my fan is definitely working...it kicks on then after about a minute works twice as hard then all of a sudden pffffffsh the coolant starts spewing from the cap. Like I said, tried a different cap so that shouldn't be the case.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
By electric fan do you mean the fan that blows air to help cool the radiator? Because my fan is definitely working...it kicks on then after about a minute works twice as hard then all of a sudden pffffffsh the coolant starts spewing from the cap. Like I said, tried a different cap so that shouldn't be the case.

Yes, the electric cooling fan on the radiator. I guess we can rule that out then.

In that case it sounds like a stuck thermostat. It also sound like air in the system. But if the cooling system has been untouched, and not drained and refilled then it is unlikely that air could have anyway to get in there.

Replacing a thermostat however will require you to carefully adhere to the burp/fill procedure if you want this problem to go away quietly.

Might as well do the search and print it out now, because if you refill your coolant though the radiator reservoir like a normal car and not slowly through burp plug in the crossover tube, and heat cycled and checked repeatedly, you will NOT BE A HAPPY CAMPER.

Last edited:

SB VENOM

Loves Boost
Established Member
Thanks a lot man, yea I just had the car towed to the local Ford dealership where luckily I know half the employees, I had to have the car taken somewhere as I had it parked on a side street when it was overheating...figured I will have them run an inspection and rule that it is the thermostat for sure...have them replace it I will probably help too and get all parts at cost. Should be the best way.

TrickStang37

Established Member
probably the cap went bad and then you needed to burp the system afterwards when you put the GT cap on.

black99lightnin

move along
Established Member
Any resolution. I've been fighting this problem for awhile, but haven't driven my car in about two weeks. Curious how your problem turns out? And why are so many of us having this problem? Maybe we should form a sticky of owners with coolant issues?

Rich

SB VENOM

Loves Boost
Established Member
THERMOSTAT, had it changed and *knock on wood, car has been fine driving around town and getting on it the last couple days.

Fang

Established Member
Sorry to be sitting here chuckling but every year about this time these thread start coming up. I have never found a cure for mine and just have to monitor things closely. I may have more of an issue than most but I seem to maintain from spewing out the blow hole. I still get too hot in my book

Users who are viewing this thread