6 disc cd changer pretty much done.

CY98Cobra

Established Member
Just thought I'd show some pics of the radio swap. All I have left to do is mount the switches along the bottom.
Here's a before
radiobefore.jpg

Here's the after (minus the switches)
Radiocomplete.JPG

I also hooked up the speed sensitive volume, which is great. No more turning the volume up and down while driving. They should have came with this from the factory :rockon:

And here's a pic of the Cervini's side scoops I bought. Paint will be here Wednesday so I'll have them on sometime the end of next week. I'll make sure and post pics during and after.
sidescoops.JPG

2L8IWON

"I'm on the Mutha Fugger"
Established Member
Nice, did you have to paint the radio suround piece? If you look for it that radio should also have a RDS feature (the one in my '03 Snake did)which is relaly nice!

CY98Cobra

Established Member
It does have that feature. What exactly does it do? I haven't played with it much.

I painted the bezel with Krylon plastic paint. It's specifically made to bond to the plastic. Works good.

Tabres

Not without incident
Established Member
It's too bad you don't have nitrous or something. You could have left those switches there and used them for that purpose. That'd be pretty slick, and look factory stock.

Looks awesome man! :beer:

sLOWDOHC

Established Member
What was the final price of the scoops, if you dont mind. Trying to gauge what I should ask for mine.

I believe Cervinis sell theirs for $90, vs the $125 I paid for the CDC pieces. Let me know how well the fit/finish is when you get them. Im pretty sure the same quality as their hoods....

Allen96Cobra

Established Member
Woburn, MA - Currently Deployed to Kuwait
What did you need for the swap? Just the bezel and head unit?

Some of the paint is worn out on my bezel and on the volume control of the stock head unit. I want to replace them but I really like the stock look. This would be perfect for me. Any info is much appreciated.

Allen

CY98Cobra

Established Member
sLOWDOHC said:
What was the final price of the scoops, if you dont mind. Trying to gauge what I should ask for mine.

I believe Cervinis sell theirs for $90, vs the $125 I paid for the CDC pieces. Let me know how well the fit/finish is when you get them. Im pretty sure the same quality as their hoods....

The Cervini's scoops cost $130 brand new through Cervini's. I paid $100 for mine, brand new but never installed. I held them up to the car and they appear to fit perfect. I'll let you know once I get everything painted. If I had known you still had yours I would have bought them, I figured you had sold them.

Allen96Cobra said:
What did you need for the swap? Just the bezel and head unit?

Some of the paint is worn out on my bezel and on the volume control of the stock head unit. I want to replace them but I really like the stock look. This would be perfect for me. Any info is much appreciated.

Allen

You need the bezel, headunit and two wiring harnesses. I got the bezel for $20 off ebay, headunit $125 from someone on here, and the wiring harnesses cost me around $30 shipped. I can get you the part numbers for the harnesses if you wish. Let me know.

thepantypeeler

The World is Mine
Established Member
black98, i've hooked up a fair share of systems (headunits, speakers, subs, amps, etc.) just by instructions and commonsense, is it too much harder then that?

CY98Cobra

Established Member
thepantypeeler said:
black98, i've hooked up a fair share of systems (headunits, speakers, subs, amps, etc.) just by instructions and commonsense, is it too much harder then that?

If you buy the wiring harness adapters it is a breeze. All you have to do is splice the wires together. I don't think you could do it without them because you need the piece that plugs into the back of the radio.

I had never done any stereo swap (but have done plenty of wiring) and I found it very easy.

svtmustang04 said:
nice! is the new head unit a direct fit to our stock dashes?

It is close but not exactly. If you look at the picture below it shows what you need to do to make it fit.
radioduringshow.JPG

The yellow circles are two plastic tabs that the stock trim bezel bolts to (already removed in this pic). These need to be cut out in order for the radio and bezel to slide in. The big long circle at the top also needed to be removed to allow clearance.

Removing these parts doesn't have any effect on the stability of the stock stereo setup. I put the stock setup back in after I had done the cutting and didn't notice any change. So you can always go back to stock if you want.

If anyone had any more questions let me know.

Allen96Cobra

Established Member
Woburn, MA - Currently Deployed to Kuwait
Black98COBRA said:
You need the bezel, headunit and two wiring harnesses. I got the bezel for $20 off ebay, headunit $125 from someone on here, and the wiring harnesses cost me around $30 shipped. I can get you the part numbers for the harnesses if you wish. Let me know.
If it's not too much trouble part #'s would be great for the wiring harness and bezel since I'll buy those new. I won't need one for the CD changer since there is no way I'm paying the new price on it.

Allen

CY98Cobra

Established Member
They are metra harnesses part numbers 71-1771 and 70-5511. I ordered them from here www.parts-express.com. They ship very quickly.

On of those harnesses plugs into your stock harness and the other plugs into your radio. Wiring is as simple as matching the colored wires.

Last edited:

CY98Cobra

Established Member
What left over switches? The bezel did not come with any of the factory Ford switches if that's what you mean. I plan on putting my toggle switches along the bottom, mounted in the pieces I made to fill the hole left by the factory switches. I may do something different though, not sure yet.

2L8IWON

"I'm on the Mutha Fugger"
Established Member
Black98COBRA said:
It does have that feature. What exactly does it do? I haven't played with it much.

Some radio staions put out differant textual messages. The best ones are that they actually scroll the name of the song and artist that are on the radio. It really helps you to remember who sings what song or what songs you want to down load when you get home ;-)

In my area we have 2 stations that just broadcast the station name and 3 that scroll artist name and songs. It's a cool added feature.

PS Looking at your picks, do I notice the MGW Ltd shifter handle on your tranny?

CY98Cobra

Established Member
Not the MGW shifter handle, the MGW shifter:)

After you posted the first time I went and turned the RDS on. KY must suck, we have 2 stations that display their name and the rest don't have anything. No artist or song title:(

MidNight Snake

Established Member
Black98COBRA said:
What left over switches? The bezel did not come with any of the factory Ford switches if that's what you mean. I plan on putting my toggle switches along the bottom, mounted in the pieces I made to fill the hole left by the factory switches. I may do something different though, not sure yet.

I thought u used the factory 99+ bezel that has the three switches underneath.

Users who are viewing this thread