Help me pull 1g!

ABrown

Established Member
Ok guys. I want to road race the car. As it sits it has a custom made/welded 8 point cage, MM FLSFC's, Billetflow IRS brace, and MM aluminum steering rack bushings. I also have a set of Falken Azeni RT-615's waiting to go on the OEM 17x9's sitting in my garage. What do I need to throw at it to lap some ferraris and pull over 1g on the skidpad?

mblgjr

Pay Attention Boy!
Established Member
Guaranteed way?

Full Griggs GR40 with SRA and coilovers.

Or...use Bruce's delrin IRS setup w/ MM or Griggs tubular front K w/coil overs all around. You'll likely need a more dedicated track tire (for on-track Ferrari lapping). Should be able to get close to this.

Just remember track time and practice is just as important as a well prepped chassis.

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
+1 driving school and Griggs. Griggs hand's down is one of the best suspension systems money can buy..

ShelbyGuy

Steers With the Throttle
Established Member
Eating a steady diet of government cheese, and liv
+1 driving school and Griggs. Griggs hand's down is one of the best suspension systems money can buy..

right, but harder springs make you go slower if you don't yet have the skills to use them. having a mega adjustable suspension doesn't do you any good if you have neither the skills nor the tools to dial it in. might as well stay stock and spend the money on track time, pads, rotors, and tires.

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
Yes this is true that's why I said driving school and then griggs. but it's not always a bad idea to do some suspension and learn off a better handling car..

racebronco2

Established Member
you don't need griggs to pull 1g. I pulled .98, it was in the morning befor e any heat was in the track, track temp was about 60 degree and cold mx's. The 615's grip better then the mx's. I used the mmr k-member and a-arms, koni's, stock front bar and ac427's bushing. The agent forty seven is better and costs about half as much. They have been breaking ai and aix track records here in socal. That is cars equipped with griggs and mm.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Ok guys. I want to road race the car. As it sits it has a custom made/welded 8 point cage, MM FLSFC's, Billetflow IRS brace, and MM aluminum steering rack bushings. I also have a set of Falken Azeni RT-615's waiting to go on the OEM 17x9's sitting in my garage. What do I need to throw at it to lap some ferraris and pull over 1g on the skidpad?

Seat time(skills)
and then TIRES, not the other way around.

I would burn up your old tires first doing as many track days as your budget will allow.

Some things to plan on spending dollars on....
Entry fees
Fuel (4mpg)
Tires
Brake pads(get cooling ducts right away, they won't slow down your learning like other mods can)
Motels?
Meals?

Seat time will produce faster lap times, WAY sooner than car mods. FACT!

And let's not forget this is more about just enjoying your car than it is about who you might be faster than.
If you get caught up in the later it can cloud your judgment and slow down your driving development.

The speed will come, and it will come first from knowledge and practice acquired by the loose nut behind the wheel.

Seriously, a bone stock Terminator with Kumho 710s is probably pulling over 1G.:-D

But those tires are for later, they will bite a newb BAD.:read::beer:

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
Well I guess the question is, is how much are you going to get into racing?? You probaby don't need an SLA at all..

ShelbyGuy

Steers With the Throttle
Established Member
Eating a steady diet of government cheese, and liv
If a person is actually going racing then they should go get a copy of the rulebook before buying any parts.

Unfortunately what most people say when they mean "I want to go road racing" is "I'd like to learn to drive on a racetrack with corners." A person doesn't start out by buying a racecar and showing up at a race. For the safety of everyone involved, a person learns to drive with technical proficiency first.

If a person is starting out green with no experience [or even very little], I guar an freakin' tee that a stock 03/04 Cobra has more 'handling' in it than that person can use...

By the end if your first weekend driving school, my guess is you won't want 1g as much as you'll want 2g decelleration. Nearly everyone who drives these cars on the track begs for bigger brakes first.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
If a person is actually going racing then they should go get a copy of the rulebook before buying any parts.

Unfortunately what most people say when they mean "I want to go road racing" is "I'd like to learn to drive on a racetrack with corners." A person doesn't start out by buying a racecar and showing up at a race. For the safety of everyone involved, a person learns to drive with technical proficiency first.

If a person is starting out green with no experience [or even very little], I guar an freakin' tee that a stock 03/04 Cobra has more 'handling' in it than that person can use...

By the end if your first weekend driving school, my guess is you won't want 1g as much as you'll want 2g decelleration. Nearly everyone who drives these cars on the track begs for bigger brakes first.

AMEN!!!

SAGE WORDS indeed!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread