1 blower, 2 blowers. Let's Compaire.

PSE SVT

Established Member
There are a lot of people saying that a 3.4 would be better than 2 smaller superchargers. The answer is NO. The only way to answer is with this long boring explanation.

Twin superchargers compared to a single all depends on several things. First, you need to correctly match the blower CFM output to the desired power output of the engine. This must be done without over spinning the supercharger, keeping the operating range in the sweet spot of the blower or peak adiabatic efficiency.
To achieve over 1000HP you need a lot of cool air. About 1600 cfm to start. So what S/C has an output of 1600 cfm? A 4-liter single could work but man the rotors would be really heavy and the blower to far forward. A 3.3 only puts out 1236 cfm @ MAX 11,000 rpm and the pair of 3.3 screw rotors and gears weigh 22.65lb, also the blower is so long, the output delta sits over front of the manifold blowing forward and down not in the intercooler.
Rotor mass or weight should also be considered. This is important because getting these rotors to spin up and slow down consumes engine power and affects acceleration rate.

So what about two 1.6 L blowers? Lets compare the two options:

Two 1.6L (3.2L)@15psi vs One 3.3L@ 15psi

Rotor & gear weight: 18.4 lbs (9.2 ea.) vs 22.65 lbs
CFM flow: 1236.2 @ 11.5k vs 1236.2 @ 11k
Max cfm capable: 1624.72 @ 15k vs 1236.2 @ 11k
Max RPM: 15k vs 11k
Power used: 90hp vs 104hp
Temperature: 242.6F vs 250.8F
Adiabatic efficiency: 63% vs 57%

The compressor map for this data can be found on Lysholm’s web site. As you can see, a single 3.3L will not support a cfm level of 1600 cfm and if you over spin it to get there the output numbers get really bad. And then you get to be MY new best friend continually bringing me your trashed out supercharger to replace.

An Additional benefit with the quad rotor manifold is the large open plenum that the air can easily flow through.
Also, you don’t want to oversize the blower for your desired application. Otherwise you will be operating outside of its efficiency range.

When you use 2 superchargers in parallel you cut the engine size in half. So each 1.6 L S/C is working 2.7 L of engine. This makes a perfect match.

Just to cover all concerns of belt drag, the addiction of 1 s/c pulley is less than 1/8 hp.

Both Jim and Art made their own twin supercharger manifold and made very big power. Whipple has about 100 Quad rotors thought the world in boat’s and one on a truck, mine.

This set up is expensive to build, time consuming and big in size and I'll never do this again.

Last edited:

PACIFICGREENSVT

Established Member
how about three?
ETON-1.gif

F8LBYTE 2

Established Member
i seen at the shop my cars at there was a race car there that had twin procharger f-2,s on it. wish i could have heard that thing start up damn!!

WDW MKR

Established Member
Nice write-up. Only thing I'm confused about is the blower RPM and associated low flow you're limiting the calculations to; especially giving the twin blower arrangement an extra 4K RPM to work with. The twin screws are typically spun much harder than 11K without crossing the max threshold outlined by the manufacturer. KB and Whipple typically limit their twin screws to a conservative 18,000RPM. Many folks run them into the lower 20s with no issue. The biggest flow restriction for the large (2.8L/3.4L) PD blowers is getting an inlet large enough. The new KB Mammoth and the 3.4L revised inlet look to finally address the problem. Of course, they come at a cost. These PD blowers put out much more than 1200CFM when spun within their efficiency.

The 3.4L is getting ready to crack the 8s@150+ in an SRA/auto Cobra. That's blower-only, with no spray. Hard to argue with simplicity that works.

Last edited:

DREX01AZ

Established Member
Ya I just saw your video on You Tube. I think you were getting ready ta tune it or sumthing. You should post one on running, id love to see it.

jeffs

Established Member
I'd love to fix some belt slip issues running two blowers! The blower on the right / the blower on the left, the crank??? I'd also love to buy 2 blowers. But yeah, the wow factor's there. I'm guessing top fuel dragsters, funny cars, and so on probably have the greatest need for horsepower, do they use one or two blowers? What weighs more, 30 lbs worth of rotors on one blower, or the same weight divided into two blowers? Defineately a cool idea, but a little too impractical for my taste, but If you've made it work efficiently and reliably, my hat's off to ya, just sounds like a big headache to me though.

jeffs

Established Member
how about three?
ETON-1.gif
How about changing plugs, wires, or oil on that thing, then getting smoked by a Turbo Terminator or Supra, Not saying the cool factor isn't there, I just don't see any of this being of much use, other than a car show, in and out of the trailer with a winch.

PSE SVT

Established Member
How about changing plugs, wires, or oil on that thing, then getting smoked by a Turbo Terminator or Supra, Not saying the cool factor isn't there, I just don't see any of this being of much use, other than a car show, in and out of the trailer with a winch.

I drive the truck every weekend, i'm addicted to it. My drifting skills are getting better. You must be looking at the video where my GT-1 Corvette is in the background. Yep, that one has a big trailer with a really long winch. The only time the lighting is on the trailer, is when my wife and I go to a show out of State, because there may not be gas stations along the way selling 100 octane. I guess I put 91 in it and keep my foot out of the gas.....nah, I can't do that.

Users who are viewing this thread