Code P1443: Evaporative Emission Control r

luke87gt

Established Member
Hi folks, while driving into work today, I noticed the check engine light came on and after doing a code scan, I discovered the following code:

P1443: Evaporative Emission Control System - Vacuum System - Purge Control Solenoid or Purge Control Valve fault

I verified that the gas cap is tight and I traced the vacuum lines from the throttle bod to the purge control valve/sensor and followed it to the purge control solenoid. I don't see any signs of tubbing damage of any kind.

After I get a chance to inspect the tubing from the gas tank to the evaporative cannister, I plan to start off with replacing the purge control valve/sensor followed by the purge control solenoid.

Has anyone had this problem before? I have heard this is a particular tough one to track down because so many different things can set off the code. Gas cap, broken vacuum lines, bad evaporative cannister, bad purge sensor, bad purge solenoid, etc.

I also did a bit of research and found the following part#s

Purge Flow Sensor Part # F57Z-14A606-BA
Purge Flow Cannister/Solenoid Part # E4ZF-9C915-AA

Can anyone confirm that those are correct for a 96 Cobra?

Thanks!
Luke

aloo1

Established Member
i get the code too but only every once in a while. when i did my IMRC deletes i got it alot right after but it's been a lil while and haven't gotten it back yet?? I'm pretty sure this is one of the most common codes thrown. Good luck and let us know how it goes.
thanks,
alan

luke87gt

Established Member
Ryan, great write up.
I will use it in my diagnosis and report back.

Now on to some questions:

If the purge valve/solenoid is used to purge gas tank fumes into the motor (from the canister), can anyone tell me why a loose gas cap could throw this P1443 code? A loose gas cap will cause the gas tank to always be vented and have the canister not be pressurized.

I guess what I am asking is, how does the purge sensor work exactly regarding pressure?

If the solenoid can't open, I assume it throws a code? If the pressure never reaches some window, I assume it throws a code?

Can anyone shed more light on exactly what the criteria are for the purge sensor to throw a code?
Thanks
Luke

Sanchez209

Established Member
Okay what solonoid are you guys talking about? I have the same problem and it comes on and off and it's pissing me off. So what solonoid are you guys talking about and where is it located?

SNAKEYE

Established Member
WOW this thread is just over four years old! Some of us are still here though.

I don't have a picture handy, but its in the engine compartment, mounted near the top edge of the firewall, with a hose in and out, and a pair of wires plugged into it.

If you need a picture I can take one.

PS - I found a picture. I'll put it up after I have my dinner. Gotta go!

I'm back, and here's the picture:
2wnqvky.jpg

Also it's on the passenger side of the engine compartment, just to the rear of the fuel pressure regulator. That's it in the middle of the picture between my fingers, with the red-striped hose going in and out and the electrical connector on the left. That's a strut tower brace running diagonally in the upper left corner of the picture, and a brass fitting tap in the vacuum line supplying vacuum/boost to my gauge.

Last edited:

Sanchez209

Established Member
Found it! Thanks man took me a while but found it now I think I'm going to replace it hopefully they have it in eBay.

Noreast

Established Member
Found it! Thanks man took me a while but found it now I think I'm going to replace it hopefully they have it in eBay.

Get it from advanced auto (BWD) part is borg warner and its the exact same part as ford. Literally has a ford stamp on it lol

SNAKEYE

Established Member
Advanced Auto has brick-and-mortar stores. To borrow an old phrase "Let your fingers do the walking!", a.k.a. search for them on-line. Might even be a store near you. They may even have the part in-stock! Or can order it into the store for you.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread