Ok Time to do front pads and rotors, what do you recommend?

frog

Coupes without wings
Established Member
I drive the car pretty much everyday about 65 miles a day. Not looking for anything real "race" oriented, just something that doesnt make alot of noise, stops well and the less dust the better. I have seen tons of "deals" on ebay but I have seen quite a few of these cheap rotors crack under heat and destroy stuff. Any suggestions on brands and whatnot would be great.

Juruense

Banned
I went with stock pads, they should have two grades at the parts counter one will be about $45 and the other $90. They both come with new stainless steel rattle clips which you do not always get with aftermarket pads. The cheaper pads will be shimmed because it is assumed that you will be turning rotors. If you have new rotors you may have to grind off the rivets and remove the shim backer from the pads to get them to fit. Be sure and bleed your brakes and be sure and lube the caliper slide pins.

Fast Willy

Established Member
I just did the brembo OEM rotors front and rear and hawk hps pads nad love them no noise any more as long as you put there gel stuff on the pads the way they tell you to. I would also highly recommend you put stainless steel lines on the car you will stop much much better even with it being a street car and you can never stop fast enough some times.

VincodeY

Established Member
i did the SS lines and didn't notice any difference under "normal" breaking conditions. I have the Hawk HPS pads and stock rotors, aswell. It could be that it needs another bleeding but idk. my .02.

Fast Willy

Established Member
SS lines you don't notice a huge difference driving from red light to red light but its on a track going into a hard dive or something like that where you can really tell or stopping from say a 160 pull on the highway :)

frog

Coupes without wings
Established Member
Probably will do the lines just because these brakes came off a 96 cobra and they are the original old lines. Cant be too safe. :rockon:

FlaSeaDude

Building a Perfect Beast
Established Member
I haven't changed the rotors and pads on the Cobra yet. But, a couple of years ago I put Powerslot rotors and Hawk pads on my RAM 1500. They do a GREAT job of slowing down the truck when I'm pulling the boat, so I'll probably go the same route with my Cobra. :beer:

Relaxed Chaos

Just another Gen X Hero
Established Member
Premium Member
Brembo rotors from Tirerack for sure.

My last set of pads were Satisfied GS6. They worked well on the street but I melted them on the track.

TroyV

Brakes only slow you down
Established Member
+1 on the Akebono pads.. They dust very little, make no noise and stop as good or better than any street pad I've used.

You can also look at Carbotech Bobcat pads.. They dust even less, but bite similar to a track pad.

also +1 on the Brembo blanks.. You can't do better for the money..

black 10th vert

Established Member
How are the Hawk HPS pads dust-wise? I have chrome wheels, and would prefer not having them turn black every time the car comes out!

wheelhopper

Established Member
If you don't want any dust, I would go with the Hawk ceramic pads. They will stop as good as stock and leave almost no dust.

mjchip

Just Some Guy
Established Member
I drive the car pretty much everyday about 65 miles a day. Not looking for anything real "race" oriented, just something that doesnt make alot of noise, stops well and the less dust the better. I have seen tons of "deals" on ebay but I have seen quite a few of these cheap rotors crack under heat and destroy stuff. Any suggestions on brands and whatnot would be great.

I'm using the new Carbotech Bobcat formulation (1521). They have good bite, no dust, no noise. About the best performance street pad you can get for the money IMO.

MJ

Users who are viewing this thread