Pictures of Crazy Water Insect found in Sedona, AZ

wurd2

Bingo.
Established Member
A few months ago, I spent a weekend in Sedona, Arizona and went on a few nature hikes. While walking barefoot through a shallow stream, I came across an interesting creature which I nearly but thankfully did not step on. The first few obscure images of this thing show it in its natural habitat:

sedonastreammonster01.jpg

sedonastreammonster02.jpg

I grabbed a nearby stick and managed to remove the creature from the water without harming or killing it. Once it was out of the water, I was set back on my heels a bit when I realized how fast and aggressive this thing was. It was not at all happy about being disturbed and would have eaten me and my stick had it been big enough. After a few minutes of tiring the creature out with my stick so that it would hold still, I snapped some more pictures of it:

sedonastreammonster03.jpg

sedonastreammonster04.jpg

sedonastreammonster05.jpg

sedonastreammonster06.jpg

sedonastreammonster07.jpg

The amazing thing about this insect was its swimming ability and style which I regretfully could not capture with a picture. The creature would instantly flap or fold its body from an elongated posture into a tight U shape, and then repeat this maneuver to propel itself forward, or backwards really. It also had furry sections on the underside of its belly, which I assume facilitate its swimming ability.

If anyone can identify this creature, I would really appreciate it as I'm very curious to learn more about it!

4fit?

Established Member
Whoa. No idea what the hell that is. How big was it? Hard to tell by the pics. From your description, sounds like it moves itself through the water similar to a crayfish. Weird lookin fugger.

Last edited:

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
looks kind of like a Caddisfly larva or a diving beetle larva

Last edited:

CHICKS75

Crippled
Established Member
Go to Whatsthatbug.com and ask.

Dude is very informative and I have asked him about the "Brown Recluse" thread.

Edit: Astrodude called it.

Last edited:

Don Juan

Established Member
On that site they say it's harmless, yeah that's relief if you happen to have this bug crawling up your leg.

astrodudepsu

1of72 Hater
Established Member

Users who are viewing this thread