The T-45 Source Review and pro-motion clutch

SVT CAMR

Established Member
The story goes this guy Zak who races NMRA Mod-Motor was able to make a t-45 live for at least 1 whole season beating the living snot out of a T-45 transmission. No it was not bone stock. He started a Company called The T-45 Source. can be found at The T45 Source - Proven, reliable T45 Transmissions

I just had my TKO fully rebuilt that I have had for 6 years along with a new clutch. I decided to sell everything for a steal. In exchange I was able to buy this street/strip T-45 unit from the t-45 source.

Here is what it comes with.

We currently have our Street-Strip transmissions being installed in two high horsepower applications to prove that this transmission can live at insane power levels. Stay tuned to find out how our transmissions hold up to 500+ HP and 700+ HP!

For more aggressive street stangs that hit the strip. Includes:

The Slammer Billet 3-4 Shift Fork
The T45 Source's proprietary QuickShift upgrades < for a limited time we are giving away our QuickShift upgrades for free ACT NOW!
Carbon Fiber lined Synchronizers
New Bearings
Billet Steel Synchro inserts
Brass shift fork pads
Optional: 26 spline heat treated input shaft
Powershift at the track and smooth downshifts on the street.

Ok I got the 26 spline Street/Strip version because I race on slicks.

I finished the install 100% today 6/14/11. I filled the transmission with Motorcraft Mercon V. it took about 3.5 Quarts. I also installed a new fidanza Flywheel, Promotion Pressure Plate 10.5" (RED) along with the 10.5" Kustom D/P Disc.(AKA Mcleod 800 Series Disc) Note: I do not like the Promotion Throw Out bearings. So I ordered all the necessary bolts for the FW, PP, along with a pilot bearing, T/O Bearing and clutch pivot ball and Alum. FW from D&D Performance. I also ordered a new clutch fork from Summit racing equipment. I already had an adjustable cable, Fire wall adjuster and quick release quadrant from Pro-Motion. The kirban Shifter was bought locally.

Let me say this after just driving 4 miles total today in the beast. The T-45 Source transmission is as smooth as glass. It is also quiet. I also want to comment on the clutch parts I mentioned above. They are also working flawlessly. The clutch engagement is smooth with no sign what so ever of chatter.

Right now I'm taking it easy but did get on it a little and the shifts were smooth. I will report back after my next track event but for now out of 5 stars I give the trans and clutch components mentioned above 5 Stars.:thumbsup:

EDIT: 10/3/13 Use Valvoline merc/dex 3 ATF. It is much better than the motorcraft 5 ATF

Here are some pics of everything.
P6030142.jpg

P6030118.jpg

P6030123.jpg

P6030153.jpg

P6030162.jpg

P6030167.jpg

P6030161.jpg

P6030176.jpg

P6030179.jpg

P6030186.jpg

40088615_3.jpg

This is the shifter I like to use. It is a Kirban Qwik 5 speed shifter. Made In the USA! Thank You Dale.
P4190055.jpg

Last edited:

poisonpony96

Established Member
Looks and sounds good. I hate driving my car because it shakes off the line most of the time. Unless come off quick.

dutch

LOL Europe
Established Member
Sounds awesome, good to hear succes stories! I'm gonna be rude here though; how much did the T45 set you back?

Tabres

Not without incident
Established Member
Looks nice! I'm interested to see how it holds up!

It's kind of crazy how much I'm seeing posts about this guy/company lately. Seems like they completely came out of the wood work with a great product.

goat-ee

Established Member
I also (by SVT CAMR's recommendation) bought the Promotion clutch and pressure plate. Basically the same thing as his review is about here, except mine is the 11" 26 spline and going in front of a T-56.

I just got the 500 miles break-in on it and I can say without a doubt the driveability is BETTER than stock!! Clutch pedal pressure is very light and the feel is great. As I have been waiting to get the break-in period done before really hammering it hard. But I have had a couple fairly hard street runs (street tires) and love the smooth engagement and it grabs great, without being grabby if that make any sense?!?!

This may sound lame to the hardcore drag guys, but I like that I can go through a McDonalds drive-thru without looking like a jackass, like I did with the Spec Stage 3 I replaced. It was like an on-off switch, where as this one engages like butter with almost zero chatter!!!

epracmetcon

Established Member
This may sound lame to the hardcore drag guys, but I like that I can go through a McDonalds drive-thru without looking like a jackass, like I did with the Spec Stage 3 I replaced. It was like an on-off switch, where as this one engages like butter with almost zero chatter!!!

Same here, I actually bought Dan's TKO and that's the clutch that came with it. I like it so far, so much more street friendly then the ram I had in the car before.

It slipped on the dyno on spray on the initial hit, but it only had probably 50 miles on it.

SVT CAMR

Established Member
I'm glad somebody was able to use the info I gathered. I literally spent 3 full week gathering information on clutches. At the end of that long ordeal I ended up with the same clutch that I used in 2002. The only other clutch I would consider for my power level would be a stock type unit believe it or not.

Last edited:

DVJ38

One mod at a time
Established Member
Did you paint your transmission? looks like it...

Dan, I really like the sound of this clutch option. I haven't ever liked the spec 3+ unless you are really making a lot of power. The spec 2 sounds like it's even too grabby and too heavy of a pedal feel for the power rating. The centerforce dual fiction disk sounds good too though. I have an 03 cobra clutch in mine with an iron flywheel and I really like the setup. Too bad they don't make it anymore (wtf.. seriously)

I'll be getting my transmission in soon and I hope it's as smooth as I've been hearing! :rockon: I stuck with the 10 spline since I don't launch on slicks and don't make any power to speak of. :nonono: :D Some day though :bored:

WutApex

Wut Apex!?!
Established Member
These seem to be more for the strip...... Just wondering, is there anything different geared more for road racing (OT) or is the above listed a good set-up.

SVT CAMR

Established Member

It's not lame it is actually a beautiful thing.:thumbsup:

Iso

Sounds fast
Established Member
He should start rebuilding mine either this week or the beginning of next. I'm glad to hear your feedback on it, can't wait to get mine back now. Let us know how it works when you get to the track!

98 N/A 4V

Established Member
Looks nice! I'm interested to see how it holds up!

It's kind of crazy how much I'm seeing posts about this guy/company lately. Seems like they completely came out of the wood work with a great product.

Zak has been in the mod motor game for a long time. One of the originals from corral when there was about 7 or 8 guys gunning it out trying to be the fastest n/a bolt-on 4v. Danny (the OP) was one of the originals too. I got into the race at the tail end (around late 00' just before the 03/04's came out). Zak has been racing in MM for probably 10yrs or so with probably 8 or more years with a T45. He's broke his fair share of them I'm sure.

Zak is not looking to retire or anything. He figures if what he did makes a T45 last might as well make a couple of bucks from it. I missed him by about 3 months when I first bought my pro mo T45 (RIP). Had I known he was doing T45's I would have never called Walt.

And no I'm not getting paid anything to say this. lol.

-Mark

Oh and Danny.......GAUCHO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :rockon: LOL.

Last edited:

SVT CAMR

Established Member
Zak is not looking to retire or anything. He figures if what he did makes a T45 last might as well make a couple of bucks from it. I missed him by about 3 months when I first bought my pro mo T45 (RIP). Had I known he was doing T45's I would have never called Walt.

And no I'm not getting paid anything to say this. lol.
LOL.

I wish I knew about the t45 source last September 2010 I would have never rebuilt the TKO and save so much money.

Mark: thats how they roll on the cul-du-sac. Did you see the wipe out at the end? Ha!

Last edited:

J.Rovirosa

Established Member
Nice to see a T45-based HD option for those of us not wanting to deal with a conversion to something else. I'll be hitting these guys up once I get around to swapping the clutch.

Users who are viewing this thread