Dash Light Problem

crazycarlo

Established Member
I went to leave for work this morning and something didnt seem right. I then promptly noticed that even with my lights on my dash wasnt lit up. So I played with the switch for a few minutes. If I pull it out slowly they come on like normal. But within a few seconds the headlights start to flicker. And when pulled out like normal the headlights come on but the dash lights do not. Has anyone had this problem before? Im hoping that maybe its just a bad switch. I havnt driven my car since last thursday at night so I dunno how long its been like this and I havnt done anything behind the bezel in months it just happened. Please Help.

Rob95

Established Member
I had the same problem and got a replacement switch from Auto zone for 20 or 30 bucks. The auto zone switch only lasted 9 months before the same problem came back. When you replace the switch look to see if the connector is melted or starting to melt. There is a post on this or The Corral forum that discusses this in depth. My problems were preceded by a burning plastic smell shortly after my headlights would either flicker or not turn on.

Good Luck.

Rob

crazycarlo

Established Member
Thanks Guys Im going to take it apart and look pretty soon. Hopefully the connector isnt melted. If so Ill just do some wire repair haha.

crazycarlo

Established Member
After doing some reaearch online I found that the parts companies actually call the switch that you use for the blinkers the "dimmer" switch and the one you turn the light on and off with the "headlight" switch. Now I remember in my 5.0 that the dimmer is the one that caused the problems.

Do you guys think its the switch you turn them on with or the "dimmer" or bliner switch causing the problem?

Rob95 which switch did you replace?

p.s. FYI eventhough my headlights work the tail lights do not work either :(

Rob95

Established Member
My 95 Cobra uses one combination switch that controls the lights and the dimmer. When the headlights worked and the dash lights were dead the tail light were dead also. Replacing the 1 switch cured all problems. I did notice that my connector was slightly melted. This is due to the design of the headlight circuit. The switch handles high current so apparently the connector melts should the switch itself have a problem

Rob

ARdoller

Established Member
stupid question, but did you make sure the switch was turned completely counter-clockwise? the more you turn it clockwise, the dimmer the dash lights get.

as for flickering headlights, it could also be faulty grounding, a lot of times due to a ground wire on the car's chassis being insulated by paint.

SoldierSnake

Like a kid again.
Established Member
yo Carlo
I had a similar issue when i was in college several years ago with an old 88 bronco 2. It turned out to be the dimmer switch which was actually the turn signal switch and not headlight switch. I made the same mistake and bought the headlight switch because it only made sense. But I was wrong. It was the dimmer or turn signal switch. I remember that my headlights started to flicker and then eventually went out completely. Good thing i was going to a tech school, i took it in to them and they told me what to buy (although I first bought the wrong switch) and fixed it for me. GL bro!

crazycarlo

Established Member
AR- yes I checked to make sure the switch was turned. Since none of my dash lights not even my boost guage lights up. And my radio and cd player (both stock) The display light is on but the lights for the buttons doesnt work and my tail lights work. However brake lights do.

Colby yeah I was looking online at the diff switches. I may have to get my haynes manual from my buddies house and check it just to make sure.

Id imagine since the headlight knob actually turns the headlights on still and turing it still makes the dome light go on that it is good. But the turn signal switch still operates the blinkers and windshield washers fine so Im confused. I may take it to work tom and tear it aprt to look at the connectors.

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
It's the headlight switch. For some reason the dash and tail lights are on the same circuit or something. Same thing happened to my Explorer.

Whether the switch is turned cw or ccw wouldn't matter if the tails don't work either.

Try this...
Go outside and S-L-O-W-L-Y pull the switch out. You will most likely see your dash lights flash on for a second. Push the switch back in SLOWLY til you see the dash lights again. You'll find the sweet spot. You get the hang of it real quick, trust me. haha

SoldierSnake

Like a kid again.
Established Member
Carlo- I know, I was confused as shit when it happened to me. But I just figured the guys at school knew more than me and replaced the dimmer switch and they were right!

crazycarlo

Established Member
basass- yeah i tried the sweet spot thing. However after being in the "sweespot" for a sec my headlights will start to flicker and go out. But ur right I can pull it out slowly and the dash lights come on. But if i pull it out all the way they no workie..lol.

Rob95

Established Member
Its the switch thats faulty. Mine is acting up again ( poor quality sw from the parts store) if I use the old shoe maker trick and hit the top of the dash right above the switch my lights will work. My son laughs at me and says thats how I fix everything.

Rob

crazycarlo

Established Member
fixed it. like the other thread mine was the number 5 fuse under the ash. The main light fuse. However I had already bought a headlight switch. Oh well Ill take it back :) Thanks for the help guys.

Rob95

Established Member
fixed it. like the other thread mine was the number 5 fuse under the ash. The main light fuse. However I had already bought a headlight switch. Oh well Ill take it back :) Thanks for the help guys.

Umm Your welcome I think. I'm surprised that a fuse corrected this when your descriptions of the problem indicated a mechanical switch problem. But since its fixed then congrats.

Rob

Users who are viewing this thread