Ok need help from guys who know 03 cobra engines!!!

Jtemper03

Established Member
Ok here is it simplified!!

Bought 03 cobra... It blew! Had it rebuilt by STEEN RACING in VA

Cams, pistons 30 over, 2.76 pulley, catback, JLT intake, SCT X3 tune!

Car pushed 464 hp in va
Now live in Phoenix and car has 433 Hp

Shouldnt my car be in a higher HP range???

What should i do where should i go for a tune?

Last edited:

TrickStang37

Established Member
Ok bought my cobra in Dec of 07 engine blew when i changed the oil actually
it had piston slap once i changed the oil so i got took there by the seller!! Lucky me! Good thing is the Cobra came with Basani x pipe and Catback
exhaust, Frame supporters, 00 Cobra Big break kit, short shifter, and 2.76
Pulley kit and a couple other non performance parts!

So i spent about 6g's on a rebuilt engine by Steen Racing in VA! They had put in (Comp 4v Billet cams, Comp Cams 26123 springs, Diamond 4V Pistons Bore 3.572, Clevite rod bearings and main bearings, Moroso 7QT oil pan, total seal rings, ARP mainstuds and headstuds, and a Valve job and A JLT short intake!

I also bought an X3 SCT tuner for a tune! They tuned it infront of me with 93 octane and i guess shitty fuel from 7/11 in VA! Well the car came out to have

464.9 HP
47?.? TQ

Now Does that sound right! Should it have more?

Ok and here is another question!

I moved back to Phoenix AZ cause i was military in VA and did my 4 years and got out honorably! And went to get my car tuned for here but when i showed up to the shop they couldnt do it cause they didnt have the right stuff!! Shitty luck again! LOL so they just did a pull and they said i only had

433.07 HP
439.33 TQ

What is goin on??? Am i crazy or is my car just not running like it should! Whay should my Boost be at and what should my HP b and is it just a bad tune cause the car runs strong! Last night on a new belt i was only pushing 12 to 13 pounds!!! Please help guys! I miss my car!
wow, there is so much here. first i will start off with saying that you should use exclamation points less and maybe some periods.

other than that, it's hard to say about the boost. It's pretty hot in AZ and there is some altitude, so 12-13#'s might be normal. Also, what kind of dyno machine did they use on both instances and what correction factor did they use? your 464 numbers seem like they are about right. The fuel shouldnt really be an issue since it all comes from the same place anyways. What timing did they go with and what does your air/fuel ratio look like?

Jtemper03

Established Member
Im sorry bout that whole mess! Im pretty new at leaving threads!

But the A/F ... I was told as long as it doesnt go over 12.0 on my guage i will b fine!

and the tunes were on a Dyno Dynamics and a Pro Dyno

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Elevation

I would fatten up the fuel on your x-cal a few percentage points and perhaps pull some timing out.

This is assuming you want to be detonation free while running a 93 octane tune in what I believe is a 91 octane state.

Start shopping for a new tuner, since you could actually mess some stuff up adjusting with your X-cal if you are unfamiliar with tunes.

I wouldn't sweat the power loss, it will likely end up being an elevation issue, or just a different dyno setting.
When you do have a known and reputable tuner, take the advice given, and if it is an e-mail tune get your important parameters(they will tell you and may even send you the data log files) data logged and sent back to your tuner ASAP, so they can tweak the final tune for you.

The important thing is you want it to stay together and remain a fun car.

IronTerp

Mid-Atlantic Cobra Assoc.
Sounds like the dyno in Arizona is putting out different numbers than the one in Virginia. There's possibly not a thing wrong with the car.

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member
I replied in your other thread but a non ported Eaton isn't going to push much more power at all on your engine with the same boost as before. Then like said above it could easily be the dyno and the Arizona factor could be huge.

Do a compression check after the engine is broken in and get a TwinScrew on that thing.

TrickStang37

Established Member
I replied in your other thread but a non ported Eaton isn't going to push much more power at all on your engine with the same boost as before. Then like said above it could easily be the dyno and the Arizona factor could be huge.

Do a compression check after the engine is broken in and get a TwinScrew on that thing.

i agree, the eaton is already at the limit of what it can efficiently give. Those other mods (cams) aren't being given the chance to provide the power they are capable of making.

Jtemper03

Established Member
SO pretty much my car needs to be tuned for the different elevation change and octane change and the whole built engine really doesnt matter unless i upgrade my Supercharger and Fuel!

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member
SO pretty much my car needs to be tuned for the different elevation change and octane change and the whole built engine really doesnt matter unless i upgrade my Supercharger and Fuel!

Exactly! There's so much more potential in your motor (if it was built right which it seems you're worried about) that it's not even funny. You just need to get it more air.

Users who are viewing this thread