This is a little unsettling

gcassidy

One more lap!
Established Member
I didn't notice this when I changed back to my street pads and wheels when leaving Summit Point last Sunday. But going over (under, actually) the car today looking to mount a new front brace, I noticed one of my front springs seems to be trying to get away. It could have been like that for the VIR event before Summit.

Guess the old addage, always look over your car after every track event still holds true.

loose_spring1.JPG

loose_spring2.JPG

MFE

Established Member
What's with the spacer? It totally negates the spring's retention mechanism by virtue of giving it clearance to escape the pocket. Unsettling, yeah, I'd give it that much

gcassidy

One more lap!
Established Member
It's not a spacer. That's just the way that urethane spring perch is.
But I don't like the looks of it, and it may get replaced.

I have a feeling the spring may have not been seated properly when the K-member was replaced after installing the Canton pan, but I have to get it on a lift and see how loose it feels. I couldn't get the spring to move by myself. :shrug:

Last edited:

brkntrxn

Inappropriate Motorsports
Established Member
Wow, that corner didn't sit a tad higher? Just a reminder, be careful when messing with that spring. I have a buddy with a deformed finger because of a spring on a Focus.

MFE

Established Member
Isn't that a metal ring in the urethane? If not metal, something stiff? Whose brand of isolator is that?

wheelhopper

Established Member
One more benefit of having coil overs.

If you need a hand with it Greg, let me know. I would consider eliminating all the iso's completely. I don't have any in the Cobra R and it rides as well as my '03

TroyV

Brakes only slow you down
Established Member
I agree with MFE, there should be a pocket for that spring to sit in that urethane.

SKMCOBRA

Just the Facts
Established Member
What brand of isos are they? I used Prothanes for a while and the spring goes in just like on the stock isos and there is basically no way it could slide out. That looks definately wrong. Somethings not right about those!

racer

Established Member
Wow

That was close, it just dosent look like there is enough of lip to seat that spring.
You were pretty lucky that didnt pop out on the track

sunburned

I miss my torque
Established Member
Greg, tell your wife that for your own safety, you need to get front coilovers. They aren't toooo expensive.

gcassidy

One more lap!
Established Member
I don't know who's urethane it is, but it looks like it will come out when I get the car back to my mechanic on Sat.

On the plus side, I guess I'm really lucky that it didn't come out on the track. Car actually handled pretty good, a bit more push than usual. :shrug:

Coilovers in 2 years, when kid's graduate from college. :D

93LITE

Established Member
Could that be up-side-down?? The metal ring could be re-enforcement so the spring didn't wear through the iso? Just a thought.

David Hester

Established Member
I use 2 industrial TyRaps on each of my springs to hold them in the top perch is case the car goes into full droop. They could still come off lower perch, but gravity being what it is, I don't worry about that. Just don't want them falling off the car.

wheelhopper

Established Member
^I thought of that as well. Even though I have yet to see a spring on a mustang ready to just pull out at full droop. I thing the easiest and cheapest solution is to ditch the iso's.

SKMCOBRA

Just the Facts
Established Member
Just go back to new stock isos. I didn't like the height that the Prothanes added to my car so I got rid of the uppers and went back to stock. Still have the lowers tho. I promise you there is something not right about those uppers you have in the front. Either they are installed wrong or you didn't remove something that's not supposed to be there permanently. Both my stock and Prothane isos had about a 1/2" depth on the top ones for the springs to fit up into.

Users who are viewing this thread