Pinion shaft lock bolt SNAPPED!

MAXX RS4

Established Member
I'm replacing my driver's side axle and now I've come across a problem. I opened up the diff housing and all that and I got to the bolt that holds the pinion shaft from sliding out of the differential. I removed the bolt easily and then I notice only about 1/3 of the bolt came out. Half the of the threaded part is still in the diff housing and the rest is in the shaft. I can't remove the axle without first getting this shaft out to remove the c-lock!

Is this situation even possible to have fixed or is my entire rearend going to have to be removed and have it machined out??

Nothing goes easy with this car.

Last edited:

MAXX RS4

Established Member
I took pictures to help explain the situation, I'll post them up later tonight when I get a chance.

EDIT:
Here are pics to show how much of the bolt came out.
You can see a score line in one picture where the bolt remains inside. The other picture shows the actualy bolt and its lined up against where it broke inside the diff casing.
rear2.gif

rear3.gif

Last edited:

Diabolic

Established Member
this happened to my Lightning when I swapped the rearend. I had to grind the end off the shaft to expose the entire part that was snapped off inside. It allowed me to just push the pin out w/o removing the bolt. Then w/ the pin (shaft) whatever, out of the way I got the rest of the broken bolt out. Hope this helps man.

MAXX RS4

Established Member
Diabolic said:
this happened to my Lightning when I swapped the rearend. I had to grind the end off the shaft to expose the entire part that was snapped off inside. It allowed me to just push the pin out w/o removing the bolt. Then w/ the pin (shaft) whatever, out of the way I got the rest of the broken bolt out. Hope this helps man.

How did you manage to get the rest of the bolt out and what did you use to grind away at the shaft? This has crossed my mind but I wasn't really sure if I'd be able to get the bolt out afterwards..

Diabolic

Established Member
It's been a long time , but I used an air dremmel and then when I ground away the metal from the bolt I pushed the pin on out. I think I grabbed the remainder of the bolt w' pliars and turned it out. Took a couple hrs of grinding but it worked just fine.

Chrome98Cobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Does anyone know how to fix this problem, this just happened to my brother on his 92 LX :nonono:

Chrome98Cobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Im not 100% sure I know were you used the grinder, I think I know but id rather be sure before I take a grinder to the rearend :shrug:

Diabolic

Established Member
In the pic above you can se the shaft head. Looks like a nickle. Grind away that shaft end until you expose the bolt thats inside. This way you can push the pin out and then have room to remove the bolt.

Chrome98Cobra

Established Member
Premium Member
alright thanks, I dont think the grinder I have would work on that. What does the one you used look like

MAXX RS4

Established Member
Chrome98Cobra said:
alright thanks, I dont think the grinder I have would work on that. What does the one you used look like
You won't be using any stone grinders.. You'd need like 20 of the best you could find..

I don't know what would be used though..

MAXX RS4

Established Member
Chrome98Cobra said:
Does the snapped bolt just push against the pinion shaft, or does it thread into it?

It just slides in..
Here's a pic snagged from ebay. The bolt pictured is the bolt that holds the shaft in.

f6_1.JPG

LILBLKSNAKE

Village Idiot
Established Member
This bolt snaps all the time. my buddy at Stoneham Ford said that Ford actually has a special tool to extract the broken piece.
It is not that difficult to get the piece out, here is a quote from NEBOC.org...

e. all of the above. The bolt broke perfect...no edges. So I used a drill bit to make a mark, and then used the screw driver to work it back out. and finally a magnet to grab it the last 1/4 inch. So thank you to everyone that helped me out. Hopefully I didnt fudge up the threads.

Here is a writeup of the same dilemna from NEBOC.org...
http://www.muscle-mustangs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5584&page=2&highlight=stoneham+ford

MAXX RS4

Established Member
So, he used a drill bit to make like a center punch, then he used the screw extractor, then the magnet?

That's going to be what I'm gonna do. Gonno torch it up too..

Apparently, this is a SUPER common problem in 8.8 rears. I guess we don't hear much of it because many people have a fear of cracking the rear (lol), and take things like that to a shop..

You'd think ford would do something about it.. I mean, make the bolt just a tiny bit bigger, and everyone would be happy. :shrug:

Diabolic

Established Member
Yeah I used an air dremel and a metal bit used for porting cyl heads. I tried to drill it too but that bolt is hard as hell and there was no room to get the drill in there straight. Hope it all works out for ya :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread