Still have wheel hop after irs kit.

justa281

Established Member
So my 03 had some pretty violent wheel hop when I bought it. The suspension was 99% stock. It had MM sub frame polly bushings and thats it. I did the whole cut springs thing, 18" wheels and sits on nt555r 305/35/18 tires. Shocks are newer but just bilstein factory replacements i believe. I bought a complete delrin irs bushing kit really thinking this would fix it. And usually it does from what i have read. Im not here to bash a company's product because it is a very high quality kit and the kit is not the problem. Im trying to figure out what else could cause this issue. The irs bushing kit did not help at all so it is somewhere else. Alignment, tire pressure, cut springs? But remember, it hopped before all the mods.

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
it didnt reduce it at all? my vert still has it after the kit, but verts in general have that problem more than coupes, but still it was alot better after doing the kit

justa281

Established Member
it didnt reduce it at all? my vert still has it after the kit, but verts in general have that problem more than coupes, but still it was alot better after doing the kit

Didn't change at all. I'm kind of thinking about going mildly built sra. But i can't stand the thought of losing that irs exhaust look.

frank5o

Bleed Ford Blue
Established Member
Ya man how bad are we talking? These cars will hop no matter what under the right conditions, sometimes you have to feather the throttle. Is there no other driving problems to speak of?

justa281

Established Member
Its bad enough to break half shafts, and im trying to prevent that. Its violent like a pick up truck when it starts to hop. When i lay into first it hopps every time. But once in a while it wont at all. Just spin.

Termilvr

Established Member
What tire do you have and how much power you making?

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

frank5o

Bleed Ford Blue
Established Member
Maybey your tires are beat? I'm trying not to jump to conclusions. Sounds like your expectations are high. My car makes similar power, and I'm on stock suspension. The car only feels good on fresh sticky rubber. Every time my rear tires are questionable my car spins like crazy and hops like mad. If your serious about dragging then SRA might be the way to go.

justa281

Established Member
Well i figured the hop would be somewhat limited now. Tires are worn pretty well. Still not to the ware bars :) lol. Tires are nt555r in 305/35/18 making 442/468

justa281

Established Member
Are you sure you're experiencing wheel hop after the bushing kit and not a pinion angle related issue?

Im not going to deny that. But why would it only hop when i break the tires loose. If it was pinion angle( which is static in an irs car) wouldnt it make noise or whatever all the time. Not just in 1st when i spin. And i can hear rubber chirping and feel the car bounce. But i would love it to be a simple fix like pinion angle:)

Juiced46

I love being Blown
Established Member
What kind of tire pressure do you run in those nittos? Drop them down to around 22psi COLD and give that a try. Tires play a HUGE roll in wheel hop

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
What did you set the rear alignment settings to?

Tie rods(toe links) tight and not worn?

Axis joint tight and not worn?

How many miles on this car?

I only get a slight hop if I spin in the rain.

justa281

Established Member
What kind of tire pressure do you run in those nittos? Drop them down to around 22psi COLD and give that a try. Tires play a HUGE roll in wheel hop

Ill definitely give that a try. I have not been to the track this season so i forgot about tire pressure for the street. I usually change it then but i just mounted them a couple weeks ago so im sure the tire shop has them as hard as a rock.

justa281

Established Member
What did you set the rear alignment settings to?

Tie rods(toe links) tight and not worn?

Axis joint tight and not worn?

How many miles on this car?

I only get a slight hop if I spin in the rain.

There is 120k miles on it. Everything was tight, no torn boots, had good lubrication on all parts when i inspected them. Didnt feel any lateral slop or gritty feeling rotation, like a worn joint usually does. The bushings that came out of it even looked good. I bought it from an older man who daily drove it and had a 4" thick file of every service record since he bought it new. Car looks better than most 30k mile cobras Ive seen. It was religiously maintenanced. I do need to get an alignment though, i just got it put back together this morning. So tire pressure and alignment will hopfully help.

SVT_Troy

Established Member
Where did you get this delrin bushing kit from? Was it an official FTBR kit? Who installed it? There was someone on here a few months ago trying to sell a knockoff FTBR kit. Guy got bashed pretty tough by members here, Bruce confirmed it wasn't his kit and I saw it on ebay a couple weeks later.....

justa281

Established Member
Im not going to get into whos kit it was cause i know what this thread will turn into. It was a high quality kit. Built specifically for this car. And fit pefectly the way $800 worth of bushings should. It is acting identical to pre installation of the kit. So this leads me to believe i have a flaw in my suspension setup. Whether it be tires, alignment, springs, shocks, or all of it. I think the guys above hit it with alignment and tire pressure issues.

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
ISo this leads me to believe i have a flaw in my suspension setup. Whether it be tires, alignment, springs, shocks, or all of it.

i have been learning something very weird lately about wheel hop with these cars. as in said ealier, my vert had really bad wheel hop from the time i bought it new, and while the kit improved it drastically, it did not eliminate it, and it's still way too unpredictable for my liking.

but i just bought a coupe a couple of weeks that has 100% stock suspension, f1 street tires, not even a brace, and cannot believe it but this car basically has ZERO wheel hop. i have launched it from a dead stop in all weather using techniques that would have rattled the orange car to pieces, but to no avail. just a smooth spin, regardless of the angle.

makes no sense, but maybe some cars have it and some cars don't :??:

Users who are viewing this thread