possible ai car

hookups333

Established Member
Do you guys think a 88 tbird would be a good ai car? I have two turbo coupes and I was originally thinking of using my 95 cobra as my race car project. What do you guys think?

racebronco2

Established Member
I know other cars are allowed but because of parts availability and cash for running certain parts/cars it might not be the best car to run. That being said a friend of mine is getting his early 70's javelin ai prepped. Should be done by years end.

hookups333

Established Member
No i havent gotten the rule book yet. There is a fab shop called southern speed and the guy who owns it makes all kinds of parts thats why I was thinking it would work plus a lot of fox body mustang parts work And im trying to keep my budget as low as possible even though i plan on taking a few years to build it so i can get some seat time.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
No i havent gotten the rule book yet. There is a fab shop called southern speed and the guy who owns it makes all kinds of parts thats why I was thinking it would work plus a lot of fox body mustang parts work And im trying to keep my budget as low as possible even though i plan on taking a few years to build it so i can get some seat time.

Another rather important question that I neglected to ask first time around is....
How much on track experience do you currently have and in what?

I don't want this to sound like I'm a freaking total HARD ASS,...... but,

Never EVER enter into the vehicle selection process for a race series without reading every last paragraph of the rule book...FIRST!!!!

Rules change from year to year, sometimes minor, sometimes major.
Be prepared to put this thing together in a year, maybe two at the most, or be open to having to change some things.

I would also include as mandatory, talking to(even on line) some of your future competitors or former competitors.("divorce forces sale") (BTW... a FANTASTIC way to acquire a near race ready car)

A far less expensive yet fully rewarding NASA series is the Camaro Mustang Challenge or CMC.

Less expensive yet is the Spec Miata category.

And finally the least expensive would be just doing "Open Crack";-) events:-D, no points to worry about, nobody is "up in your paint", your car choice is totally open and there is no such thing as cheating....

But sadly, Open Track won't give you those joyful moments in the hot pits, while you try to pry the fender off your tire from the last "RUB" you encountered with good old "Slammin Sammy Bubbawitz".:rollseyes

You don't want to be doing too much "learning as you go" in a full race series.
I would get, if you haven't already, as much seat time as possible, at open track events or time trials, in as close a car as possible to something in the chosen series that... has a chance at being semi-competitive. THEN GO RACING.

It's a lot more fun to be mid pack than to be back of the pack and getting lapped.

Attention to every tiny little detail. good record keeping and a good working knowledge of race car, grass roots physics will get you a long ways on the equipment side of things.

In the end though.... Driving and driving better than the other guys, lap after lap, after lap is what really separates the fast guys from the not so fast

Because winning or at least coming close FREAKING ROCKS!

Last edited:

Black Talon

KnightOfTheOldRepublic
Established Member
Another rather important question that I neglected to ask first time around is....

Never EVER enter into the vehicle selection process for a race series without reading every last paragraph of the rule book...FIRST!!!!

Be prepared to put this thing together in a year, maybe two at the most, or be open to having to change some things.

I would also include as mandatory, talking to(even on line) some of your future competitors or former competitors.("divorce forces sale") (BTW... a FANTASTIC way to acquire a near race ready car)

A far less expensive yet fully rewarding NASA series is the Camaro Mustang Challenge or CMC.

And finally the least expensive would be just doing "Open Crack";-) events:-D, no points to worry about, nobody is "up in your paint", your car choice is totally open and there is no such thing as cheating....

But sadly, Open Track won't give you those joyful moments in the hot pits, while you try to pry the fender off your tire from the last "RUB" you encountered with good old "Slammin Sammy Bubbawitz".:rollseyes

I would get, if you haven't already, as much seat time as possible, at open track events or time trials, in as close a car as possible to something in the chosen series that... has a chance at being semi-competitive. THEN GO RACING.

It's a lot more fun to be mid pack than to be back of the pack and getting lapped.

Attention to every tiny little detail. good record keeping and a good working knowledge of race car, grass roots physics will get you a long ways on the equipment side of things.

In the end though.... Driving and driving better than the other guys, lap after lap, after lap is what really separates the fast guys from the not so fast

:read:

racer

Established Member

+1000
And yes you are being a hard ass :beer:

hookups333

Established Member
Alrighty thanks for the advice and ill just decide later what car i should do after more experience and after i read the rule book a few times.

RodeoFlyer

Established Member
I'm gonna be the devil's advocate here........

1. A T-Bird in the "Spec Mustang" series would be a delight to see.

2. Griggs Racing has 83-88 T-Bird systems.

3. ^^^ That's because the 83-88 T-Bird is also a Fox platform car.

4. Keeping the turbo-4 would be REALLY neat - albeit expensive.

Having said that -

+1 on all of the above responses.

Users who are viewing this thread