Need some motivation to finish the build! 97 turbo cobra

badblacklx

Established Member
Hi guys I threw around the idea of selling this setup but I have to stick it out and finish the build and see what it will make. I am open to any suggestions/complaints/questions about setup!
Here is a rundown of setup:
Motor: Built By McMurtry Racing Engines ( Motor has 1800 miles and made 775 on pump with no meth with novi 2k)
Teksid block 5.0L stroker
MMR 900 rotating assembly ( forged crank, eagle rods, and -17 cp pistons )
ARP 2000 rod bolts
ARP main studs
ARP head studs
Stage 3 Super Charged 4v Comp cams
Crower Springs and retainers
Comp Cams adjustable cam gears
Billet timing gear
Melling Oil pump
MMR 7qt Oil Pan
04 cobra 4v ported heads
97 timing cover
01 cobra intake ( ported short runner by Al Pappito. )
Accufab big oval throttle body
Coolant crossover
Prothane motor mounts
Ford 80# injectors
Aeromotive fuel rails
ATI Super Balancer

Fuel: 10an from tank to rails, fuel lab 1200hp pump, sumped tank(by me)
80lb inj

Power adder: mmr hotside, Billet wheel/bb/watercooled Precision 76gts, treadstone trv 259,3" coldside, hpx maf

Tranny: tko 600,spec 3+

Rear: 3.27s,built

Suspension: tubular front/coilovers, rear baseline uppers, racecraft lowers

All the pics i have atmwill be getting serious updates this weekend as I really want to get motivated.
1b8ed8c5.jpg

1ec699f8.jpg

d196bd86.jpg

ab00c71a.jpg

IMG_0032.jpg

IMG_0033.jpg

IMG_0044.jpg

IMG_0046.jpg

Lazered98

PAH!
Established Member
The build looks great Cody! I want to see this thing run and put the whoopin on some ls boys! The only thing I would change would be the cams. I would put 96-98 cams in it or custom grind cams if you want to go all out.

badblacklx

Established Member
The build looks great Cody! I want to see this thing run and put the whoopin on some ls boys! The only thing I would change would be the cams. I would put 96-98 cams in it or custom grind cams if you want to go all out.

I totally agree they will eventually go away for some custom grind cams, but for now im gonna see what can be done with them.

encasedmetal

WHINO!
Established Member
the cams you chose are going to sorely dissappoint you in the HP department- why even dick with them when you know they aren't going to work very well. already had them I would guess- not ribbing you, just know you're going to be going WTF? when you dyno

badblacklx

Established Member
the cams you chose are going to sorely dissappoint you in the HP department- why even dick with them when you know they aren't going to work very well. already had them I would guess- not ribbing you, just know you're going to be going WTF? when you dyno

Engine already had them installed so y not atleast give them a go no biggie.

Wynn

Wants 11's
Established Member
Dont look like theres much left to do. Hook up a few lines, a couple connectors, and some pipes then go racin'!

DVJ38

One mod at a time
Established Member
Ya man, looks like you just need to put it all together! Let me know how the MMR hotside all fits together inside the car, as in any issues etc. Also how much room will be between the turbo and radiator fan shroud? What radiator? Thanks! Looks like it'll be fun!

badblacklx

Established Member
Ya man, looks like you just need to put it all together! Let me know how the MMR hotside all fits together inside the car, as in any issues etc. Also how much room will be between the turbo and radiator fan shroud? What radiator? Thanks! Looks like it'll be fun!

I have a 170* thermostat and stock rad( I HOPE IT DOESNT OVERHEAT!!!) have to trim fan shroud( at least I think i can trim it enough to fit. I still have to weld in sump and get fuel system ran, oil lines made up for turbo,water lines, etc. The mmr hotside hit water pump pulley initially and i had to cut and weld in patches where i bent it and had to move some coolant lines around.

badblacklx

Established Member
Well didnt get alot done and it is pouring down outside so no pics but I did get fan to clear barely after some major mods to the shroud. Just ordered piping kit and this should be on the way in the mourning!!
img-485-0-large.jpg

Edit: It is treadstone tr2509 1300hp intercooler
Description: 1950 cfm flow,Overall Size 26.50" X 15.00" X 3.50

Last edited:

badblacklx

Established Member
Update: I got almost all lines made up. Got fuel line ran,turbo drain, turbo feed, water supply out of side of block for turbo. Also mocked up last piece of coldside I have to weld up so I can finish that up. Painted the alternator and coolant crossover low gloss black and it looks way better! Also going to paint housing on turbo and water pump pulley. Here are a some pictures (I got a little pic happy lol)
I know engine bay is dirty it will get a mega organizing and cleaning before it is tuned.
DSC02764.jpg

DSC02765.jpg

DSC02766.jpg

DSC02767.jpg

DSC02768.jpg

Had to add 2.5" in this pipe for coldside to met up properly.
DSC02769.jpg

Bracket I made for intercooler that I am going to have to mod slightly
DSC02770.jpg

Driver side head tapped for turbo water supply, I welded 6 an bung in crossover to return the coolant right before it passes through the rad.
DSC02771.jpg

This is one problem I ran in to that is hard to get a good pic it is the lower rad hose how close it is to flex joint so I wraped hose in heat tape and I am going to add heat wrap on joint for even more radiant heat protection.
DSC02772.jpg

Fan shroud clearanced lol
DSC02775.jpg

Intake pipe out of tb is 4" and is reduced to 3" the 4" pipe will allow the pmas hpx maf to read more airflow without mafia
DSC02776.jpg

Pics of stainless sump
DSC02779.jpg
\

Comments suggestions welcome!

Turbo98

FR500TT
Established Member
Wow, nice build! With a parts list like that and your ability to weld like that, I don't know what more motivation you need, lol. Seriously though.... I can bet mine took longer than yours and I wanted to give up many times. You've gotten this far so just plug away and let's see what this thing can do! Again, looking great.

badblacklx

Established Member
Quick cell pic of turbo bracket I fabbed up will have alot more pics this weekend as I hope to make alot more progress! Also this is just tacked I am going to tig it together tomorrow.
IMG_0073.jpg

badblacklx

Established Member
Got tank in and fuel pump mounted. Got to clean up plastic around sump some more. Also decided to get a new radiator and need a few more things from summit ti button up all an lines.

Pic of finished up turbo bracket:
DSC02787.jpg

DSC02786.jpg

Bov flange welded in coldside:
DSC02792.jpg

Sump:
DSC02788.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread