stripped MM low profile IRS bolt

01fast2v

Established Member
i was trying to drop my irs down to put my spring isolators back in and the passengers side hex head maximum motorsports bolt stripped out and is completely round inside! ive heard this is kindof common with these bolts but the problem is i can NOT get it out. ive tried EVERYTHING except welding a bolt on it but i dont have a welder nor do i know how to weld nor is the car driveable to a shop right now. i tried to use a cut off wheel and square the head of the bolt so i can grab it or smash a shocket on it but all my sockets are too big or too small. none fit right. and ive also tried making a notch in it and getting a screw driver which didnt work either. the only thing i can grab it with is vice grips but i cant get enough leverage to get out a 70 ft lb bolt out with vice grips unless someone has a trick or something. :fm: im going crazy trying to remove this bolt! if anyone has ANY ideas, please post up!

Last edited:

earico

It's 4:20 somewhere...
Established Member
Once the head is completely ground off the 70lb of torque should be gone. Then just drill the center out and put the biggest reverse thread extractor you can inside without the sidewalls of the bolt being too thin. The bigger the extractor the less of a chance you have of breaking it. You break an extractor inside the bolt then you are really screwed so take your time and exercise patience.

AKcobra

Established Member
Mine were stripped too. I cut a slot down the center of the head. Then used a air hammer with a flat chisel end and punched it around until it was free enough to screw out a large flat tip screwdriver. I replaced them with bolts, and ground down the bolt head for clearance. Now I can use a socket. Hope that helps you out.

Greg Perez

Established Member
BTW, Sears has an External extractor set that grabs the outside of a bolt or even a stud as you turn it counterclockwise. Good Luck

01fast2v

Established Member
wound up buying a set of extractors from Matco that were reverse thread on one end and a 6 point head on the other end so you could get a socket on it. came right out!

quad

Established Member
Would it help to lube the hell out of the low profile bolt with wd-40 the first time you bolt it in? Not sure if that would lessen the change of the head hole rounding out? I would think so because it would go in / out easier? :shrug:

Last edited:

quad

Established Member
Just read that relieving the pressure on the IRS would also help when extracting these bolts.

Jomo1994z71

Can I get a KB WooWee!
Established Member
Thanks for the update...I dread the time when I have to remove mine as I remember the Low-profile bolts did not go in super smoothly!

TNTLightning

DSG Terminator
Established Member
FYI, instead of vice grips, a small pipe wrench would have done the trick. But, glad you were able to get it out.

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
Thanks for the update...I dread the time when I have to remove mine as I remember the Low-profile bolts did not go in super smoothly!

i was too, and today my fears were realized :fm:

i had already bought a set of stock bolts to replace them with because i had read of some horror stories, and tried to be super careful about it , but sure enough, one side stripped. not sure what i am going to try, but these screw extractor sets look prety good

Dawgstang

Established Member
Try valve grinding compound that is sold at any auto parts store. I've had my mm bolts out a few times with no issues. Put the compound on the Allen wrench then install in bolt. The stuff gives you a little extra grip.

Users who are viewing this thread