Carbon/ceramic brakes for Mustangs!

oldmodman

Established Member
I knew someone would make them someday. Carbon/ceramic brake rotors. They really look great. But I want to hear from an actual purchaser that tracks his (or her) car.

Don't know the prices, and only available for 2005 to 2012 Mustangs so far.

Here is a link.

Turbine Brake Rotors

Anabolic

Banned
so they're almost like a clutch disc? i don't know but would love to see reveiws/life spans/performance graphs.. i would be interested

yeahhh we need these for cobras if they don't cost 2k for a set -.-

Last edited:

SlowSVT

Established Member
Interesting

The concept is cool but some of the details are a bit sketchy (fade resistance, initial bite, resistance to warping ect ect) and I wonder what it would be like to actually live with these on your car. Looks like a lot of the heat will be directed at the pads......and caliper. The video at Watkins Glen was taking on a tight and crowded track and wasn't very hard on the brakes. They should have brought it to a big track and tape it hauling the car down from 160 mph lap after lap and then show us what's left of the disc and pads. The brake squeal was very apparent which would get old pretty fast :cuss:

Should be interesting to see how these work in the real world. Losing all that mass is very appealing but I'm not convinced this is the way to do it.

Out of curiosity I went to the local Porsche dealer to price a pair of their ceramic rotors over the counter since they share the same bolt pattern. $5000 each not including hats :eek:

edit: Porshe and Mustangs don't share the same bolt pattern :cuss: 5 x 130 mm vs 114.3 mm (4.50"). Where did someone tell me that they were the same? :nonono:

Last edited:

SlowSVT

Established Member
none the less would love a set for the cobra if they're like 1000 max per SET, not bad

After watching this you will know why that's not likely to happen :nonono:

How It's Made - Ceramic Brake Discs (Brembo) - YouTube

I would imagine they will become more readily available. For 3 bills I would all over that. Its all that loss of rotating mass. My 14 x 1.25 Wilwood discs weigh 19 lbs ea and I hate it! You would be astounded by the effect magnesium wheels has on a motorcycle or what adding mass to the flywheel does. Now, every form of rotating mass is my enemy :fm:

Perhaps Brembo could cut some hats to fit a Mustang :coolman: They do for the ZR1

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
I knew someone would make them someday. Carbon/ceramic brake rotors. They really look great. But I want to hear from an actual purchaser that tracks his (or her) car.

Don't know the prices, and only available for 2005 to 2012 Mustangs so far.

Here is a link.

Turbine Brake Rotors

I saw those at the PRI show in Orlando last fall. Talked with them for a while.
Quality looked very good, interested to say the least!:thumbsup:

SlowSVT

Established Member
They also have a version with stainless steel friction surface :dw:

On sportbikes we couldn't get rid of the SS discs fast enough and swap them out for iron. Stainless does not "grab" like iron. Other then lightness and rust resistance this disc doesn't make much sense.

mu22stang

[_==[_=_][_=_3[_=_< /_=_\
Established Member
They also have a version with stainless steel friction surface :dw:

On sportbikes we couldn't get rid of the SS discs fast enough and swap them out for iron. Stainless does not "grab" like iron. Other then lightness and rust resistance this disc doesn't make much sense.

The term upgraded brakes doesn't mean improved stopping power for A LOT of people.

Jefe

Established Member
Check with the ZR1 guys on the ceramic rotors. Heard they are a pain in the ass to work around as they damage easily and are stupid expensive. Most tire shops aren't allowed to remove the wheels, the customer has to

Todd TCE

Established Member
Check with the Stop-Tech folks. They put out some promo a few years back about getting into that (level) market. Not sure it came to be but doesn't hurt to ask.

Most of the mainstream folks are unlikely to do it. At least anytime soon. It's tough enough to get folks to spend $2k these days let alone 2X that one one rotor...! lol

*Interesting read. Not truly what you, I, and others where thinking of compared to Porsche, Ferrari etc. An interesting spin on the idea however. Don't see the weight savings being quite the cat's ass tho.

**Stainless inners?? Not sure I'm on board wit this. Stainless is not an ideal heat sink material. Sure; they last forever and have lower wear and heat. Great. Where does that heat go? To the pad and caliper. You can't change the physics of it; stopping is a thermal thing- same reason the Ti rotor plan is only good for light weight and low demand apps.

*** "The change from cast iron to stainless steel eliminates unsightly rusted rotors and the reduction in braking efficiency that comes from rusted and pitted braking surfaces. Green benefits...." Seriously?? These are the market reasons for such a product. Are these folks really in touch with their core buyers? Let's see.....Race weekend: Fuel-check, Spare wheel nuts- check, Radios- check, No rust, environmentally friendly rotors....yup got that.

Last edited:

SVT_Troy

Established Member
haha F that noise! 2k for a rotor..... I can't see that being even close to being worth the money.....

SlowSVT

Established Member
Check with the ZR1 guys on the ceramic rotors. Heard they are a pain in the ass to work around as they damage easily and are stupid expensive. Most tire shops aren't allowed to remove the wheels, the customer has to

This is an interesting post. Any links to the ZR1 thread? $2000 Brittle rotors would not be very appealing.

Jefe

Established Member
I was told that by a Discount Tire manager, they will not allow any employee or manager to remove wheels on ZR1s or any car with carbon ceramic rotors. Too much liability

Heres a thread: Brake Rotor Protector - Corvette Forum

Here: OK guys - need some advice..... - Corvette Forum

And here: Wheel Removal - Corvette Forum

Pricing: ZR1 Brake maintenance - Corvette Forum

$1700 each rotor, $900 for pads

They come with "rotor protectors" haha

DSCN4041-1.jpg

Just found this as well: Just had the car detailed: Carbon Ceramic rotors - Corvette Forum

No chemicals can get on them at all, including cleaning chemicals

Last edited:

SVT_Troy

Established Member
Oh man I don't know about yall but I sure am interested and can't wait to throw my hard earned coin on brakes that cost almost as much as a new built engine or blower on my street/strip car needs them! I bet that they provide 4k+ worth of improvement over a bembo,venom,wilwood 14" big brake kit that is already track tested and approved :xpl:

I'd love to see the idiot that buys this for a cobra come in and explain this. Rich mofo's with nothing else better to spend there coin on are excluded! :coolman:

SlowSVT

Established Member
Jefe

Outstanding! Thanks for posting the links. "Real world" experience matters and your post puts things into perspective. Paying extra coin for a mod sometimes can be justified. But if it's "fragile" I won't have anything to do with it. Didn't consider what Windex or WD-40 would do to $4000 worth of Brembo pie plates :nonono:

Russ :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread