This can't be good

oldiron

Established Member
Started the '97 cobra this morning and heard a swishing sound so shut it off and lifted the hood. Most of the steering fluid is on the ground. It's coming from what looks like an overflow fitting on the end of the rack right near the rubber boot. If I move the boot fluid runs out the fitting. Any ideas?
Greg

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
I really doubt it is just a teflon power steering o-ring....more likely you blew out a rack seal. Now before you panic....call your Ford dealer and price a reman Ford rack.... I don't think the pricing is that high and the quality compared w/ after market rebuilt, as opposed to reman, is pretty reasonable.
Jim

BlackCobra96

I had a metal tube for my power steering give way. The dealer was like "What?" when we asked for the part, because it's so rare that it would fail. It might not be the pump or the seals at all.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
That is rare!......But you are in a high salt area.....even if you don't drive it in the winter every time it rains for the first few months of spring all that salt on the road and sides gets activated........grrrrrrrr!
By the way oldiron very nice stable! Is your cj a drag pack car w/ oil cooler?
either way, It's a bitchin bad ass ride
The engine I ran in my old truck was out of a totaled out 69 mach 1 drag pack car....God I loved that low end torque, just brutal!!!

Last edited:

oldiron

Established Member
Not a scj drag pak. But the p.o. did put the 3.91:1 gears in and with 561 rwtq it's brutal to say the least. Lots faster than the '97 cobra (well 0-120 anyway)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread