Pls Help With a Oil Leak...

01WhiteCobra

Established Member
Newbie (duh!) here.

I have an 01 Cobra that has developed a serious leak.

It is between the engine block and the oil filter, before oil cooler (I think!).

Is the setup like this:

engine block->oil filter mount->oil cooler->filter?

or

engine block->oil cooler->filter?

As in are there two cast metal pieces between the block and filter or just one?

I looked underneath today and it is leaking from an almost perfect circle about 4-5" back from the filter (and a good ways from the block). The reason I ask if there are one or two pieces there is because, if there is one, it is the almost perfect crack (perfect circle around the part).

Thanks in advance.

Eric

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
F6AZ.6840.A.......adapter to block gasket is what it sounds like.... not real common, but these things do happen from time to time...not too bad to change....
check your 6881 adapter hsng when you get it off and make sure it's ok, no cracks or casting flaws.....good luck.... and welcome....
Jim:thumbsup:

Last edited:

01WhiteCobra

Established Member
Thanks for the quick reply! Here is a pic of the leak. The filter is to the right, the block to the left and you are looking up at the engine. The dark line you see where the arrow is pointing is where the leak is.

Oil Leak

Last edited:

E. Green Cobra

Bounced in the 1st!
Established Member
I think I may have had the problem you are having, did you just change the oil? I had a similar problem after I changed my oil, when I started the car up I was getting a massive dose of oil on the ground, it happened between the filter and the filter housing, at first we thought it was a double gasket, but upon further review the "bolt"(for lack of the right word) that the filter screws onto, holds the housing together. The bolt is screwed into the block (the opposite way) and then the filter screws onto the bolt, overtightening the filter causes the bolt to loosen, which loosens the filter and the housing, resulting in the "leak". To fix it we put the car up in the air, removed the filter and with a special bit (was like a large allen wrench) tightened the bolt back down. Anyway this was my problem, and maybe its yours, I didn't see the pic you posted, so if you fixed your problem or this isnt the fix , then jsut disregard. Good Luck

01WhiteCobra

Established Member
Maybe DFWStangs is blocking direct linking to images. I made it a link. See if you can see it.

Since it is still under warranty, I'll have Ford Roadside Assistance tow it to the dealer and let him repair it. I was wondering if someone had experience with it ("oh yea, I had that, this is what I did") and if it was an e-z fix and not much $$$$ I would just do it myself.

The only thing I can see the dealer being a pain about is I used Mobil 1 in the incorrect weight and not the having the correct weighted oil causing the problem and hearing the infamous "denied" I hear Ford is famous about.

We shall see! Thanks guys.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
I work at a dealer(parts)....they have no way of knowing what weight oil you run , short of sending a sample to a lab....I'm not seeing that happening.....not to worry....they'll fix it.
never could see the pics...

01WhiteCobra

Established Member
Originally posted by Jimmysidecarr
I work at a dealer(parts)....they have no way of knowing what weight oil you run , short of sending a sample to a lab....I'm not seeing that happening.....not to worry....they'll fix it.
never could see the pics...

Hmmm... lets see if I can host it on another server...

leak.jpg

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
ok that's what I thought...thanks
now please don't take this the wrong way but we do have some gravitational issues w/ any oil leak....and yes it's possible that could be the leak source.......BUT, the 6881 adapter attaches to the block above that hsng and it could have run down to that point...
What we do, and you're guys probably will too, is clean it up good and put uv oil leak dye in and run it.....no more guessing....I'm still thinking it's that adapter to block gasket though:thumbsup:

Last edited:

01WhiteCobra

Established Member
Originally posted by Jimmysidecarr
ok that's what I thought...thanks
now please don't take this the wrong way but we do have some gravitational issues w/ any oil leak....and yes it's possible that could be the leak source.......BUT, the 6881 adapter attaches to the block above that hsng and it could have run down to that point...
What we do, and you're guys probably will too, is clean it up good and put uv oil leak dye in and run it.....no more guessing....I'm still thinking it's that adapter to block gasket though:thumbsup:

jimmysidecar, they ended up replacing the '0' ring on the oil cooler and at the oil filter mount.

Then they proceeded to refill it with 5W30. lol

I did question him about the filling with 5W30. He said they always fill with 5W30, not 5W20.

2stangBK

Established Member
Isnt it funny how that works???? 5w20 on the cap, and the dealer fills it with 5w30.... Glad you fixed the leak though. I learned a few things from this post!
PS- I also run 5w30...

Users who are viewing this thread