500 HP, will I even need rear tires larger than 275's ???

digital911

Established Member
I am about to install my 2.8" pulley and ported blower, to bring the car up to approx. 500 hp from around 410. My current stock goodyears are shot on the rear. I want to put new tires, do I even need to increase from 275 size??

Shadow Grey 03

Established Member
I am about to install my 2.8" pulley and ported blower, to bring the car up to approx. 500 hp from around 410. My current stock goodyears are shot on the rear. I want to put new tires, do I even need to increase from 275 size??

No, just get some good drag radials in that size and you will be alright.

digital911

Established Member
Actually it's a daily driver so I don't want a DR, with that said do you think an NT05 would be fine in a 275 size?
I have to say with the current power level, the wheel hop is horrible in 1st and 2nd, I can't imagine how bad it will be with 80 more hp.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
In that case I would have to say good luck with traction, lol. With just a 2.8 upper on mine with nitto 275/40/18's I was fighting traction and wheelhop from 1st to 2nd gear. Then again they were shot and the lack of sidewall with 18's probably didn't help.

I would say if not running a drag radial, that NT05 is probably your best bet. And like you said wheelhop is going to be the worst thing to deal with. Sticky tires and a good suspension is your best bet.

Last edited:

Tractionless1

Established Member
No, just get some good drag radials in that size and you will be alright.

Huh. I have R888's in 305, cold weather I spin 2nd to redline at 519/567.

You don't ever need to run 275 and you can run smaller. Think 15x8 MT Drags at super low psi. If you would like to run a "normal" street wheel tire combo 275 prob. isn't going to do it.

Kwik03DSG

Established Member
Huh. I have R888's in 305, cold weather I spin 2nd to redline at 519/567.

You don't ever need to run 275 and you can run smaller. Think 15x8 MT Drags at super low psi. If you would like to run a "normal" street wheel tire combo 275 prob. isn't going to do it.

what he said. I have a buddy running 11.1's in a ported blower solid axle car. using 255 width MH roadmasters if im not mistaken... still cutting 1.5-1.6 60's so they hook.

as far as street goes, im at 480rwhp with full bolt ons and i spin all of 1st with 315/35 NT555R's on AFS wheels... if youre interestd in street duty tires, youre gonna have to increase the width, or run on 275 MT ET Streets all day...

B7BlownSnake

Established Member
You had better do some IRS work, either MM Race or FTBR. I have MM Race and it's great, but many here have FTBR (Full Tilt Boogie Racing) and have nothing but great things to say. That will help your wheel hop issues.

However, after the IRS work, I would still go with a 10.5" wheel and 315 tires. Get as much traction as possible. :banana:

Shadow Grey 03

Established Member
Actually it's a daily driver so I don't want a DR, with that said do you think an NT05 would be fine in a 275 size?
I have to say with the current power level, the wheel hop is horrible in 1st and 2nd, I can't imagine how bad it will be with 80 more hp.

What's the point of the extra power then? It's either get a decent tire, which you can daily the Nitto 555r's, they just don't hook as well as the others, or get the Full tilt bushing kit. Or do both. I don't understand why people want to run around with useless power. It's much more fun to drive when you have traction. I'm sure someone else can suggest a decent tire that isn't a drag radial, but it won't be the best for traction. Good luck either way.

mach1033

Established Member
Toyo R-888's are good along with the RA-1's. There are an R compound tire and they work well in the rain. The wheel hop will def need to be addressed or you will posting up here how you snapped your shafts.

digital911

Established Member
What's the point of the extra power then? It's either get a decent tire, which you can daily the Nitto 555r's, they just don't hook as well as the others, or get the Full tilt bushing kit. Or do both. I don't understand why people want to run around with useless power. It's much more fun to drive when you have traction. I'm sure someone else can suggest a decent tire that isn't a drag radial, but it won't be the best for traction. Good luck either way.

Have you ever punched it in 4th gear entering the interstate? Thats why I want more power. If I can ever figure out the wheel hop and traction issues, then I will love the new power in the lower gears....

100% stock, 1st gear is useless in my car. Now with simply new plugs and CAI, and balder tires, 2nd gear is now becoming useless....
So with a soon to be turned up motor, I am really concerned about traction / hop issues.
I simply want to reasonably do what is necessary to eliminate the wheel hop and tire spin. You say use R tires, but 5 others say no on a DR due to rain. What gives?

B7BlownSnake

Established Member
Have you ever punched it in 4th gear entering the interstate? Thats why I want more power. If I can ever figure out the wheel hop and traction issues, then I will love the new power in the lower gears....

100% stock, 1st gear is useless in my car. Now with simply new plugs and CAI, and balder tires, 2nd gear is now becoming useless....
So with a soon to be turned up motor, I am really concerned about traction / hop issues.
I simply want to reasonably do what is necessary to eliminate the wheel hop and tire spin. You say use R tires, but 5 others say no on a DR due to rain. What gives?

Then you need to get an IRS bushing kit (Maximum Motorsports Race kit or Full Tilt Boogie Racing) and get 315s (I use Nitto NT05 non-DR). Easy as can be. Wheel hop issue solved. Traction issue solved. What else do you need to know?

digital911

Established Member
You had better do some IRS work, either MM Race or FTBR. I have MM Race and it's great, but many here have FTBR (Full Tilt Boogie Racing) and have nothing but great things to say. That will help your wheel hop issues.

However, after the IRS work, I would still go with a 10.5" wheel and 315 tires. Get as much traction as possible. :banana:

Yes, my mods project looks like it is quickly moving in the IRS upgrade direction.
I was looking at the maximum motorssports IRS, they have something called "the basics" for 500.00. Is that what you have?

I also looked at the FTBR, they seem to be hard core into it but if you look at their "how to" section, that looks pretty intense. There is a special tool required for practically every piece of the install. I have no I idea where I would bring my car to get this done. I was hoping to do it myself but from what I saw on FTBR that would be impossible. How did the install go for you??

digital911

Established Member
Then you need to get an IRS bushing kit (Maximum Motorsports Race kit or Full Tilt Boogie Racing) and get 315s (I use Nitto NT05 non-DR). Easy as can be. Wheel hop issue solved. Traction issue solved. What else do you need to know?

That sounds good, do you have a convertible? Thats what I got and it sounds like these are "special needs" cars and are a lot worse on the wheel hop.

Did you do your IRS upgrades your self? About how much money am I looking to get the IRS upgraded?

lowflyn

Found my 03sbvert...
Established Member
I'm right around 500. Running 295/35-18 BFG KDW2's on the rear. 1st gear takes some work but hooks about halfway through, 2nd will chirp but finally settle in, 3rd chirps and it's solid from there on.

That's also with the tires warm. Cool tires on cold concrete just give it up, you're not going to find anything that will hook.

SCMOKN

Established Member
I'm getting ready to install the FTB kit in mine. With either the MM and FT you would need special tools to do it but its doable. From all the reading I have done over the past couple weeks the full tilt is the way to go! If you get the tool from Full Tilt they refund 60 of the 70 dollars spent if you return it.

greengt88

Established Member
Did u watch the videos section on full tilts site? That should be enough for anyone to not buy MM's kit. They make nice stuff just not a good irs bushing kit. It was a decent upgrade over stock a few years back, but times change and parts improve. Your lookin atleast a $grand for the install. Don't forget u need to also do a 4wheel alignment and bumpsteer the car as well. Its exspensive but way better than a broken halfshaft, toe-link or differential coming out the back. I'm hoping to do this kit soon Myself. Trying to locate a decent place that is familiar with IRS stuff. I'm meticulous and need someone equally as anal to perform work I don't have tools for.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Price everyone's R compound DOT road race tires and buy a pair that are reasonably priced. Toyo R888s are a great tire but not a great price.

An R compound that is not a drag radial works fine on the street and in the rain.

They don't last very long but NOTHING is going last very long at this power level and above, so you might as well buy something that allows you to use your power and have some fun with it.

Rooster1969

Established Member
I'm right around 500. Running 295/35-18 BFG KDW2's on the rear. 1st gear takes some work but hooks about halfway through, 2nd will chirp but finally settle in, 3rd chirps and it's solid from there on.

That's also with the tires warm. Cool tires on cold concrete just give it up, you're not going to find anything that will hook.

Same tires. I agree, useless in the cold, rearend wanted to step out in fourth.

digital911

Established Member
Price everyone's R compound DOT road race tires and buy a pair that are reasonably priced. Toyo R888s are a great tire but not a great price.

An R compound that is not a drag radial works fine on the street and in the rain.

They don't last very long but NOTHING is going last very long at this power level and above, so you might as well buy something that allows you to use your power and have some fun with it.

Can you recommend an R compound in a 275 40 r17 other than the Toyo R888's???

04MystiCobra

Tuning L&M heart
Established Member
Street tires will not hold 500+ whp. I could dump the clutch in 3rd going 65mph and smoke the tires. 1st is a waste as well as 2nd, especially in the cold months and that was on 315 tires. Get some DRs for the summer and run reg tires for winter. I bought a second set of rear wheels just for that reason.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread