What is your favorite type of boost?

omj

Established Member
What do you prefer? Centrifugal, Positive Displacement style, or Turbocharged? I'm at a crossroads. Do I retrofit my 99 with an 03/04 Cobra blower, get a Vortech/Procharger or a twin-turbo kit? Say screw the 99 Cobra and get an 03/04 to mod? I figure with Steggy upgraded and pulley, I can come close to 500 whp. I've been totalling the costs up lately and to retrofit a t56 and put a blower on it, comes very close (about 1-2K less) than getting a Terminator. I'd love to hear from people who have been in this situation before, what you did and how well you like the outcome. Also, how much difference would I notice in the handling characteristics of my 99 vs. an 03/04? I know they weigh a bit more which puts more weight over the front end, but do they really handle that much worse? I love the way my car handles but I don't push it really hard. Damn, I have a lot of questions in my head lately. I asked this question in the NE section but I thought I'd get opinions from people with Terminators.

Nino S

Established Member
buy a 03/04 Cobra if you are only going to be $1-2k away after you dump all the money in your 99 but its all your choice. If you are going to stay with you 99 and you have an unlimited budget then twin turbos, if you want to still be able to eat then twin screw!!!

IronTerp

Mid-Atlantic Cobra Assoc.
Well turbo boost is BY FAR the most effective and effecient type of boost where you can typically see RWHP gains of 20+/- per pound of boost. A typical twin screw application will get yo 12 or so RWHP per lb.

But, the awesome low end torque of the boosted twin screws certainly make that a crowd favorite.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Also, how much difference would I notice in the handling characteristics of my 99 vs. an 03/04? I know they weigh a bit more which puts more weight over the front end, but do they really handle that much worse? I love the way my car handles but I don't push it really hard. Damn, I have a lot of questions in my head lately. I asked this question in the NE section but I thought I'd get opinions from people with Terminators.

I seriously doubt a stock 99 will out handle a stock 03/04.
The front control arms, bushings, sway bars, bushings on the IRS, tires, springs and shocks are all different and better.

But then again how do we define "handle better"?
Lap times? 03/04 wins.
Seat of the pants feel? 03/04 wins.

The only place I can see a stock 99 feeling more nimble would MAYBE be a very tight auto cross course.

Medium tight and sweepers are going to be owned by 275/40R17" rubber and better springs and shocks...etc.

Users who are viewing this thread