2013 GT500 Muffler Internals

Draiter

Established Member
Had to resurrect this thread to give an update. After doing this mod and being initially happy with the results I would NOT RECOMMEND this mod. That's right, I would NOT RECOMMEND it.
Here's why....
First. Although there is more sound and at a deeper pitch it comes with some issues. The section of pipe I cut is actually a pipe within a pipe. When you cut the section out as I did the pipe loses it's rigidity result in an embarrassing rattle on deceleration. The internal pipes themselves will vibrate on decel around 3000rpms and it's loud and annoying. There was a simple fix to this.... open the mufflers back up and weld a bracket between the two cut pipes...RESULT....decel vibration gone.
Second. The bracket solves the decel vibration resulting from the internal outer pipe vibrating. This results in another problem, the inner pipe loses part of it's rigidity from the cut as well. This manifests itself on a mild, but noticeable vibration/echo on acceleration around 1500rpms and again at 3000rpms (why these two ranges is beyond me.) There is a simple solution to this problem.... If you decide to cut the pipe, before you weld in a bracket on the outer internal pipe, place a few welds from the inner pipe to the outer pipe tying the two pipes together, then weld a bracket across the span of the two outer pipes tying them together. This solves the vibrating problem.
It might be worth it to some people to do this mod if, and only if, you do the two things I mentioned above when you first open the muffler. I ended up moding the muffler further to bring it back closer to stock.
The choice is ultimately yours, but I just wanted to give you all the heads up and more information to make that choice.
Cheers

Decided to cut into my stock mufflers to modify them for better sound... Why you ask? Well, besides being a complete moron, I have the tools at my disposal to put them back together and figured.... WTF.....

UPDATE - the inner and outer pipes on the outlet portion of the muffler has fibreglass packing layered between them

Just wanted to share a few pictures of the internals of the stock mufflers for anyone who is interested...
I cut the muffler about 2/3 towards the tips and 1/5 in front of the rear inlet. The muffler has a stainless steel inner skin and an aluminized outer skin.

First and second pictures shows a shot from tip end towards the inlet... You can see the inlet pipe on the right side of the picture and the dual outlet pipes on the left. Towards the back of the muffler is a perforated screen. Behind that screen appears to be a "steel wool" type packing material.

IMG_20131116_164103_zpsbeeb03a0.jpg

IMG_20131116_164140_zpsf48ca25b.jpg

Third picture shows a top down shot of the muffler with the flap pealed back, you can see the dual outlet pipes, the inlet pipe (lower right), and just in front of the inlet pipe is another pipe, about 4 inches long that vents from the rear chamber into the front chamber of the muffler.

****UPDATE**** If you plan on trying this mod you only need to cut the section open BETWEEN the two sets of tack welds, you do not need to cut as far rearward as I did in this picture. You can cut the muffler housing in front of the rear support bracket (there is no support bracket (despite the tack welds) towards the outlet portion of the muffler). Doing this also means that your welds do not have to look pretty because they will be hidden when the mufflers are put back on the car.

IMG_20131116_164156_zpsc8e40e64.jpg

Fourth pictures is a shot from the inlet end of the muffler towards the outlet. You can see the outlet pipes. The outlet pipes are a "pipe within a pipe". The inner pipe is perforated and outer pipe is solid and wraps around the inner pipe.

IMG_20131116_164131_zpsbedb5336.jpg

The fifth picture is a top down view again, similar to the ones above. You can see on the right side of the dual outlets the "pipe within a pipe" idea I mentioned. The inner casing of the outlet pipes is open on the right end of the pipes. The outer casing stops about 3/8" from the end of each outlet, and the inner pipe is flared out around it (there is a gap between the inner and outer pipes)

IMG_20131116_164114_zpsd6766c11.jpg

I have several thoughts in mind to increase the "loudness" of the exhaust..... closing off the secondary pipe leading from the rear chamber to the front...or blocking off the perforated screen at the inlet end of the muffler.... or cutting a 1 to 2 inch section out of the two outlet pipes in the forward chamber...

****UPDATE**** Picture shows the section I cut out.

IMG_20131116_164114cut_zpsee6e9b3e.jpg

Last edited:

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Very cool!
Was wondering what was in there, first stock Mustang mufflers I didn't want to change right away.
I like the stock mufflers so much I bought a second set, planned on flat blacking the case and polishing the tips, but now just went aftermarket.
Cool to see what you come up with.
They're heavy bastards eh?
-J

Draiter

Established Member
I took a 1 1/2" section out of each of the two outlet pipes... Have it welded back up.. just have to grind, prime, rust paint... then do the other one.

scottGT500

Established Member
Sub'n...

I wonder if the FRPP's have a similar design inside less the fiberglass packing to make them louder...

Very cool OP!

Scott

Draiter

Established Member
what are you looking to achieve ?

At the very least, something to keep me out of trouble.... I figured, if I can achieve what I'm looking for at a minimal monetary investment, then I might as well do it... At this point I'm about 3 hours in, and 8$

The exhaust was not loud enough for me... thus.... an increase in volume....

Last edited:

brad65ford

Ford Powered
Established Member
At the very least, something to keep me out of trouble....

Totally agree, glad just to see something new an interesting.
The stock mufflers don't sound to bad IMO. Looking forward to seeing what you do. Any video of before and after to look forward to?

09Troublemaker

" That don't sound stock"
Established Member
At the very least, something to keep me out of trouble.... I figured, if I can achieve what I'm looking for at a minimal monetary investment, then I might as well do it... At this point I'm about 3 hours in, and 8$

cool... perhaps you could do mine if it comes out good.... :beer:

Draiter

Established Member
cool... perhaps you could do mine if it comes out good.... :beer:

LOL, perhaps...

Taking the fiberglass packing out would have been ideal, but there was really no way to do that. The outlet tubes are welded at the tip end, and crimped at the inlet end in the first chamber.

Have both mufflers done. Welded back up.. Just waiting to put them back in and hear how it sounds.

Last edited:

RUQWIKR

Established Member
Post some sound clips. This is similar to what the Z06 guys do. If you search "muffler mod Z06", you can see similar things. Great to see someone take the lead in tweaks like this!

Draiter

Established Member
Post some sound clips. This is similar to what the Z06 guys do. If you search "muffler mod Z06", you can see similar things. Great to see someone take the lead in tweaks like this!

Yes, I've seen this mod done as well to the Z06. Would have been A LOT easier to do something similar had the internal setup been the same.
Once I get them on, this weekend, I'll put up a clip. Unfortunately, my car is away for the winter so it will just be idle and rev....:cryying:

Draiter

Established Member
Got the mufflers back on today.
WOW... quite the difference.
The exhaust note is deeper, and the volume has increased a fair amount. It's not to the point of being obnoxious, but definitely sounds more like an aftermarket exhaust.
The sound at idle is deeper, and far more throaty...
When revving it's quite a bit louder, much deeper and non raspy.
I have tried to take video of it, but it has been way too windy as of late.

Well worth the time involved to mod the mufflers. If you have access to a mig or tig welder, angle grinder, reciprocating saw and know how to use them, by all means you need to do this...

09Troublemaker

" That don't sound stock"
Established Member
Got the mufflers back on today.
WOW... quite the difference.
The exhaust note is deeper, and the volume has increased a fair amount. It's not to the point of being obnoxious, but definitely sounds more like an aftermarket exhaust.
The sound at idle is deeper, and far more throaty...
When revving it's quite a bit louder, much deeper and non raspy.
I have tried to take video of it, but it has been way too windy as of late.

Well worth the time involved to mod the mufflers. If you have access to a mig or tig welder, angle grinder, reciprocating saw and know how to use them, by all means you need to do this...

Would love to hear a vid.... I have the means at work and manpower :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread