Slow winter project

00_silvergt

Established Member
I bought a 97 cobra for my birthday almost 2 years ago. I figured 4v was a good platform but then i started reading how the b heads suck compared to c heads. So now im wanting to swap heads. Originally i wanted to get a supercharger, but im starting to realize its not going to happen. There have been different occasions to where i had the money to do it but i cant pull the trigger. I saved up $6,000 and instead of putting into the car i paid it as extra on my mortgage. Its not what i wanted but was the smarter thing to do. So now I would like to get down to 12.xx in the 1/4 and stay N/A. Im not sure what the car runs now because the clutch started slipping and never made it to the track. So ill never find out.

the mods i have now
c&l cai
underdrive crank pulley
4.10 gears
short shifter
bbk o/r h pipe
flowmaster mufflers
upper/lower rear control arms
shortrunner intake
imrc deletes(didnt get tuned)

i have purchased 03 cobra heads that need some work done to them. I will be using and adapter to use the c lower intake to the b upper intake so that everything looks stock. The b cams will be used on the c heads. Obviously the car will need tuned. And i plan on getting drag radials. I would like the mach 1 intake made into a shortrunner but i dont think i can afford it at this time. This will be a slow project because work is slow for me(no overtime during winter) and i have 4 kids. Will i meet my goal or need more mods?

Foxkid87

Established Member
Depends on your driving skill and how well the car actually runs. I would venture to say with a tune it would be close.

98$vt

i love white girls
Established Member
Look in the trap and e/t sticky thread up top. NVRL8TE ran a 13.1 in a basically stock car with good tires so I think 12.XX isn't crazy getting a good 60ft, shifts on point, good tires and a driver mod

Mystic-SVT

snuggle fest, mmmmm!
Established Member
You should be able to crack into the 12's with the current mods you have now, launch hard and get a tune.

My fastest time in my car has been a 13.0 @ 108mph and the car is a pig. With me in it the car weighed 37XX lbs. I have 4.10s, na svt shortrunner, lt's, UD pulleys, JLT, IMRC deletes, and alum driveshaft. Car has an IRS under it so its a little heavier than SRA cars. I ran that with no weight reduction besides just removing the spare tire and jack.

00_silvergt

Established Member
If i should be able to crack 12s now, then ill be happier once i get the c heads. Im set on swapping heads, i got a good deal on the heads. They are ported and have a 3 angle valve job. I have an 03 mach 1 intake manifold. I need to modify the coolant crossover and the fuel rail. I just want a better platform, c heads will be better in the long run. I also have an 03 cobra timing cover ill be using in case i do supercharge down the road. I wanted an 03/04 mach but couldn't get financed so i settled for a 97 cobra.

00_silvergt

Established Member
To avoid ruining a perfectly good 96-98 fuel rail, i would like to know where people have cut the tabs off on it for the new intake. Is that the correct place?
intake1.jpg

00_silvergt

Established Member
Well i worked on it a bit last night. I can't believe im doing this to a perfectly running car
2012-12-11091506.jpg

Last edited:

NVRL8TE

Death or Glory
Established Member
Good progress.

But all the posts here have you covered.

Should be a 12 second, B headed car easy with the mods you have.

00_silvergt

Established Member
I just like the fact that with a c head swap the car will always be faster than what it would have been with b heads. The c heads i have are ported and have a 3 angle valve job. And tax time is coming up maybe ill do cams while its apart

Users who are viewing this thread