difference in 01 cobra and 03 mach

wesking1

Established Member
what is the difference in the 01 cobra and 03 mach one hp wise why do they have 15 more horsepower stock what is the different about them

Nor Cal Mach

I love this AMERICAN RIDE
Established Member
The Mach1s have improved heads from the factory and not to mention the obvious the shaker is like having a second intake.

wesking1

Established Member
i am talking about the cobra has 15 more horsepower some how they have 320 we have 305

FL-Orange

Almost Native
Established Member
The word was that the Mach's were underrated. Couldn't have a non-SVT vehicle making more power than a SVT (01's at the time).

50GTMach1

Established Member
what is the difference in the 01 cobra and 03 mach one hp wise why do they have 15 more horsepower stock what is the different about them

I know your question is a technical one but to address the differences from an experience point of view I've driven both cars in stock form. The cobra had a stiffer clutch, definitely a stronger pull in first second and third gear. Both the Mach and Cobra felt the same in 4th and 5th gear though. It felt like the cobra clutch hooked harder than the mach in those early shifts. also the steering was much stiffer in the cobra (actually harder to turn the wheel). I own a 2004 mach 1 and i was driving a buddy's 01 Cobra. The Mach was an easier drive.

ponygt65

Multi-Quotin' Fool
Established Member
ok ok......DO NOT believe that 305 rating. Look at the Dyno numbers of stock machs.

What's different motor wise? Not too much.

The mach has different head design, intake cams suited better for low-mid TQ, different upper intake, different TB, 10:1 CR (slightly more than 9.85 of Cobra). Mach's have a WAP block and Cobra's have Teksid blocks (nothing to do with rated power though). Cobra's intake cams are setup for mid-upper HP because of Duration difference.

The cars themselves?....machs optioned with an Auto but had a lower redline and cast iron crank. They had a solid rear with 3.55s. Mid 01 ford went to the 3650 tranny, so all 99s and some 01 had the T45 tranny. Cobra's have IRS with 3.27s, and slightly different suspension.

That's all I can recall right now.

xXAzureMach1Xx

Established Member
They have the same TB and not all 99 cobras have the Teksid block. A buddy had a 99 cobra and the best he could get was a 9.0 in the 1/8 with exhaust and prochamber and some other little things and im at 8.5 in the 1/8 with CAI and some 315 street tires so i dont think the cobras out power the mach 1, if anything its the other way around.

Ben99GT

Just a stock GT
Established Member
Pretty much covered...

Different heads (advantage Mach)
Slightly revised intake casting (advantage Mach)
Slightly different compression (advantage Mach)
Different intake cams (advantage Cobra)

Machs usually dyno a tiny bit higher, especially on torque.
If either engine is making more real world power, it's the Mach... but overall they are very close.

Since the Cobra is rated at 320/317, the Mach probably should have been rated 325/330 to be more realistic.

Last edited:

EVO-lution

Established Member
ok ok......DO NOT believe that 305 rating. Look at the Dyno numbers of stock machs.

What's different motor wise? Not too much.

The mach has different head design, intake cams suited better for low-mid TQ, different upper intake, different TB, 10:1 CR (slightly more than 9.85 of Cobra). Mach's have a WAP block and Cobra's have Teksid blocks (nothing to do with rated power though). Cobra's intake cams are setup for mid-upper HP because of Duration difference.

The cars themselves?....machs optioned with an Auto but had a lower redline and cast iron crank. They had a solid rear with 3.55s. Mid 01 ford went to the 3650 tranny, so all 99s and some 01 had the T45 tranny. Cobra's have IRS with 3.27s, and slightly different suspension.

That's all I can recall right now.

01 Cobras did not have the teksid blocks. But basically he nailed it on the head right there. :)

They have the same TB and not all 99 cobras have the Teksid block. A buddy had a 99 cobra and the best he could get was a 9.0 in the 1/8 with exhaust and prochamber and some other little things and im at 8.5 in the 1/8 with CAI and some 315 street tires so i dont think the cobras out power the mach 1, if anything its the other way around.

all 99 Cobra's had the Teksid's, If your friend doesn't have one it may have been a swapped block r someone blew the motor before him. it was the last year for them. MarkVIII's also had the Teksids as well.

ponygt65

Multi-Quotin' Fool
Established Member
I could have sworn the cobra's had a round TB, not Oval. I must be mixing up the 96-98 with the 99-01 on that part.

did your buddy have the 'fix'?

01 Cobras did not have the teksid blocks. But basically he nailed it on the head right there. :)

all 99 Cobra's had the Teksid's, If your friend doesn't have one it may have been a swapped block r someone blew the motor before him. it was the last year for them. MarkVIII's also had the Teksids as well.
The 01's had a WAP? I don't wanna second guess you as you owned one and I have not, but I could have sworn it was:

96-98 Romeo/Teksid
99-01 Teksid
03-04 Cast Iron.
Teksid, schmeksid...
:lol: - I'd use one if I could. But I think the Mach WAP is fine.

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
I could have sworn the cobra's had a round TB, not Oval. I must be mixing up the 96-98 with the 99-01 on that part.

did your buddy have the 'fix'?

The 01's had a WAP? I don't wanna second guess you as you owned one and I have not, but I could have sworn it was:

96-98 Romeo/Teksid
99-01 Teksid
03-04 Cast Iron.

:lol: - I'd use one if I could. But I think the Mach WAP is fine.

some 01s have the WAP but a lot of the 01s have came with a Teksid...mine is a mid production car and it came with a teksid

ponygt65

Multi-Quotin' Fool
Established Member
some 01s have the WAP but a lot of the 01s have came with a Teksid...mine is a mid production car and it came with a teksid

OK..that's what I was thinking. I recall you telling me that before. For some reason I thought they went to the 3650 and Wap at the same time. Prior to that it was the teksid and T45.

Oh..and :bash: on my romeo comment. No romeo blocks for those. I shouldn't have said that.

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
OK..that's what I was thinking. I recall you telling me that before. For some reason I thought they went to the 3650 and Wap at the same time. Prior to that it was the teksid and T45.

Oh..and :bash: on my romeo comment. No romeo blocks for those. I shouldn't have said that.

actually all the 01 Cobras came with the POS 3650 as well

the GTs however switched mid run to the 3650 from the T45

As for blocks
96-98, 99 Teksid
01 teksid and WAP...i have seen more Teksid than WAP

EVO-lution

Established Member

As for blocks
96-98, 99 Teksid

the 3650 is worse tranny than the T-45? i kinda like the tranny better than my previous T-45. reverse was soooo difficult at times. the 3650 feels smoother too

ponygt65

Multi-Quotin' Fool
Established Member

As for blocks
96-98, 99 Teksid

Hmm..I thought the first run of 01's had the T45 along with the GT's.

KduncSS

Ille qui nos omnes servab
Established Member
The OP's question has been answered.......but what the hell Ill add to it. The Machs were UNDER RATED!

That became obvious to me and my friend the first time we took his bone stock 04 Mach 1 out and had a couple of street runs. Then it didnt take long for the info to hit the mags and the interwebs to validate our findings. He dynoed circa 285 rwhp stock and then 296 rwhp with just a catted x pipe, weld in flows, and K&N filter. Way off the 305 crank hp rating.

STG

Banned
The OP's question has been answered.......but what the hell Ill add to it. The Machs were UNDER RATED!

That became obvious to me and my friend the first time we took his bone stock 04 Mach 1 out and had a couple of street runs. Then it didnt take long for the info to hit the mags and the interwebs to validate our findings. He dynoed circa 285 rwhp stock and then 296 rwhp with just a catted x pipe, weld in flows, and K&N filter. Way off the 305 crank hp rating.

C&L intake, SLP Loudmouth cat-back, tune by Danny Swanson. 292 RWHP,313lb. ft.:

SWANSON-DYNO-SHEET.jpg

Last edited:

WeeZee

Member of NMRA
Established Member
Shaker hood, Gears 3.55's not 3.27's. Tr3650 trans not the T-45/T-5 in the '01 cobra. 2003 Terminator Cobra factory heads and 2003 Terminator Cobra forged crank also came in the Mach1 and not in the '01 Cobra

Last edited:

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
Shaker hood, Gears 3.55's not 3.27's. Tr3650 trans not the T-45/T-5 in the '01 cobra. 2003 Terminator Cobra factory heads and 2003 Terminator Cobra forged crank also came in the Mach1 and not in the '01 Cobra

once again

All 01 Cobras have the 3650 trans, and ALL MODULAR COBRAS HAVE A FORGED CRANK

Users who are viewing this thread