Targ top cobra?

should i customize the cobra with a targa top?

• go for it

Votes: 20 51.3%
  • forget about it

Votes: 19 48.7%

• Total voters

EvilSpeed

Established Member
www.Jmsproductsinc.com
manufactures a kit to make sn95 mustangs/cobras into a targa top. I used to have a convertible and loved it but alass, some a hole cut the top and stole all my cd's over a hundered!. since i have only owned coupe mustangs, now that i have a 98 cobra with all the bolt on's, in my opinion a pretty smooth ride. i was curious what you guys thought about applying this kit and feelin the air rush by over my head again? So far they only have done this to a 99+ mustang but i think it would look way better on the 94-98 mustangs because of the curves and lack of boxy frame.
p.s. my cobra in laser red with polished r's and black leather corbeau trs seats with a rear delete.

what do you guys think, good idea or just ruining my ride???

mambaman

Established Member
i would really like to see it on an SN-95. the funny thing is, i was just talking to someone this weekend about how cool it would be to have a targa top. do they have any idea as to price?

NITMARE

Established Member
Probably fine so long as you never make the car have any serious power. I mean stangs are unibodies and I don't think it's a good idea at all to take a huge chunk out of the roof. For one if you ever go to the track it will flex like crazy without a cage (and yes worse than a vert) verts are designed all around to not have a roof so they are stronger from the get go. I am willing to bet in a wreck that thing would about folds in half. You would at the very minimum want sub frame connectors and I would not be suprised if you started getting some new squeaks and rattles with all the roof support gone

Dano

"Book 'em Dano"
Established Member
Basic cost start at around $950 ...
I think it looks pretty cool, but I'd be a little hesitant to tackle that job myself.

RyClef331

Established Member
I'd go for it. They explain that it really doesn't comprimise too much structural integrity but there is some. I believe they include subframes with the kit if i'm not mistaken. I haven't checked their sight in awhile though. I wrote to them about making a 3.5-4" Cowl hood that terminates at the windshield with a forward hinge so it flips forward. Something i thought would look killer and be different and still tolerable day to day. I say try the targa top though def.

Booyah

Cantankerously Blunt
Established Member
They may say it doesn't cost the Mustang to much integrity but I beg to differ. That's one of the reason's Ford hasn't offered even a flipup sunroof in a Mustang in quite awhile, the roof is a key component for the unibody rigidity. A simple pair of SFC aren't going to do the job.

However, I do think it looks damn nice but still wouldn't do it because of the integrity of the frame.

monkeyspunk79

A Van Down by the River.
Established Member
Uh....no. Look at it. It looks like what it is: A butchered Mustang.

Want a Targa? Buy a Porsche. Sorry for the attitude, but that just KILLS the car. Ever put a real motor behind a sunroof Fox or older T-Top car? It gets torn apart. No structural integrity whatsoever witout a roof.

postin the midnight oil..
Established Member
Man I love my T tops......I wouldn't do it to a car that was not meant to have it though..

COBRASVT

Established Member
I don't like Targa's personally, but sounds like it would look cool and would be better than nothing at all.

Check this photoshop out...:D

05_stang.jpg

postin the midnight oil..
Established Member
Originally posted by monkeyspunk79
Uh....no. Look at it. It looks like what it is: A butchered Mustang.

Want a Targa? Buy a Porsche. Sorry for the attitude, but that just KILLS the car. Ever put a real motor behind a sunroof Fox or older T-Top car? It gets torn apart. No structural integrity whatsoever witout a roof.

Mine still holding up fine....I'll admit it's got as much in suspension as in motor...It's not a MONSTER motor,but it's at least a 430hp. engine.....

monkeyspunk79

A Van Down by the River.
Established Member
28- If your Stang has a good set of SFC's...I'm sure you're fine. I've just seen 2 close friends basically tear their older Sunroof cars up. All motor...no suspension or stiffening on them. (Duh). The A-pillars eventually crack and we all know the drill. Did the T-Top cars come with any bracing underneath or factory SFC's?

Your 86 looks like its been VERY nicely done, and taken care of.:thumbsup:

Last edited:

EvilSpeed

Established Member
i was thinkin that a kenny brown street cage and xtreme matrix sub system would do the trick even on a higher horsepower car, especially if it were matched up with shock tower brace and tourque arm/panhard bar. the ? is. how much power could it handle?

CY98Cobra

Established Member
i tried from the site that hosts my pics and it will never show the pic. i don't know. i used the one from your site and it worked perfect, just 2 big.

Users who are viewing this thread