Terminator Question

sandman6983

Established Member
Ok I got a question hoping you guys can help...I'm looking to get my first Terminator, my question is how does it handle? Obviously the raw power is there...how well does it do in corners? I'm not looking to race it pro or anything but maybe an outing to the track now and then. Thanks!

RRRR03Cobra

Anti-venom is Useless!
Established Member
The independent suspension really helps on the handling aspect of the car! Once you install some better springs, it really handles awesome!!

Black Talon

KnightOfTheOldRepublic
Established Member
Ok I got a question hoping you guys can help...I'm looking to get my first Terminator, my question is how does it handle? Obviously the raw power is there...how well does it do in corners? I'm not looking to race it pro or anything but maybe an outing to the track now and then. Thanks!

Handles good. Do some work to the irs-suspension and you have a track star.

Digital

Established Member
Make sure you snag new bushings all the way around, grab yourself the IRS brace and springs, shocks, struts, etc. Toss a sub-frame connector on there and you can take on other world class handling cars no problem.

chopps

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Established Member
+1 on the above.
I did it all plus a little more and WOW makes a huge diffirence.

JymBart

Established Member
+2 Besides the above I also added a Hans Race Craft Rear Shock Tower Brace, ... strange adjustable shocks, Billetflow differential cover brace,.......... and don't forget some sticky tires, . I went with KDWs 2., .. and better brakes.

JymBart

Last edited:

Jomo1994z71

Can I get a KB WooWee!
Established Member
Agreed with the above posts...it Handles well...the IRS is great...one of the first things I noticed when I drove mine was how well it takes corners and hugs the road...howeverit can be a little clunky but hell it's a mustang...

sandman6983

Established Member
I've owned a few muscle cars before (87 Z28 and 84 T/A w/ a small block 400) and I figure it has to handle better than them. I was only into straight line performance then though. Recently I've be messing with imports (I know, I know) but they handle great it's just the raw power isn't there. That and I just can't get away from the V8 sound.

Last edited:

Juruense

Banned
Like all Mustangs the handling in stock form is barely acceptable and suited for straight line racing only. The IRS makes it a bit better than the standard SRA but still will need to do a lot of work to get into the superior category in handling.

Last edited:

HEMIHUNTER

Established Member
Well....i'll play devils advocate here just to stir the pot a little
You can make it just about the best handling mustang ever made [ can't speak for the gt500 though] z06's will out handle you stock vettes will come close.[ its all in the driver lol] but you will surprise a lot of people that just see a mustang.
world class handling i don't think so. but i'm talkin' pushin' it to the limit of course.
Stock theCobra pulled .90 on the skidpad....very respectable If you improve handling 10% you're dam near a 1.0 which is excellent.
you wouldn't be out cornering any lotus' or z06's but you won't be so far behind you wouldn't make it up on the straights. [ dam that was long winded]
It is still a mustang. [ but then again what will beat it costs3x as much.

MWR

YWSOTD
Established Member

For what the car is, it turns pretty damn good with a few mods!

jm@ReischePerf

Owner & Operations Mgr
Established Member
Premium Member
Coilovers, subframes and all Delrin bushings, a few other goodies and I can't see how anyone would be disappointed. Stock it's not bad at all for a larger sports car.

sonic cobra

Established Member
SVT engineers breathed on the terminator suspension and achieved amazing results. This car is nothing like "all other mustangs" 100% stock, it handles remarkably well. Car is more capable on a road course than 90% of those who own them. As driver skills improve, brake ducts and front brake upgrade are necessary. You don't have to go any futher than the '00 Cobra R for that.
If not already installed. full length subframe connectors should go on immediately.
With more track time you will be able to figure out what you need to improve next.

Go ahead, you will be pleasantly surprised.

sandman6983

Established Member
I had already planned on doing the "red pill" upgrades almost immediately. And will initially lower it on either H&R race or Steeda Springs, then might go to coilovers in the future. I imagine the red pill and springs will help alot in the strength and handling dept. Then of course a few power mods...lol.

sonic cobra

Established Member
I kinda did the Max Motorsports IRS grip box, MMRG-21 I think, coil-overs and all. Just about everything but the K-member. Very happy with the results.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Stock springs and shocks, intermediate run group, mods are on page 3 of link in sig.

Don't change anything except maybe adding brake cooling and SFCs.

Spend your money on seat time, do as many sessions as you can afford. You will be going through brake pads and tires, plus entry fees and possibly motel costs.

Fuel adds up also. So don't go spending a bunch of money on go fast stuff until you can drive the car to it's potential limit, which is quite high, not at all like most Mustangs.

Enjoy! Prepare to get addicted!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03ALG6pN_R0"]YouTube - Jimmysidecarr Takes a Lap Around MSR-H[/ame]

Black Talon

KnightOfTheOldRepublic
Established Member
Stock springs and shocks, intermediate run group, mods are on page 3 of link in sig.

Don't change anything except maybe adding brake cooling and SFCs.

Spend your money on seat time, do as many sessions as you can afford. You will be going through brake pads and tires, plus entry fees and possibly motel costs.

Fuel adds up also. So don't go spending a bunch of money on go fast stuff until you can drive the car to it's potential limit, which is quite high, not at all like most Mustangs.

Enjoy! Prepare to get addicted!

YouTube - Jimmysidecarr Takes a Lap Around MSR-H

That is the best advice you could ever get.

Users who are viewing this thread