Cutting Stock Springs THE RIGHT WAY

ibitehard

snakeBITE!!
Established Member
Hello fellow Termi owners, I know there are a few threads about this already but none of them have all my answers. If you would kindly help me out, instead of being a douche about it like some of the people I've asked for help on this website, I would greatly appreciate it.

1st and foremost, why do some people remove the spring ISO's? I thought they were for stability.

LOTS of people are saying, cut from the bottom on the front springs, bottom from the rear springs, some are saying otherwise. What is the recommended way to cut these?

I am planning on purchasing wider tires next summer, 315s to be exact, with a possibility of using 1/4 spacers. I have zero clue how much I should cut the springs if I want to make this possible with the tire size. Will there be any tire rub? And what should I do about the IRS bolt? Swap it out for the shorter diameter?

I'm only 21 years old so I hope you all understand why I know so little about this. The car was purchased three years ago and I haven't done a single thing to it since, bone stock (besides the rims the previous owner put on it).

it's a 10th Anniversary Convertible. Nitto 275s w/GT rims :??: no clue in why he would switch out the 10th. ann. rims for these ugly ones, bottom line, I hate the rims, tires, and ride height this car has. Needs to be changed ASAP!

froggerlives07

Established Member
I cut my stock springs all from the bottom...basically cut the part of the coil that is spread apart more...i believe I cut 1 full coil in the back and 3/4 coil in front. I left all iso's in.. Some people take them off in order to lower them a bit more without cutting more. As far as 315's it is highly recommended to go with a 10.5 in rim..You will need the buttoned head irs bolt in order not to rub. I didn't use any spacers either.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Red Turtle

ALWAYS WATCHING
Super Moderator
Hello fellow Termi owners, I know there are a few threads about this already but none of them have all my answers. If you would kindly help me out, instead of being a douche about it like some of the people I've asked for help on this website, I would greatly appreciate it.

1st and foremost, why do some people remove the spring ISO's? I thought they were for stability.

LOTS of people are saying, cut from the bottom on the front springs, bottom from the rear springs, some are saying otherwise. What is the recommended way to cut these?

I am planning on purchasing wider tires next summer, 315s to be exact, with a possibility of using 1/4 spacers. I have zero clue how much I should cut the springs if I want to make this possible with the tire size. Will there be any tire rub? And what should I do about the IRS bolt? Swap it out for the shorter diameter?

I'm only 21 years old so I hope you all understand why I know so little about this. The car was purchased three years ago and I haven't done a single thing to it since, bone stock (besides the rims the previous owner put on it).

it's a 10th Anniversary Convertible. Nitto 275s w/GT rims :??: no clue in why he would switch out the 10th. ann. rims for these ugly ones, bottom line, I hate the rims, tires, and ride height this car has. Needs to be changed ASAP!

I have heard that a lot of Vert guys buy a set of coupe springs to cut. I cut 1 coil all around and left in all ISO's. This gave me two fingers from the top of tire to the fender.

The reason most take out the ISO's is because they want the car to be lower after installing the springs. Cutting the springs is a great option for the 03-04 cobra as the spring rate is generally not changed, while retaining the ISO's. 90% of the people lower their car for looks, so the die hard guys that track their cars will tell you to get a set of springs.

Last edited:

Tims97SVT

Established Member
You cut the side that's not flat, the flat is what rest on the body. Removing the rubber iso's is a no no. Metal to metal is never a good thing! Also you need to think about how much you cut. I cut 1 coil all the way around and this pos drags everywhere. Plus it handles like ass, it was much better before. Cutting springs is a cheap but wrong way to do suspension. I will be changing mine in the near future. That's how much I dislike it!!!

ibitehard

snakeBITE!!
Established Member
So does having a Vert make THAT much of a difference? this is what my car looks like now
AWZmKl.png

Last edited:

Red Turtle

ALWAYS WATCHING
Super Moderator
It Looks stupid doesn't it haha. I need wheels/tires/suspension modifications done to this thing BADLY :cryying:

Buy some coupe springs and cut 3/4 of a coil. The search the market section and pick up some wheels. Anything looks better than bullitts IMO.

WOTjunkie

SvtP Resident Asshole
Established Member
This is the Cobra section right?... For a minute there I thought I accidentally entered some ricer forum.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
My car is still on stock springs and shocks and it handles great.(for what it is)

However when I cut my springs I was not going for a look, I was going for a slightly lower CG and better handling.

An awful lot of lowering jobs mess up the handling.

I cut 1/3 of coil in the rear and 1/4 of a coil in the front.

I was not the slightest bit interested in scraping every where I go or hearing people say "tight stance bro".:rollseyes:bored:

Works for me.

Isos are for NVH, I left them all in.

beeradd

Established Member
I cut 1/2 coil on all corners and left the factory iso's. The ride feels the same, I don't scrape, and it got rid of the 4x4 look.

kingcobra8541

The Dude
Established Member
If you are afraid to screw up cutting the springs yourself I have a set that I will be selling soon. Shoot me a pm. I went with H&R springs when I swapped to a SRA and coil overs in the front.

DSGWhippedSnake

Right you are ken
Established Member
Yes you want to cut the bottoms. The tops of the springs are flattened to sit as flush as possible, you do not want to cut that. Here's mine, cut about 3/4 of a coil off all around with only top iso's in. Rides, handles and sits nicely. I didn't want to be scraping everywhere so it's not that low. Already went through the slammed phase with my 01, it looked awesome but wasn't worth it
DSCN0787.jpg

DSCN0789.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread